Thread: Swell Road and Canyon Conditions?

Swell Road and Canyon Conditions?

Anyone been over to the Swell recently? I'm planning on doing Music, Squeeze (Segers Hole), Quandary Direct, Knotted Rope (Miners Hollow), Baptist Draw and Chute Canyons this weekend.

Anyone done any of those recently? I'm most interested in finding out water conditions for Squeeze, Quandary and Knotted. Full, mid or low? How cold is the water? Full on wetsuits, shorties?

How is Chute? (Since it changes so frequently...) Water?

How is the road to Hidden Splendor? To the top of Baptist Draw (the cowboy camp?) To Quandary (the old car?) 2WD? High-Clearance 2WD? AWD? (Subaru) or 4WD?

BTW, for those who didn't know; Tom is having a canyon fest from 5/3-5/7; and will be at Hidden Splendor from 5/3 - 5/5 and then Granary Springs for the remaining time. My group will either be at Hidden Splendor or somewhere close to there; but there is only 5 in my group. I think Tom will have over 30.

Thanks for any info!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The road to hidden splendor is in pretty good shape right now. A 2wd can make it without much of a problem. Too quandary canyon trail head.. It is rough. I took my Subaru outback all the way to the trail head. There was one steep uphill in the road that I had to position a rock to help avoid bottoming out. I did have to hit it with a little bit of speed. after that there are a few more rough spots just go really slow and you should be OK.. I would not recommend trying to get a 2wd car to the quandary trail head. In Quandary there were a few jump-ins that were mandatory. Unless you want to place some bolts. We lowered one person down to check out the landing zones

Segers hole: We went through there last weekend and It was empty. But it is most likely full right now. About 3/4 the way through the canyon it started to down pour on us. We got out of there in a hurry!! The canyon was flowing by the time we finished. The last rappel was a full on waterfall. kinda cool but not really!! I am not sure how much we beat the flash flood by but I am betting it was pretty close!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrabe1979
    The canyon was flowing by the time we finished. The last rappel was a full on waterfall. kinda cool but not really!! I am not sure how much we beat the flash flood by but I am betting it was pretty close!!
    You too huh? It flashed on us a few years back just after the first big drop. The rest of the hike was done in waterfalls.

Scenic...but scary as hell!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.