Thread: Road Bike Touring, and touring panniers

Road Bike Touring, and touring panniers

I would like this post to serve two purposes:

1) to guage the level of interest in touring here in Utah.

2) to learn hear suggestions of what people are looking for when buying a touring pack.

First then with the touring aspect. I love touring and would love to further discuss it within the forum. I have done over 5 months of bicycle touring in the last three years during my summers while out of school. I rode from Canada to Mexico, or border to border along the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in 2004, and then last year I rode from Amsterdam to Lisbon, with all the weaving it ended up being over 3500 miles. All of this was non supported, meaning we all carried our own things on our bikes using panniers, or a BOB Trailer.
    I would recommend touring to anyone! I think it is one of the most freeing things that anyone could do, It is GREAT!!! I plan to tour throughout my life, and may even take a short trip up to the Oregon coast this summer and bike down that, just to take a break from life!

Second, touring bags. So it be known, my motives on asking for this feedback are purely selfish, and am doing it to better guage how I should go about producing touring products. I am going to start a touring line of bags, and am looking for more ideas...
    One of the things that I look for most is that they are waterproof! but I do not really have any ideas as far as what else to offer on them. If anyone has suggestions of things that they would like to see in a rear touring pannier, let me know.

Thanks,

Dale Majors
    www.bikewagon.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Dale!

I love touring, my future wife and I are planning to ride the CDT next year on our mountain bikes, should be an epic. Other then this planned tour, I have done about half a dozen small self supported tours, but nothing over 9 days and 500 miles.

I think we are planing on doing a coast to coast tour in a future summer, that has been my #1 goal on my life 'to do' list for some time.

Lets tour together some time. :)

I know a guy at work that is all about touring. Might want to check out his website at http://www.fullyloadedtouring.com/ . Lots of pictures with different setups and stuff.

Beau

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Hi Dale!

I love touring, my future wife and I are planning to ride the CDT next year on our mountain bikes, should be an epic. Other then this planned tour, I have done about half a dozen small self supported tours, but nothing over 9 days and 500 miles.

I think we are planing on doing a coast to coast tour in a future summer, that has been my #1 goal on my life 'to do' list for some time.

Lets tour together some time. :)
    CDT?

Quote Originally Posted by JR97
    CDT?
    I'm assuming it's the Continental Divide Trail? By the way, welcome to the forum!