Thread: Dark Canyon

Dark Canyon

Taking Scott and Wasatch's advice to spend three days here (3 days, 2 nights).... I've never been there before... any beta you can offer?

Thanks!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have David Day's book, which I used to lead a backpack there.

if you only have 2-3 days, i'd recommend spending it in the lower canyon, which is the most scenic. the entire canyon is wonderful and worthy of exploration, but 2-3 days would allow you much exploration from the sundance trail upwards towards black steer as well as downcanyon towards the colorado river ... an unforgettable area.

you may want to look at this page too

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

Here ya go minus map and trailhead directions, you need to buy the book for that.

http://www.utahtravelcenter.com/acti...darkcanyon.htm

Thanks, guys. I have Daniel Day's book and looked it up there - perfect. Thanks for the info.

Tree.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Re: Dark Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Taking Scott and Wasatch's advice to spend three days here (3 days, 2 nights).... I've never been there before... any beta you can offer?

Thanks!
    Sweet! I say take the Sundance Trail down - fantastic trip. When are you planning on this? I was there last couple days of May last year - very freaking hot. Just don't get sick - I did, and was miserable... Bailed and recuperated in Moab. Mmm, Walker Drugs.

Oh, just went and looked around some more... Memorial Day? That's late May, right? Hot. But very nice, and lots of water that far down the canyon.

Yeah, I was wondering about that - the heat. I'm not a hot weather person so we may have to think twice. I'm good to 90, max, but it's gonna be hotter than that, and it might be, that aint good. I get the feeling it's not particularly shady down there....?

I wonder what other options there may be....

Yes it is very hot. Be careful on the way down. Its intimidating.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I wonder what other options there may be....
    Probably Zion, since it has water you can hike it. Zion Narrows, Zion Narrows up to and including Orderville Gulch, Subway from the Top or Bottom, Right Fork of North Fork.

Yeah, I was wondering about that - the heat. I'm not a hot weather person so we may have to think twice. I'm good to 90, max, but it's gonna be hotter than that, and it might be, that aint good. I get the feeling it's not particularly shady down there....?
    Don't worry about the heat, with the exception of hiking out the Sundance Trail. Dark Canyon is one of the best hot weather hikes around. The canyon is laced with waterfalls and huge (I mean up to swimming pool sized) pools of water that all beckon "swim in me". Just hike out the Sundance Trail in the very early morning. Heat is not a problem in the canyon, at least not from just below Black Steer Canyon and down.

Best section of Dark Canyon is between Lost an Youngs Canyon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I did Dark Canyon from the lake up, the approach was easy. Probably be a few years before you can do that again.

I only spent one day in the canyon, wish I could have spent more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man, that looks nice! Seriously, you dont think it will be too hot, ay? Maybe we'll get lucky, I really want to go there!!

Seriously, you dont think it will be too hot, ay?
    No and that goes especially for the section between Lost and Youngs and most of the section close to Lake Powell. Only the Sundance Trail will be really hot. As mentioned, the canyon is laced with big swimming holes and waterfalls making hot weather fine.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yup, swimming pool sized is right. The deep pool you can see in the photo below was about 15-20 feet across, and much longer. Going downstream from Sundance was where I found the best pools.

Yes, I whined about the heat (pay no attention), but the water was fabulous. Some great shaded campsites almost immediately downstream from Sundance, too. Left bank, looking down canyon.

Seriously, you dont think it will be too hot, ay?
    By the way, as a subject matter expert, that is spelled "eh?", eh.

Also, to navigate the canyon, stay to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    By the way, as a subject matter expert, that is spelled "eh?", eh.
    you know how canada got it's name right

Thanks, ya'all!