Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic
    it will be revealed, in more places than one, in due time

Hello there 'diabolic' - welcome to the site!

Chambers.....let's see here....I heard talk of this canyon mentioned a little while back...I'm almost 99.9% sure I know where this is. Give me a sec to dig through my notes and double check GoogleEarth...

Stay tuned...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Give this a try:

38N 20'18"
    110W 31'28"

I haven't done it yet, but I'm about 99.99% sure about those coords.

WARNING!!! This canyon is currently beta-less. Route conditions are unknown -- go at your own risk!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    come on now Stefan, dont be THAT guy

if you know something, help the guy out
    but dont taunt, that's lame
    and your not like that

if the spot was all that secret, Tom would not have posted photos on his site or broadcast the name.

Sweet.... here are the rest of the slots in the area. I noticed these slots about 2 years ago on a satellite map but haven't done any of them yet.

Paraphrasing "the author".... "I don't know any of the silly names".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    come on now Stefan, dont be THAT guy

if you know something, help the guy out
    but dont taunt, that's lame
    and your not like that

if the spot was all that secret, Tom would not have posted photos on his site or broadcast the name.
    first off ... i don't believe that it's wise for anyone to broadband coordinates of difficult canyons without beta. if they haven't even done the canyon it would seem more problematic

second ... tom mentioned in his rave said that he was writing up a route description, and i thought tom's beta would be the way to go ... AND figured diabolilc likely read this. subtlety not taunting ... sheesh.

third ... well ...

Sorry....I didn't know posting the coords would be such a transgression. I'll amend my post to include a warning.

Sheesh....!

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic
    Diabolic, welcome to the ultra-competitive-high-stakes-world of canyoneering beta! Some in the community would sell their own mother for a choice canyon. I suspect a few likely already have.

The stakes are high in this fast paced world.

If your new to this arena, my advice? Wait awhile, and the secret is bound to be revealed. Once trip reports and photos begin showing up on the internet, the secret is walking the green mile. Ego is not very good at keeping secrets.

My 2 cents,
    deserthiker

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    Diabolic, welcome to the ultra-competitive-high-stakes-world of canyoneering beta!

Seriously, this is getting out of hand. I've been sitting on this beta for about 3 months now. I wouldn't have splashed it out there if someone hadn't asked for it. But since someone asked....what was I gonna do....ignore him? Or even better, reply that I knew where it was, but wasn't going to tell....neener, neeeeener, neeeeener!!

The canyon will be featured in Kelsey's new book.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Any release dates on that btw?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    A couple weeks ago MK told me he was hoping for about November?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Sorry, but I think it's a secret.....

first off ... i don't believe that it's wise for anyone to broadband coordinates of difficult canyons without beta. if they haven't even done the canyon it would seem more problematic.
    Teradittos. Also applies to people who distribute sub-beta about undone slots.

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    Sorry, but I think it's a secret.....

You're on a roll deserthiker...

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    Teradittos. Also applies to people who distribute sub-beta about undone slots.

OK, now this opens up a whole new topic. Let's say that someone -- anyone goes and does Chambers from the coords I posted -- and then gets injured because they were unprepared.

IS THAT MY FAULT?!

OK, now this opens up a whole new topic. Let's say that someone -- anyone goes and does Chambers from the coords I posted -- and then gets injured because they were unprepared.
    It may or may not be your fault..... but legally you are protected under the freedom of speech. The freedom of speech is probably the only reason guidebooks and websites can exist. Otherwise every tourist who twisted their ankle would be sueing the author, the publisher, rockgremlin, uutah, the web host, yada, yada....

IS THAT MY FAULT?!
    #1 Pretty irresponsible to post something like a map with lines on it w/o any other meaningful beta. If some moron does take that map out and get hurt, you probably won't be toasting about it afterwards.

#2 May not be your fault, but that won't stop you from getting sued. In this crazy bed that we have made for ourselves (called the U.S. "justice" system), you can be sued for just about anything and YOU have to pay for your own defense - not them. Just to say "it's not my fault" in a court can cost 15-30K.