Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambers

Re: Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    It may or may not be your fault..... but legally you are protected under the freedom of speech.
    To quote one of my favorite movies from OZ: "tell 'im e's dreamin' !"

You may not go to jail or ever be held liable for what you write, but if sued, you will be a lot poorer - guaranteed...unless you have some kind of insurance, in which case its cost is making you somewhat poorer...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sharing information can be just as dangerous as sharing information. I can also sue you for with holding information that would have kept me safe.... yada, yada.... This forum supports and maintains the idea that the safest approach is the have access to all useful information and let the individual make their own informed choice.

Just a little reminder....

This forum exists for the free exchange of pictures, beta, video's and information. Sharing has always been welcome and highly encouraged in this forum. Generous sharing of ideas and information is what makes uutah so popular. What a person chooses to share with others on this site is a personal choice and will be respected.

Sue? "You Rang?" (quoting Lurch) Hank is right to a point. You can get attorneys fees on frivolous suits. Proving a frivolous law suit is difficult though. Practically speaking, if you have shallow pockets, no lawyer is gonna be interested in you. And from what I can see from the tattered gear and holey pockets I've seen from those I know in this community, no need to worry fellers.
    Life is Good

So if you get lost and hurt are you going to sue Kelsey and take his mother away?

This forum exists for the free exchange of pictures, beta, video's and information. Sharing has always been welcome and highly encouraged in this forum. Generous sharing of ideas and information is what makes uutah so popular. What a person chooses to share with others on this site is a personal choice and will be respected.
    "Respected?"

Respect this: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57190#57190

Seems like a lawsuit that only a rich fool would attempt. So if I can't be held liable for my statements, how could anyone hope to win a lawsuit they would bring against me?

If I tell you to go jump off a cliff, and you do, and break your back, am I to blame? How is that one gonna play out in the courtroom...Speaking through a digitized voice: "Your honor, I jumped off the cliff of my own free will and choice, but he told me to do it..."

Seems pretty far-fetched.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    "Respected?"
    Well at least I'm not the one trying to make off with Kelsey's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Seems like a lawsuit that only a rich fool would attempt. So if I can't be held liable for my statements, how could anyone hope to win a lawsuit they would bring against me?

If I tell you to go jump off a cliff, and you do, and break your back, am I to blame? How is that one gonna play out in the courtroom..."Your honor, I jumped off the cliff of my own free will and choice, but he told me to do it..."

Not at all. First off, rich people rarely get involved in this type of suit - it's more idiotos who want to get rich off their own stupidity. Good for them there's lawyers willing to take on just about any case that smells green. Winning's not the object - getting someone to settle out of court for fear of what *might happen* in our crapshoot court system is.

Not at all. First off, rich people rarely get involved in this type of suit - it's more idiotos who want to get rich off their own stupidity. Good for them there's lawyers willing to take on just about any case that smells green. Winning's not the object - getting someone to settle out of court for fear of what *might happen* in our crapshoot court system is.
    Like Scott said....unless you're made of $$$$, any lawyer is just gonna laugh at you.

I'll take my chances...

Hank my friend, you are missing out on the first rule..... It takes money to sue someone.

A lawyer will not take the case if he can't make a buck. So unless you have the coin to pay him a retainer for what is really an unwinnable case you are SOL.

YMMV

If I tell you to go jump off a cliff, and you do, and break your back, am I to blame? How is that one gonna play out in the courtroom...Speaking through a digitized voice: "Your honor, I jumped off the cliff of my own free will and choice, but he told me to do it..."

Frivolous.....unless the victim was of a diminished mental capacity and you were a trusted friend, parent child relationship, etc. In other words there are possible cases that would get over the frivolous argument but may still not win. You'd actually be surprised at what people want to sue for. I can't tell you how many people I have discouraged from suing either because of my overwhelming wisdom and advice ( ) or my outrageous retainer. Problem, there are just a couple of bad lawyers out there who are mercenary. Most of the crap cases can be found in the small claims courts.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Frivolous.....unless the victim was of a diminished mental capacity and you were a trusted friend, parent child relationship, etc. In other words there are possible cases that would get over the frivolous argument but may still not win. You'd actually be surprised at what people want to sue for. I can't tell you how many people I have discouraged from suing either because of my overwhelming wisdom and advice ( ) or my outrageous retainer. Problem, there are just a couple of bad lawyers out there who are mercenary. Most of the crap cases can be found in the small claims courts.
    Frivolous - yes, but you still have to pay to prove it.

Most of the crap cases can be found in the small claims courts.
    Small Claim's court reminds me of watching Judge Judge. You can tell within one minute who is prepared and who is going to win..... and it's never the dumbass with the frivolous lawsuit

What is the max you can now sue for in small claims?

Most of the crap cases can be found in the small claims courts.
    Small Claim's court reminds me of watching Judge Judge. You can tell within one minute who is prepared and who is going to win..... and it's never the dumbass with the frivolous lawsuit

What is the max you can now sue for in small claims?

$7,500 (Utah Code Annotated 78-6-1)
    Life is Good

Hank my friend, you are missing out on the first rule..... It takes money to sue someone.

A lawyer will not take the case if he can't make a buck. So unless you have the coin to pay him a retainer for what is really an unwinnable case you are SOL.

YMMV
    Not all lawyers require retainers or *any* money up front. Some work on contingency. To directly refute your assertion : No, all it takes is a willing lawyer.

Anyway, I'm not *just* saying "dont post junk 'cuz you may be sued" I'm also saying "don't post junk 'cuz someone might get hurt and whether it's your fault or not you will feel responsible for it - unless you're a sociopath or summat. Former post will be edited to emphasize the latter.

RG's "beta" posting seemed to me an ego thing. Hope it was worth it.

Dude....it was soooooo worth it!!!! You should see the long line of chicks lined up outside my front door. The media has been going crazy trying to get a hold of me for interviews!!! I am FAMOUS!!!!!!

C'mon man...someone asked for help...I gave it.

An "ego" thing would be if I volunteered those coords without any request or provocation otherwise. I don't think we need to resort to name-calling.

C'mon man...someone asked for help...I gave it.

An "ego" thing would be if I volunteered those coords without any request or provocation otherwise. I don't think we need to resort to name-calling.
    No name calling as yet...but now that you mention it, I guess I'll just have to call you...Mr. Good Samaritan.

I see what RG did as sharing and typical of the behavior in this forum.....

Mr. Moon.... your a n00b on this forum so you are probably not used to our generous and sharing ways. If you look back through the archive's you will note that sharing and helping is standard practice around here.

Some examples from elsewhere on the forum over the past week:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5988
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5958
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5775

These are just a couple of examples of literally thousands. This is how we operate, it is not going to change, this is not your father's canyon group.

Mr. Moon.... your a n00b on this forum so you are probably not used to our generous and sharing ways.
    If this were a PAY site, I could see a little justification in offering only professional Trip Reports, safety precautions, exact mileage, and a packing list.

Since it's free and we're all above 13 years old, (remember that agreement you clicked on upon registering?), I think it's safe to say that we're going to investigate our destinations before taking advice from a complete stranger on the internet.

And if you're an unregistered lurker under the age of 13, find somebody to drive you, and then sue them.

Attached Images Attached Images