Thread: Red Snow

Red Snow

I got back from Denver yesterday and everything in the yard and every car in town (Craig) was covered with a layer of red. Apparently the snow fell red from the sky and when it melted in the afternoon it left a layer of red mud on everything. Kinda weird; too bad I missed it. I assume the winds picked up a lot of dust from the deserts to the west and mixed it in with the clouds.

Just thought it was interesting. Anyone ever seen red snow fall from the sky? Sure wish I got to see it like everyone else in town.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

although i have seen red snow many times, i have never seen it fall from the sky. the red snow i have seen is from a algae called rhodophyta (sp). when you scoop up a handful and smell it, it smells like watermelon.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

50-60 mph winds in s utah on tuesday and wednesay so probably a lot our red rock went into the atmosphere to be dumped downstream.

Isn't that one of the signs of the end of the world.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

We want our dirt back, Mr. Peterson!

My wife reminded me of the red rain we used to get when we lived in northern Italy. dust was blown off the Sahara Desert, carried aloft and then deposited all across Europe.

And no, it does not mean the end of the world!

We want our dirt back
    Since today's rain has washed it away and this town is on the Yampa River, it's headed back to Utah right now. The Yampa drains into the Green River just east of the border so it will be arriving in Utah soon.

Anyway, Utah get's a lot of dirt from CO every year (carried in the Colorado River). It's about time you guys gave some back to us.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Federal law requires that Colorado provide Utah with 7 million acre feet of dirt per year.