Thread: New SUV Accessories Touted As Alternative To Backpack

New SUV Accessories Touted As Alternative To Backpack

SUVs Outfitted for Rugged Camping Experience

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1153020

Ashley Hayes Reporting

Often at this time of year we go looking for the latest in recreational and camping gear to show you. This year, it found us.

One fully-"Equipt" truck caught the eye of our executive producer, and we just had to learn more about it.

Last spring we went looking for the latest outfitting gear, from new GPS systems to lightweight cooking equipment. This time we're talking about outfitting your SUV for rugged camping so you don't have to carry all of your gear on your back.

Small-businessman Paul May is the owner of Equipt Expedition Outfitters. An Inspector Gadget-like tent on wheels -- or car roof tent, if you prefer -- grabbed Paul May's eye as he was traveling around southern Utah. He was so impressed by the African concept and design that he had to have one, and figured so did every other outdoor enthusiast. Now he sells them.

"I saw there being an increasing need for products for people that wanted to travel on the off-beaten path," May explained. "Top travel safety with some of the amenities you don't usually see when you get off road and climb up some of the harder trails."

The concept is based on safari travel. The idea is to camp up, high away from the critters and the ground for safety. But at the same time this provides a room with a view.

"You are on top of your vehicle, so you have 360-degree views," May said.

There's also a privacy quarters to set up off the tailgate. "It gives you a chance to change [into] your flannel p.j.s before you go to bed if you'd like," May explained.

Smaller outdoor toys include a 12-volt refrigerator- freezer powered by the cigarette lighter. That means you can make ice cream while on the road!

Everything is travel efficient, including water storage and trunk shelves. And in the end it all folds up flat, ready to go wherever the paved or dirt road takes him.

May says he gets lots of attention. "They take a good look at the vehicle and, 'Wow, what in the world has that guy got going on?'"

The tents cost a few thousand dollars and, like a car, you can add about as many options as you desire.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Does it bother anybody else that this is being presented as an alternative to a backpack? I think the idea is sound because instead of having the impact of a vehicle and a tent you just have the impact of a vehicle. I just think that saying, "This time we're talking about outfitting your SUV for rugged camping so you don't have to carry all of your gear on your back," is misleading at best and irresponsible at worst. When I go backpacking I make a conscious decision to leave the trappings of powered transportation behind.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

wow... thaks for the tips KSL.

This is just like the Pontiac Aztec, with the "tent" accessory coming out of the back. That vehicle continues to dominate the marketplace.

The kids got tired of camping in the driveway twice a year.

Isn't "SUV" and "rugged camping experience" an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Not always. Paul and a few friends just got back from an 800 mile dirt road trip through Baja, Mexico.

This stuff is more for expedition type off-road travelling. It's not for the average SUV-owning family.

It's a Lexus

I for one would buy something like that. I bow hunt and spend about 10 hours a day hunting, this would be great to hike back to everynight.

Beats a bag and a bivy!
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

I think it has its place. I know a handful of people who will not go camping without their little pop up trailer. That is thier comfort level, and if thats what they need to enjoy the outdoors, so be it.

I think KSL's reporting sucks ass on this story, it looks like a paid ad.

I would much rather have fourtycals rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I would much rather have fourtycals rig.

If we were to continue the trend in reporting that KSL has started, fourtycal's rig would be entitled "New SUV accessories touted as alternative to house."