Thread: 7 Kivas Ruin TR

7 Kivas Ruin TR

My boys and I decided to head down to Cedar Mesa and visit 7 Kivas in Road Canyon. Originally we were going to backpack down into the canyon and camp overnight and then explore the next day. However, we got to the TH too late and decided to camp up on top. This actually turned out to be a fortuitous choice because the access trail into the canyon would have been pretty tough carrying a big pack (not impossible but difficult.)

From the TH it is probably a 90 minute hike down to the ruin: first through a fairly rugged side-canyon access that is well-cairned and then through a beautiful canyon. There is some water along the way (at least today - I don't know if it is year-round.)

The ruin gets its name from the 7 kivas that are part of the site. It looks like there may have also been some dwelling rooms but the site is mostly pure kiva. It must have been a truly sacred place to the residents of the various canyons. Standing on this site and considering the large worship gatherings that must have occurred here certainly causes one to tread a little more lightly. The site is also interesting in that it is only 20 or 30 feet above canyon bottom at a turn in the canyon. Next to the site the creek bed is a large sandstone flat area. It is easy to imagine during the large worship services families eating, playing, dancing, camping and interacting. The ruin is not in great shape but there is enough remaining to make a visitor appreciate what must have happened there. In fact, one visitor wrote in the logbook that the site hasn't really changed in 15 years.

The TH for 7 Kivas starts from the same carpark as the TH for The Citadel. These two hikes would be great fun over one or two days. There are some other ruins near 7 Kivas that are mentioned in several guidebooks. We didn't visit any of those and will have to make another trip to find them.

Anyway, here are some pics for your enjoyment.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice, thanks for sharing.

grand gulch is a super cool place.

another very nice hike is lower fish creek from the comb wash road. it requires some brutal bushwhacking if you pick the wrong line but there is abundant ruins and rock art. handprint central down there.

thasnk for the pics !
    signature

I know my list is long, but I think I'll add Seven Kivas to it. Thanks.

With a little luck I hope to visit 7 kiva and falling roof ruins in Road Canyon sometime next month.

Thanks for the pics....