View Poll Results: As a mountain biker, do you support wilderness designation, as long as it is reasonable and still le

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only if there will still be many other areas to ride

7 33.33%
  • Neutral on the subject

2 9.52%
  • No, I do not support wilderness areas since they don't allow mountain bikes

7 33.33%
  • Yes no matter what the proposal

1 4.76%
  • No, no matter what the proposal

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking Wilderness Poll

Mountain Biking Wilderness Poll

As a mountain biker, do you support wilderness designation, as long as it is reasonable and still leaves many areas open to mountain biking (mountain bikes are not allowed in wilderness areas)?

Also, let me know if I should edit the poll options to read clearer.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am undecided and have mixed feelings on this issue. I believe there should be areas set aside as wilderness, so that people can get away from it all.
    My problem is about having horses doing lots more damage to trails than bikes ever do. Maybe "getting away from it all" also means getting away from horses, too. Where do you draw the line in mechanized? Saddles, bridles, harnesses......all products of technology.
    I'm not anti-horses so much as I am questioning the justification and consistency in establishing policies.
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

I feel the same was as Gixxer.
    There are so many areas I would like to ride but cant like the slick rock areas around temple mountain. I understand why you cant ride orv's up there but my bike would leave far less marks on the sandstone compared to an ATV or motor bike.

You can't answer these questions with a "yes" "no" or "Maybe" Scott, you ask really baited questions and it's rather . . .

I'm down for sharing the outdoors. If you're so concerned about running into other people that you can't allow activities that allow people to have fun while they're outside, antartica is a good option.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

You can't answer these questions with a "yes" "no" or "Maybe" Scott, you ask really baited questions and it's rather
    What questions are baited and how would you change them? I tried to make them as un baited as possible.

Read the below thread to see why the poll was started and why we were interested in some answers:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0

Tell me how you would rephrase the question or answers.

Otherwise, you can just state your opinion if no answer fits.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson

Iffins I wanted to read the environMENTALS issues section and pretend to have a say I would go there. Someone please move this to whence it belongs.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing

Iffins I wanted to read the environMENTALS issues section and pretend to have a say I would go there. Someone please move this to whence it belongs.
    its right where it needs to be.

Fine I will just ignore it since no one seems to share my opinion. I just think it is retarded just because it is specified to mountain bike it belongs here. We should make a thread like this in each section. Motor Bikers would you think that wilderness was okay if they allowed you to ride in it. (they currently do not). Or hikers do you think you should have to pack out the poop if you take a dump.

Sounds retarded to me. That is all.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

I am also the occasional horseback rider. I know that they rip up the trail pretty bad, especially in the mud.

I find it ironic to ban bicyclists in certain areas, who on average, are more environmentally aware of horseback riders.

I think the whole concept comes from "artificial tread" on the trail, as in tire tracks. We hear that it's about creating a single endless line on the trail that leads to erosion. But if hiker and horses frequent this trail, that should void the "single rut" theory.

It's my opinion that a 2.5" wide tire track causes less trail erosion than 2 5" wide shoe tracks, with a span of 2' wide.

Fine I will just ignore it since no one seems to share my opinion.
    Hey I been ignoring it all day It is an enviromental thread but what the hey.

As I age I feel less inclined to hike and more inclined to drive or ride. I believe in protecting certain land against certain things (being sold or leased and closed by enviromentaists or hunting groups or developers or private parties). but there has to be a good way to protect this land and allow public use to more than just hikers. What is wrong with designating corridor for existing roads and trails in wilderness area for motorized and non motorized use? Like the Dark Canyon motorized corridor from the Kigalia canyon trailhead to Scorup Cabin, what a great way to enjoy this historic place while jeeping,biking, atv's, etc.. and at the same time be surrounded by designated wilderness area.

Hmmm, does every thread on this site have to be controversial?

Two people were just curious about how many mountain bikers also support wilderness and how many mountain bikers do not. What so controveral or hard about that? I just thought it would be interesting.

I have made the questions with as little bias as possible, invited people to state their opinion and have even asked if anyone had a better idea about how to phrase the question or asnwers to be clearer.

What is so wrong with an innocently asked question in a thread?

I even added the phrase "as long as it is reasonable" to keep any extemism of any kind in the thread.

Here I just thought it would be an interesting poll? Or maybe it really was interesting, but not in the way I had hoped. If anyone else has a better idea of how to phrase the anwers or question then by all means, feel free to start a poll.

For anyone that does think the poll is interesting, feel free to answer. It is based solely on opinion and there are no right or wrong answers, nor was I planning to debate anyones answer here.

Or hikers do you think you should have to pack out the poop if you take a dump.
    I'm not the only one that packs out his own poop?

nor was I planning to debate anyones answer here.
    darnit!

Truth is I like it, as long as the good guys are ahead! and really I do want to hear your opinion. "What is wrong with designating corridor for existing roads and trails in wilderness area for motorized and non motorized use?"

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Tell me, is this really so bad? I find the biggest rock that I can still move, push it up, do my thing and then drop the rock back down. I'm always afraid that a little will squirt out the side, but it never does. I left a monster dump up on the grand teton, but the rock was huge. I have pictures if anyone cares to see.

There are so many areas I would like to ride but cant like the slick rock areas around temple mountain. I understand why you cant ride orv's up there but my bike would leave far less marks on the sandstone compared to an ATV or motor bike.
    Less perhaps, but still detectable impact.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Tell me, is this really so bad? I find the biggest rock that I can still move, push it up, do my thing and then drop the rock back down. I'm always afraid that a little will squirt out the side, but it never does. I left a monster dump up on the grand teton, but the rock was huge. I have pictures if anyone cares to see.
    I can't tell if you're joking or being serious. If I had to choose between irresponsible atv users and hiker-bombs under every rock, I'll take the atv tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    It's not detectable unless you go walking in there to detect it . . . thereby leaving more detectable impact. A vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    It's not detectable unless you go walking in there to detect it . . . thereby leaving more detectable impact. A vicious cycle.
    I was thinking of using a remote controlled model helicopter with a camera. I'll use it to find all your hiker bombs too.

Wilderness areas are a good thing. I like to go out and never hear a car or bike or anything else but nature. I don't see how there hurting anything, if you want to see something walk up there or ride a horse. People need to realize that its not there right to ride there bike or there atv anywhere they please. I understand why there are no bikes its about no mechanized anything. Ever seen those poor trail guys having to cut huge tree's without a chainsaw? Everything is banned but horses and you and I think that's pretty cool to go some were like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Wilderness areas are a good thing. I like to go out and never hear a car or bike or anything else but nature. I don't see how there hurting anything, if you want to see something walk up there or ride a horse. People need to realize that its not there right to ride there bike or there atv anywhere they please. I understand why there are no bikes its about no mechanized anything. Ever seen those poor trail guys having to cut huge tree's without a chainsaw? Everything is banned but horses and you and I think that's pretty cool to go some were like that.
    I am all for things being preserved; however, if they want to keep things beautiful and natural horses should also be banned. There is nothing worse than being on a trail hiking with your family and a caravan of ten horses come throguh tearing up the trail and intimidating everyone. If people are against mountain bikes, I find it neccesary to also ban horses.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.