Thread: Any hiking suggestions near the Wedge?

Any hiking suggestions near the Wedge?

Thinking of taking a drive to the wedge overlook/ little grand canyon this weekend. Never been there and its not too far away. Any short hikes in the area worth checking out? Nothing too hardcore or more than a half day .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've got a couple of geocaches in the area that are decent hikes:

Tip O' The Wedge
    The Wedgie

The first puts you on an overlook of the San Rafael River gorge near Buckhorn Wash (requires some route finding), and the second puts you on top of a cliff overlooking Buckhorn Wash and Calf Canyon (this one is pretty straightforward).

Also, there's a dinosaur skeleton and some pictographs about 10 miles north of the Wedge that should be worth seeing. In fact, I'm going there tomorrow with my family and my sister's family.

One other good sight to see is the Black Box. Just go to the bridge over the San Rafael River on the south end of Buckhorn Wash (near the BLM campground), and head east on the Mexican Mountain road. Go east as far as you can (you'll run into a gate at the WSA boundary), then hike a short distance south until you're standing on some cliffs overlooking the Black Box.
    Blog | FB

what's the wedge?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    what's the wedge?
    Its an overlook above the San Rafael Gorge aka Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael in the Northwestern part of the swell, near Castle Dale. Called the Wedge because its a point surrounded by cliffs wedged between Buckhorn Wash and the San Raf, if I'm not mistaken. There is quite a bit on the web about the place......

Right after that campground, there is a river hike, that's really nice. Just past there, there is a little road that goes off to the right and ends at some corrals. Park there and you'll see the trailhead sign. HIke almost five miles in and there are some pictographs. It's mostly flat, and you end in IN the Little Grand Canyon. Very pretty. Great for families. (we were just there yesterday!!) :-) I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Thanks for clearing up what is the "Wedge".

I look forward to seeing your pictures Tree!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

there's a dinosaur skeleton and some pictographs about 10 miles north of the Wedge
    Can you tell us the location (no account at that site)?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    there's a dinosaur skeleton and some pictographs about 10 miles north of the Wedge
    Can you tell us the location (no account at that site)?
    It's a little difficult to explain without GPS coordinates. On the east side of the road through Buckhorn Wash, there's a dirt road turnoff about 0.4 miles north of the Buckhorn Reservoir spillway. Take that turnoff and drive northeast for approximately 1.3 miles. At that point, another road turns to the east and then heads southeast up a wash. 0.2 miles up the wash from the turnoff is the skeleton and some pictographs all in the same spot.

Here are a few pictures from the site:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/galle...f-d435484f91df
    Blog | FB

Dang Ben, I wish I would have known you were going to be down there, I probably drove right past you on Saturday. I went down to Moab to meet some friends for the Jeep Safari. We started a trail Friday, someone broke so we sat around then went back without finishing the trail. Saturday it turns out everyone decides to go home instead of staying till Sunday so I got to help tear down camp and head out... kind of a waste to go down there BUT the trip was not completely lost because we stopped at Ray's on the way home! Since I had time to kill Saturday I took the long way home and drove through Buckhorn Wash and stopped at the Wedge. They have improved the Wedge since the last time I was there. The road was graded all the way to the "Little Grand Canyon" overlook.

WE were there Friday/Saturday as well. I posted some pics on the "great overnighter" thread, if anyone is interested.

Tree.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

On the east side of the road through Buckhorn Wash, there's a dirt road turnoff about 0.4 miles north of the Buckhorn Reservoir spillway. Take that turnoff and drive northeast for approximately 1.3 miles. At that point, another road turns to the east and then heads southeast up a wash. 0.2 miles up the wash from the turnoff is the skeleton and some pictographs all in the same spot
    Thanks for the info.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1