View Poll Results: As a mountain biker, do you support wilderness designation, as long as it is reasonable and still le

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only if there will still be many other areas to ride

7 33.33%
  • Neutral on the subject

2 9.52%
  • No, I do not support wilderness areas since they don't allow mountain bikes

7 33.33%
  • Yes no matter what the proposal

1 4.76%
  • No, no matter what the proposal

4 19.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Biking Wilderness Poll

I totally think that there should be places designated as wilderness with no bikes or anything else. Like Death said, sometimes I just want to chill, walk quietly, and hear nothing but nature. I dont always want to be on the lookout for bikes. As a mountain biker I find I have no shortage of great places to ride, and as a hiker, I would like to have the same option of having no shortage of great places to walk in peace. I see nothing wrong with that.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I totally think that there should be places designated as wilderness with no bikes or anything else. Like Death said, sometimes I just want to chill, walk quietly, and hear nothing but nature. I dont always want to be on the lookout for bikes. As a mountain biker I find I have no shortage of great places to ride, and as a hiker, I would like to have the same option of having no shortage of great places to walk in peace. I see nothing wrong with that.
    Even beyond that, wilderness designation is not always done with the object of permitting or enhancing certain human activities.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Horses vs Bikes.

I'm not a horse hater, because I own some. To ban bikes but not horses? Prejudice.

Horses tear up the trail more, and are louder. I think the whole mechanical thing is a bad classification. What is the definition of mechanical? Why are GPS' allowed? My knee brace? The reigns on the horse? The newest technology in backpacks? If mechanized travel is banned, I probably won't be able to hike the trail nowadays, you should see the shoes available now.

I love seclusion as well. I hate seeing other parties near my camp, it kind of ruins the weekend. We just have to work a little harder and change our timing for those secret spots.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I agree with Tree Hugger. I am a regular mountain biker who fully supports wilderness designation. There are places that are appropriate to ride and places that aren't, that should be set aside for foot traffic. Sombeech does have a point that there is a bit of a double standard regarding horses and mountain bikes. However, I don't think this is reason to allow mountain bikes into wilderness areas, but rather to restrict horses to certain trails?

The one big change I'd like to see to the wilderness rules is the elimination of domestic livestock grazing. It seems obvious that such practices are in fundamentally conflict with the concept of wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by brettyb
    The one big change I'd like to see to the wilderness rules is the elimination of domestic livestock grazing. It seems obvious that such practices are in fundamentally conflict with the concept of wilderness.
    I feel this same way. I was raised around the dairy so I'm not anti cow or anything. But when I feel I've worked pretty hard to get away from civilization just to see some cattle grazing nearby, it kind of lowers my self satisfaction. It's like, "I guess people come up here quite often then, to tend this herd."

Our conflict is this; We love the outdoors, love to share our experiences with others, and essentially invite more people to the trails. But we just don't want to run into them.

As far as mechanized travel, we realize that snowmobiles are allowed in these areas as well, just as long as the snow covers the ground. This bias is all mixed up.

I have to agree if these are going to be true wilderness areas then nothing should be allowed in, just people. No horses no nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    As far as mechanized travel, we realize that snowmobiles are allowed in these areas as well, just as long as the snow covers the ground. This bias is all mixed up.
    Sorry. Snowmobiles are NOT allowed in designated Wilderness. Neither are deer carts, horse drawn buggies, and so on. You can't parachute into a Wilderness area or parachute drop supplies into a Wilderness area, you can't take off or land a hang glider. On waters in Wilderness areas, sailboards and sailboats are prohibited.

About the only thing that's inconsistant with current agency management regarding mechanical transport is river rafts or boats using oars and oarlocks (lever/fulcrum machine element) as opposed to a simple paddle.

ADA allows use of wheelchairs in Wilderness areas, but this is limited to wheelchairs that could be used in a public building, and the agency that's managing the Wilderness area isn't required to provide trails that are wheelchair accessible.

There can be exceptions for Search & Rescue, as was recently done in Utah (Pine Mountain Wilderness).

Wilderness designation is fine... in moderation. There's around 2 million acres of additional BLM Wilderness I could support in Utah. But the Red Rock Wilderness Act is absurd. My opinion is based on detailed review on-the-ground of its various incarnations since the early 1990's. Gee whiz, I even have a copy of "Wilderness at the Edge".

What's really exposed in threads like this is extreme ignorance regarding Wilderness. There are numerous other possible designations or planning direction that could be used to achieve the "why Wilderness gives me a big woody" reasons that are given above and in similar threads. Why are all these alternatives ignored?

Oh yeah, just about every time I've been in a Wilderness area, at least one plane flew near enough that its sound was noticeable. I'm sure glad I don't have so many bugs up my butt that it "spoiled my whole day."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Sorry. Snowmobiles are NOT allowed in designated Wilderness. Neither are deer carts, horse drawn buggies, and so on. You can't parachute into a Wilderness area or parachute drop supplies into a Wilderness area, you can't take off or land a hang glider. On waters in Wilderness areas, sailboards and sailboats are prohibited.

About the only thing that's inconsistant with current agency management regarding mechanical transport is river rafts or boats using oars and oarlocks (lever/fulcrum machine element) as opposed to a simple paddle.

ADA allows use of wheelchairs in Wilderness areas, but this is limited to wheelchairs that could be used in a public building, and the agency that's managing the Wilderness area isn't required to provide trails that are wheelchair accessible.

There can be exceptions for Search & Rescue, as was recently done in Utah (Pine Mountain Wilderness).

Wilderness designation is fine... in moderation. There's around 2 million acres of additional BLM Wilderness I could support in Utah. But the Red Rock Wilderness Act is absurd. My opinion is based on detailed review on-the-ground of its various incarnations since the early 1990's. Gee whiz, I even have a copy of "Wilderness at the Edge".

What's really exposed in threads like this is extreme ignorance regarding Wilderness. There are numerous other possible designations or planning direction that could be used to achieve the "why Wilderness gives me a big woody" reasons that are given above and in similar threads. Why are all these alternatives ignored?

Oh yeah, just about every time I've been in a Wilderness area, at least one plane flew near enough that its sound was noticeable. I'm sure glad I don't have so many bugs up my butt that it "spoiled my whole day."
    BIG DITTOS
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Wilderness areas are a good thing. I like to go out and never hear a car or bike or anything else but nature. I don't see how there hurting anything, if you want to see something walk up there or ride a horse. People need to realize that its not there right to ride there bike or there atv anywhere they please. I understand why there are no bikes its about no mechanized anything. Ever seen those poor trail guys having to cut huge tree's without a chainsaw? Everything is banned but horses and you and I think that's pretty cool to go some were like that.
    I still don't know which way to vote on this. A single-track bike trail has such a small impact on an area, that I think everyone could take something away from this if we were all to compromise a little bit.

Why not have a very limited number of bike trails allowed in a wilderness area and a few hiking trails as well? Those who want a "true" wilderness experience could use the hiking trails, and those who don't have months of freetime to spend walking vast distances could make use of the biking trails. Also, as much as I hate sharing trails with horses, they shouldn't be completely banned from wilderness areas IMO.

I don't understand how a person could be upset by encountering cattle in the backcountry. I'm not saying it isn't a valid concern just because I don't get it, but I really don't. Besides, it's kinda' fun seeing hobo cows out in the boonies. They react differently than urban cows. When I peddle by on the bike, sometimes they rush up to investigate me, and other times they run like hell.

I guess I suck at this environmentalist thing, but I try hard. I want to be a good environmentalist some day. My take on the subject is this: Easily reversible impact should be allowed, if it proves to be a problem then it can be scaled back or even eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger
    Sorry. Snowmobiles are NOT allowed in designated Wilderness. Neither are deer carts, horse drawn buggies, and so on.
    You're probably right. I may have my boundaries mixed up, but I did see a sign at the Christmas Meadows parking lot that prohibited bikes, but allowed snowmobiles as long as there was enough snow cover.

Quote Originally Posted by brettyb
    I agree with Tree Hugger. I am a regular mountain biker who fully supports wilderness designation. There are places that are appropriate to ride and places that aren't, that should be set aside for foot traffic. Sombeech does have a point that there is a bit of a double standard regarding horses and mountain bikes. However, I don't think this is reason to allow mountain bikes into wilderness areas, but rather to restrict horses to certain trails?
    well said
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Thanks for all the responses. I think it's fair to say that mountain bikers are split fairly down the middle when it comes to Wilderness issues. That's all we were curious to know.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Thanks for all the responses. I think it's fair to say that mountain bikers are split fairly down the middle when it comes to Wilderness issues. That's all we were curious to know.
    I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. An interesting discussion. The only problem with your poll question is that you used the term "reasonable" when talking about wilderness designation. What is reasonable? I think most people support wilderness at some level.

If you were to ask "do you support 40% of the BLM lands in Utah becoming wilderness?" I bet your response from this mountain biker group would not be "split down the middle".

If you were to say that under ARWA many single track trails in the Swell and Moab area would be closed, you would get a very different answer.

Support for wilderness is conditional upon how "reasonable" it really is. ARWA is not reasonable and needs to be defeated by those of use who enjoy mechanized recreation.