Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A perfect "overnighter" at the Swell

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    It's funny, I thought the vegetation on which the Vanagon was parked looked trampled and driven over already. And was that fire ring already there?
    If it was an existing primitive site in the Swell, there would be no vegetation where you park. Based on the picture, the fire ring looks new to me, but I could be wrong. The fresh vegetation around the ring and the vegetation under the vanagon wheels leads me to believe that this was a virgin site.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    leads me to believe that this was a virgin site.
    TeeHeeHee, you said "virgin"... Yes I am immature.
    The man thong is wrong.

Regardless of where that Vanagon was parked, I'm jealous. I want one so badly.

Good Practices

All I know is that the pointy black soil is so soft to walk on and was a perfect spot for our tent also. I notice that when you drive on that stuff it really helps your shocks too. We also hid our trash under rocks so they were not an eyesore. We threw rocks at the goats and poked the rattlesnakes with pointed sticks (By the way I have now seen seven rattlesnakes in my four years here and many of my friends who have been here longer have not encountered one).

Just kidding, I do agree with scout because this is the way to educate everyone who is not familiar. You can give people the benefit of the doubt but a thread like this will help many people and offend one. Someone who is used to going to established sites (paid or not) is not going to know exactly what to do in a situation where they pull up wherever they want. We backpacked but camped on bare rock to not affect anything. Any time I have been down to the swell I have used very heavily used spots and they are all awesome places to camp. When we leave, it looks exactly as it did before we came.

Education is key.

Re: Good Practices

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    Education is key.
    That's all I'm really trying to accomplish. I might be tactless, but the objective is to keep our backcountry areas pristine for future generations. I thought that by comparing this activity to off-trail ATV activity (which is so hated by members of this site, rightfully so) that it would help people to understand.

Re: Good Practices

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    All I know is that the pointy black soil is so soft to walk on and was a perfect spot for our tent also. I notice that when you drive on that stuff it really helps your shocks too. We also hid our trash under rocks so they were not an eyesore. We threw rocks at the goats and poked the rattlesnakes with pointed sticks

No one is going to say anything about the off-trail trail travel? Parking a vehicle on exposed vegetation? I thought everyone hated vehicle tracks off trail? There are plenty of established primitive campsites in the area that you don't need to damage a fresh area. Take a minute and read here: http://www.treadlightly.org/.
    Oh, man, I didnt even catch that you were talking about us. We are literally 3 feet off the main road, and there was already a fire pit there so we figured it was an OK spot.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

everyone! everyone! get down off your soapboxes and return to your seats.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    everyone! everyone! get down off your soapboxes and return to your seats.
    I am still ultra pissed

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    No one is going to say anything about the off-trail trail travel? Parking a vehicle on exposed vegetation? I thought everyone hated vehicle tracks off trail? There are plenty of established primitive campsites in the area that you don't need to damage a fresh area. Take a minute and read here: http://www.treadlightly.org/.
    Oh, man, I didnt even catch that you were talking about us. We are literally 3 feet off the main road, and there was already a fire pit there so we figured it was an OK spot.
    I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that off-trail is off-trail. It doesn't matter if you're on an ATV, in a j**p, or driving a subaru. I don't see anyone giving any slack for ATV tracks 3 feet off a trail. It's all the same thing.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that off-trail is off-trail. It doesn't matter if you're on an ATV, in a j**p, or driving a subaru. I don't see anyone giving any slack for ATV tracks 3 feet off a trail. It's all the same thing.
    As I said, it appeared to be an established spot - there was already a fire pit there, on a road that was designated for camping.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

As I said, it appeared to be an established spot - there was already a fire pit there, on a road that was designated for camping.
    I thought TreeHugger was getting yelled at for camping in the Grand Central Station of the Swell. Maybe I should take this angle with women I like, yelling...