Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: uUtah June Canyoneering Trip

should have read the description for black hole from climb-utah first,

"The Black Hole contains several very long and cold swims. Wetsuits are suggested in all but extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus). Hypothermia is a serious possibility"
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: uUtah June Canyoneering Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    uUtah June Canyoneering Trip
    Official Thread

It looks like the forum is interested in a June 9/10 canyoneering trip. It is currently in the discussion and planning stage. Here is what has been suggested to date:

June 9: Black Hole
    June 10: ?

Everyone is invited. Please read up on the Black Hole and feel free to ask questions. Last year this was a fun weekend and we had a reasonable mix of experienced canyoneers and noob's. Hopefully things will flush out about the same this year.

Black Hole Info
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

Feel free to make suggestions.....
    Hmmm, I think Hesse has been wanting to do the black hole... Might be a fun time to do it.

Conundrum/Zero-g could be a nice link-up for day 2. C'mon Ice, Horse Tanks is right in the area too, and I don't think you've done it yet... Sure, it's not the prettiest canyon on the block, but average canyons need love too....

Fry doesn't get high marks from me. Nice little canyon, but the water quality in there can be down right epic. Not "oh it's a little dirty" epic. Think 3rd world sewer epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    but what's the logic of combining Zero-G with Fry? They are probably 100 miles apart?
    Zero-G is a great canyon and is on my drive home

9th is probably only weekend I have open.

Conundrum/Zero-g is my preferred combo meal. I don't rate Fry very high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    should have read the description for black hole from climb-utah first,

"The Black Hole contains several very long and cold swims. Wetsuits are suggested in all but extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus). Hypothermia is a serious possibility"
    I've done the Black Hole about 4 times, and all four times I've never had a wetsuit. But then again, I did it in the dead of August, when outside temps were in the triple digits -- and even then, there were spots where we were shivering cold, and bolting for the sunshine at every opportunity.

I would say for maximum satisfaction, get a wetsuit to do the Black Hole. Odds are if you don't have one, you'll live, but you won't enjoy the canyon.

Some wetsuit advice: get a full-body wetsuit - not a shorty. The thickness should be 3mm for the average person, or 5mm for those who get cold easily.

If you live in SLC and don't own a wetsuit, don't fret - there are plenty of places that will rent you a wetsuit for $20 bucks for the entire weekend -- Sportcove Scuba in WVC is where I've rented from before - they're great!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

UofU Rec program rents Farmer Johns for $12 bucks for a weekend (Pickup Friday drop off Monday).

I am open for 2nd or 9th and will be driving from SLC Friday night.

I guess that it's just as well that the date doesn't change to the 2nd since I will be knee deep in my Doctoral Comprehensive Exams.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Noob here and I might be interested in joining you hoodlums. I didn't read about any rappelling, only a few climbing sections and some swimming. Sounds fun.

I'll check my schedule but this should be good for me. I'll also be good to work something up for dinner.

Are you putting a limit on the number of people going? I think I can go, but I won't know for a few weeks.

I can probably scare up a couple extra wetsuits. Also ask around among friends, lots of folks have wetsuits stashed somewhere they don't really use. This canyon is not hard on wetsuits so there should be no problems with thrashing a loaner. Summer weight shorties are just fine for this route, but not the suit to buy if you intend to continue the sport. If purchasing its good to know that Sportsmens warehouse sells nice 3/2 full wet suits for $49.

There are no rappels in this canyon.

The Black Hole can handle a large group. If the group gets to big we can split into two.

Is anyone going down, but NOT doing the canyons? I would like to join, but I can't abandon my wife, and since she caught the pregnants she's probably not interested in canyoning. So, if anyone is hanging back in camp maybe she can keep 'em company.

At any rate, put me firmly on the "Possibly" list.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    maybe she can keep 'em company.
    Is this how she caught the pregnants?

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    maybe she can keep 'em company.
    Is this how she caught the pregnants?
    I saw that one coming.

Saturday

I would like to join, though I would only stay for the Saturday canyon.
    I live in Salt Lake so if there is anybody that would like to carpool down on Friday night and come back Saturday evening maybe we could work something out.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

I rearranged my schedule so now I am in for the Black Hole. If I promise to cook some Dutch Oven potatoes will you promise not to abandon me in the canyon?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

If you are going to be in charge of cooking, just let us know if you need us to bring anything or just give you the cash for the groceries. Last time itchy supplied everything for dinner and it turned out pretty good and easy.

I'll supply the beers (since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    If you are going to be in charge of cooking, just let us know if you need us to bring anything or just give you the cash for the groceries. Last time itchy supplied everything for dinner and it turned out pretty good and easy.

I'll supply the beers (since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.
    I'll take some Squatters IPA, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    (since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.
    I drink all the Fierce flavors. . .

I cant believe Brewhaha is coming with the dutch oven goods. This is going to be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I drink all the Fierce flavors. . .
    Is that a brand? Liquor store or Uuuuutah beer?