Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this goofy or worthy

Is this goofy or worthy

Fairly new to the sight, but not to the wasatch. I have pin pointed six peaks that I will summit this year, I call them the wasatch six. So far, I have two down and four to go. Grandeur, Olympus, Twin, Lone, Box Elder and Timpanogas. Gandeur and Olympus are the two I have hit so far, Twin and Lone are both two day summit bids, I did Lone last year and it was about 14 hours round trip from the Draper, Corner Canyon parking lot. Anyway, just something I enjoy doing, I have gone on over 120 deep and steeps into the Wasatch over the past two years, and love to be in the hills, but there is something special about stepping on top. Last year I topped Olympus, Raymond, the Nob, many spots between Little and Big, and stopped just shy of Twin from the Little side because of conditions, only to find out the next day those two guys, fell to I think one death and one decent injury, so glad I saw the danger and backed off. Very unstable.
    ethical pursuit ethical kache

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Definitely worthy. Let me know when you go after Box Elder. It is on my list of Utah Valley's Seven Peaks. Hoping to bag those all this summer. Honestly though, I think Lone and Twins can be done in one day, just get an early start.

I did do it in one day, but two is better than one, and I am aging, or at least my knees are.

Don't forget Nebo and the Pheifferhorn, Red Baldy, White Baldy, Sundial.

Sundial looks pretty exposed. Can you even get up there without climbing gear?

Yeah, Sundial can be approached much easier from behind it. The one face is very exposed, but it is more manageable from behind. Though, I've never done it personally.

I will probably do a few of those, but you might notice that my mentioned peaks were all available from the front. Kind of the I15/I215 peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Yeah, Sundial can be approached much easier from behind it. The one face is very exposed, but it is more manageable from behind. Though, I've never done it personally.
    Never done it yet, but I know alot of people who have. You start at the Lake Blanche trail. I do know there is some exposure, but it's not too bad, but that is relative to only you.

Quote Originally Posted by epek
    I will probably do a few of those, but you might notice that my mentioned peaks were all available from the front. Kind of the I15/I215 peaks.
    Nebo is off I-15 then take the Nebo Scenic road to the trailhead. Red Baldy, take the White Pine trail and then some boulder hopping to the peak. Not sure to White Baldy, but the ridge run to American Fork Peak should get you there also. Pheifferhorn from the Red Pine trailhead.

I am trying for the highest peak in each of Utah's counties, as well as the peaks above 13,000'. I agree with you about the feeling of standing on top.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Four down two to go. I did Twin last week and Lone yesterday. I did do them both in only a day. Twin I went up Broads and out Mill B South from above Lake Blanche. Lone I did a thousand yards of bushwacking on the decent through thick, steep scrub oak. I tried a short cut, but will never do that again. Lone is a lot easier from the North side of the upper Cathedral bowl than the south side (Which I did the last trip). 11251 at the very summit. Now on to Box Elder next week and I will take the family up Timp to cap off this years goal.

What TH did you start at for Lone?

I went up the Corner Canyon road to the gate, parked, went up Jacobs Ladder, and put my knees into my chest until I got to Enis, then followed the North trail of Karens to the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by epek
    I went up the Corner Canyon road to the gate, parked, went up Jacobs Ladder,
    The gate is Corner Canyon is currently open and the road is open to the Ghost Falls TH (formerly Jacobs ladder TH). When the gate is open you cut off 5 miles of total road walking. Only problem is the gate doesn't open until 6am and closes at 10pm.

Wow. Surprised to hear they open and close it daily. Seems strange to me...

Anyways, thanks for the info Shane.

I went thru it at 5:00am Sunday morning.

They say that the Neff's Canyon gate is closed from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, too. But, if you take a look at the gate it's pretty obvious it hasn't moved in years.

So, what you are saying is that we are supposed to be on the honor system and I have no honor.

I got the gate info from Draper Parks last week. I'm in the process of updating my Lone Peak web page. The Parks department called and said.... hey, we copied all the trails off your map for the new map we are putting together, hope you don't mind.....

I guess its better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission

Lone Peak
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I got the gate info from Draper Parks last week. I'm in the process of updating my Lone Peak web page. The Parks department called and said.... hey, we copied all the trails off your map for the new map we are putting together, hope you don't mind.....

I guess its better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission

Lone Peak
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Nice... Just tell them you demand a key to the gate in exchange...