Thread: Grand Gulch - Bullet Canyon difficulty

Grand Gulch - Bullet Canyon difficulty

Anyone been through the Grand Gulch and exited through Bullet Canyon? I'm planning on heading down there with my wife and her parents but I've read that there may be some scrambling exiting Bullet Canyon. Some books have suggested removing packs to make it easier. Just how hard is this exit? I know "hard" is relative most of the time so keep in mind that my wifes parents do not have very good climbing skills. I'd hate to get to the exit and then have to find another way out. Any beta would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Did it a few years ago, not much at all what I remember. Lots of things to grab onto though (tree branches, rocks) just in case.

Just how hard is this exit? I know "hard" is relative most of the time so keep in mind that my wifes parents do not have very good climbing skills.

I have several photos below. My four year old had no problems. See link for many photos.

http://www.summitpost.org/album/1982...6-28-2006.html

See also info:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/213...and-Gulch.html

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/213...et-Canyon.html
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I love that photo of Scott's.

Hey, codyb25, welcome to the forum. I've never been there, but if you go make sure you take photos and bring 'em back here!

I'll be heading there in about 3 weeks with some friends. That may be too late to get you the info, but if not I will be happy to share.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes. From the sounds of it we should be ok. I'll try to get some pictures to share, whether its of the gulch or the injuries from there.

getting out bullet should be no problem.

photos with blood are worth big points.

enjoy the canyon. the cedar mesa/grand gulch complex is one of my favorites. you will have the chance to see lots of ruins and rockart down in there.

if you get a chance read a book called "cowboys and cave dwellers" and/or "in search of the ancient ones". the first is about the early exploratiion and digging of the ruins by the various parties. there are many of their signatures to be found in some ofthe sites if you know where to look. the second book is just a great read about the anasazi.

have fun!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Unless the weather turns off bad, looks like we will be heading down there. We are looking at some different options though that we will be able to complete in two days. Any other favorites that you guys have in that area?

Fish and Owl Creek.

I heard most of fish creek isn't all that great. Owl looks really cool though. How about todie, anyone done that? We're looking to try to keep this to a 2 day trip now so I'm looking at our options again. I'm also having some problems finding any decent maps of the area online. Do any of you guys know of some links to some maps of the area? My in-laws have a book with some maps but I don't want to run over there and get it.

I heard most of fish creek isn't all that great.
    It's not bad. Some nice ruins and an arch, plus some nice waterfalls in the upper end.

How about todie, anyone done that?
    It's a nice one with some interesting ruins.

I'm also having some problems finding any decent maps of the area online. Do any of you guys know of some links to some maps of the area?
    For hiking, try the Trails Illustrated map or Kelsey's guidebook 5th edition CP.

Here is the online link to all the topo maps in the USA, but unfortunately, some are a bit out of date and don't show the ruins:

http://www.topozone.com/

Bullet Canyon/Grand Gulch confluence:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...RG&size=l&s=50
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

What about dropping in Bullet Canyon and going out Toadie. I've read about Bullet but haven't found as much about toadie. Any of you dont toadie before? Any difficulties expected? Thanks

Todie is harder than Bullet, but nothing that hard.

sent you a copy of my map tonight.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by codyb25
    I heard most of fish creek isn't all that great. Owl looks really cool though. How about todie, anyone done that? We're looking to try to keep this to a 2 day trip now so I'm looking at our options again.
    fish not all that great? whoever said that was certainly missing the canyon. fish is a lovely canyon. owl is nice too. you can race through the loop in two days or spend much more time exploring. oct through april and early may is when cedar mesa is at it's best, IMO.

EVERY canyon in cedar mesa is wonderful ... as are all the tribs of grand gulch. honestly, it's really hard to go wrong in this area. some areas may suit certain folks better than others, or may be in their prime at the right time of day, year or mood ... but it's all superb to the desert lover ... and the cedar mesa sandstone is some of the grooviest around.

We ended up going through fish/owl last weekend. We enjoyed it. I liked both canyons. We wished we would have been able to spot more of the ruins though. We only checked out the one at the beginning of Owl. We did it in 2 days. Might have been nice to have another. The in-laws don't move as quick as they used to. Thanks for all the comments on the canyons down there. We're axious to see the grand gulch side of things. Thanks, denaliguide, for the map also. I'll try to get some pics posted up here of the trip.