Thread: Robber's Roost road conditions

Robber's Roost road conditions

We have a group heading to the Robber's Roost area April 26-29. Our plans are to do High Spur on the 27th, Not Mindbender on the 28th, and Three Canyon on the 29th. Some of the group may be driving in cars, so we are trying to assess the road conditions, especially Flint Trail, after the recent rains. We will have at least one Jeep and one Subaru for shuttle vehicles.

Does anyone have a suggestion for camping? We want to give everyone detailed maps and GPS coordinates in case someone winds up arriving late at night. My initial thought is somewhere near Robbers Roost Flats or the Landing Strip just past the turnoff to Not Mindbender. (We have camped at Granary Springs for Bluejohn before, so that is a fallback location that everyone knows.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As of last weekend the roads looked really good just about everywhere we went.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    As of last weekend the roads looked really good just about everywhere we went.
    Ditto... but they are getting a bit wash boarded in a few place. White Roost has been recently graded. When doing High Spur I recommend high clearance vehicles from the ranger station on out. I have seen a carefully driven Subaru reach the trailhead but it would not be my first choice.

Campsites in the Roost are at a premium. Great campsites are rare.

We saw a 2WD V-Dubya van that made it to the high spur trailhead a couple weeks ago, but there are a couple spots I'd be nervous to take that thing over...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    We saw a 2WD V-Dubya van that made it to the high spur trailhead a couple weeks ago, but there are a couple spots I'd be nervous to take that thing over...

Ya, and didn't they say they got that thing stuck and had to await help from someone else driving through there?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

Ya, and didn't they say they got that thing stuck and had to await help from someone else driving through there?
    I don't remember the whole story... I wasn't really listening, I was too busy eating their food.

My major concern.... High Spur is a looooonnnngggg way in to get stuck or break down. I don't think that road sees much traffic and its a 13 mile hike back to the ranger station just to call for help.