Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Temple in Zion

West Temple in Zion

Easter Sunday, Dave and I started at 6:30 AM in Springdale for our WT Summit attempt. Neither of us had done this hike/ climb before, but both of us had thought about it for a long time. It was a cloudy day (high clouds) and the atmosphere was very hazy. Only headlamped for the first 10 minutes and then it was smooth sailing. At the "Notch" we encountered a very long rattler just awakening after the winter. I had recieved various beta of the route, but my short memory left a lot of room for improvisation. We followed the ridge for the most part with a few unnecessary deviations, but overall stayed on track and on line for a sucessful day. I have to admit that the supposed 5th class climb was on my mind most of the time, but after negotiating several bouldery obstacles and being subjected to some good exposure, the climb was forgotten until actually arriving at it. The climb was very straight forward and even bolted. I did use one #8 stopper before I realized that there were bolts to be clipped, so at least lugging my set of nuts wasn't a total waste! We got to the "Repeater" building at 11:10 AM and sat on the north west edge admiring the views , trying to identify landmarks and downing some nutrition. Started back down at 11:40 and got back to a cold one at the vehicles at 3 PM. It was a tough day but a really fun one. A few pictures of the hike!
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good work. Views must be incredible.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Nice pics.

Very nice, Bo - thanks!

How long was the 5th class stuff, and about what did it go at?

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing what must have been a great experience.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Good work. Views must be incredible.
    Thanks! Yes the views are among the best I've experienced within Zion. I wish the day hadn't been hazy, but then I'm not one to complain. The weather was almost perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    Nice pics.
    Thanks again. I wish I'd taken a whole lot more though. I hope to have a photo album done soon with a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Very nice, Bo - thanks!

How long was the 5th class stuff, and about what did it go at?
    There were several spots of low grade 5th class and or bouldering. The bolted up "5th Class" was maybe 40-45'? I found some of the boulder obstacles on the way up to the "climb" more difficult....or I should say at least more intimidating! Nothing very difficult though...I'm not a good judge of grades, but would say maybe 5.5 is the toughest 5th class?

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Spectacular! Thanks for sharing what must have been a great experience.

Win
    Thanks Win. It was a fun day. Dave was a fun hiking partner, but I missed having my best hiking partner alongside me. I look forward to having some more adventures with my "Hiking Buddy" soon though!

Coolness...Thanks!

Awesome
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Coolness...Thanks!
    Its a really fun hike! Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Awesome
    Not compared to the stuff you have done, but it grabbed my attention!

Bo, very nice. I have been a silent fan of yours for a while reading the trip reports and all the help you willingly give folks on the internet let alone your SAR work. Thanks. I hope to meet you some time in Springdale but not in a canyon. That would mean you were there to save my sorry tail. Hope never to need your SAR services...
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Bo, very nice. I have been a silent fan of yours for a while reading the trip reports and all the help you willingly give folks on the internet let alone your SAR work. Thanks. I hope to meet you some time in Springdale but not in a canyon. That would mean you were there to save my sorry tail. Hope never to need your SAR services...
    Scott, I'm sorta new to this forum even though I've been a member for quite some time. I just got so absorbed in Yahoo e-groups that I forgot that I had registered as a member over here! I really didn't have a huge passion for sharing experiences until I started reading what others were doing?! I live in southern Utah and we are 10 years behind the times and when I realized that its cool to share.....well??!!! Keep it flowing! This group is like an Encyclopedia Britannica, Hustler Magazine and Mad Magazine all combined into one! I'm really no different than you Scott...have a passion and pursue it. I stumbled into sar work...I love it and continue to love it. Without Tanya to spurn my interest in "exploring" I would have stagnated and not have had stories to tell.

You and others are my inspiration to continue, and I only can want that others feel the same. I have been in the "Outdoor Industry" since the late 60's and have seen many changes....not just in whats available, but in who wants what is available. I want to kindle the passion that I've felt, so that others might burn with the same flame and passion. I must admit though...its really hard to compete with Nintendo, Sony, Apple, Yamaha, Honda, Jeep, Lays and Mc Donalds though!

Who knows Scott...one day you may be dragging my butt down out of the canyon? I'm not too proud to refuse some help! I coulda' used your professional advice a couple years ago, but then I settled for someone that I'd never even known. I learned my lesson!

Get Doon an Doon Puckaroon!
    See you in Springdale one of these near future days Scott!
    Cheers!
    Bo

sweet as.....
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    sweet as.....
    Spent 5 nights out in the woods east of Fairbanks in Feb 1977...damn its cold there! No prob procuring snowshoe hares for dinner. Starting a fire wasn't hard either (freeze dried!)

NZ? Sailed into Bay of Islands from Suva 1981 and then on down to Wellington...ferried then hitchhiked down to Queenstown for some skiing on Coronet. Flew out of Auckland a month later to Fiji ,only to get flown back to Wellington to outfit Ta'aroa for the passage to Sydney shortly thereafter. One week later passed thru the "head" for 9000 miles and 40 days in the far south pacific with 4 kiwis, 3 aussies and one other yank on a race to see who could get to Rio first? Didn't get much time in NZ, but what I did see was awesome! The folks there are THE BEST!

Wanna go down some piss mate?! She'll be right!
    Bo

Nice pics. By the way, I'm seeing they are a large filesize for how small the images are. What program are you using to reduce them?

May I suggest the Windows XP Image Resizer Powertoy.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

I think you'll find you can keep your pics much larger, and about 1/3 the filesize.

Here are some tips for it.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Nice pics. By the way, I'm seeing they are a large filesize for how small the images are. What program are you using to reduce them?

I think you'll find you can keep your pics much larger, and about 1/3 the filesize.

I tried installing Powertoys Image Resizer and the only thing I get is a read me file? Is there another link to the program?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

Or since you have photoshop, just choose save for the web. They like them to be 640 width on this group. Then just choose [quality} something under 80.

Nice trip report and photos! I know you have wanted to do this one for a long time.