Thread: Photos, Wild Horse Canyon

Photos, Wild Horse Canyon

Took a hike through Wild Horse Canyon recently. I'm sure most know it is in San Rafael Swell, near Goblin Valley. (I also did Little wild Horse, but that's another post.) Anyway, WHC is not known as a slot canyon as it has only a short section of narrows. It was a nice walk, although the approach to the canyon has some steepness. I was looking for pictographs reportedly 1.5 miles into the canyon but never found them. I walked well past the area described and carefully checked out every alcove and set of foot prints going off trail. No luck, but I still enjoyed it. Only met two groups on the trail and they didn't find the pictographs, either.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics

I was told some of the WHC rock art is high on the canyon wall up on one of the benches. Don't know if it's true, just what I once heard. Attached is my map of where I was told the rock art is located. Three different sets of rock art located in the canyon. If someone has GPS waypoints I would like a copy.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice pics. There's an arch in there right?

Thanks. There was one alcove up high that I felt might be the place. However, I spotted it on my return trip and was too tired to make the climb without knowing for sure. I had already investigated several out of the ways places without finding them. I guess I need a better-developed eye for these things. I've also been known to miss ruins.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    Nice pics. There's an arch in there right?
    Thanks. If there is, I missed it, too. You don't suppose I took a wrong turn and went into a different canyon?
    Stan

Yup, just confirmed it. Skylight Arch, I'm still looking for it, LOL

I believe Skylight Arch is anther name for Wild Horse Window, which isn't actually in the canyon but is noted on the map I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I believe Skylight Arch is anther name for Wild Horse Window, which isn't actually in the canyon but is noted on the map I posted.

Yes, I saw the top of The Window from the trailhead, just as it appears on the map. I didn't go up there because the sun was too low by the time a came out of WHC. (Also I was tired and had to climb the hill to the trailhead. Old legs, you know.)
    Stan

Nice pics

The last time we did this canyon was a week after that "50 year storm" last fall. It was really fun seeing the canyon a bit of running water.

That looks awesome. I am going to be down there with my family in May and wanted to do this hike. If I am understanding correctly, to see the "window" you have to hike out of the canyon, sortof? is it just up a slickrock hill or is there climbing involved?
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    That looks awesome. I am going to be down there with my family in May and wanted to do this hike. If I am understanding correctly, to see the "window" you have to hike out of the canyon, sortof? is it just up a slickrock hill or is there climbing involved?
    I have never been up there but you can see the "cave" from the parking spot on the front (east) side of the reef. We started hiking up there and my 2 year old got sick so we went back down... then home.
    It would be faster if you stay to on the north side of the canyon, see the map here http://climb-utah.com/SRS/whw.htm

Thanks Summit. Climb-utah rocks, thats why Im a member of the CoF. I guess if I wasn't so lazy I would have read the route description. Its explains it all.

Sick kids are a bummer. When I was little my sister threw up on the back of my Dad's head while we were driving from Texas to Utah. It was in the middle of the night and when my dad pulled over to get a rag out of the trunk it all froze on his hair.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Sick kids are a bummer. When I was little my sister threw up on the back of my Dad's head while we were driving from Texas to Utah. It was in the middle of the night and when my dad pulled over to get a rag out of the trunk it all froze on his hair.
    Sick kids and camping = bummer
    Last year we went to Glacier and on our first (and only) hike of the trip my son threw up on the back of my head while he was in his kid carrier backpack. He was sick... then I got sick... we spent most of the trip in a hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Sick kids and camping = bummer
    Last year we went to Glacier and on our first (and only) hike of the trip my son threw up on the back of my head while he was in his kid carrier backpack. He was sick... then I got sick... we spent most of the trip in a hotel room.
    I remember reading that thread and thinking about how much of a bummer that would be.
    The man thong is wrong.

Good shots, summit42. Were you able to find the pictographs?
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Good shots, summit42. Were you able to find the pictographs?
    I never looked in the lower end of the canyon. I also failed to find the set in the upper canyon area (MK has them marked in his guide book). But it was late, dark and was drinking involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    But it was late, dark and was drinking involved.
    now that sounds like the start of a great rescue.

But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    now that sounds like the start of a great rescue.
    As long as you dont tell people the largest dry fall in the canyon is about 4 feet and we were only a few hundred yards from camp.

I have always wanted to get rescued by the Emery County Bikini Team

I cant wait until next weekend when I will be down there.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey