Thread: TR: Yankee Doodle and Pine Creek 3/30, 3/31

TR: Yankee Doodle and Pine Creek 3/30, 3/31

Thought I'd post up a little trip report from the weekend. My brother flew in from Tahoe, so we thought we'd stop by some family in St. George. Saw the beta on Yankee Doodle from climb-utah, so we thought we'd give it a go. Fun little canyon to do in a half day, easy access from St. George area as well. Saturday we did Pine Creek.

Yankee:

Start of the first and only rap in Yankee. It's around 100 feet, almost a cathedral. Very nice start, only few hundred feet from the car.

My brother making the first rap.

There were a couple fun little downclimbs, nothing too serious.

Team Mascot, found in a pothole nearly freezing... We placed her in the sun to warm up.

Looking back into the canyon from the rim after exiting.

It was dry as a bone in Yankee Doodle. Only one small pothole to speak of, easily negotiated though.

Pine Creek:

Pine Creek was supposedly as dry as it's ever been. My first time through, but went with some people who had been many times. We grabbed drysuits just in case, but didn't need 'em. Only got wet in the Cathedral, and it was just barely chest deep getting to the arch exit.

A little nice light in the slot. I assume the light gets better closer to summer solstice.

The last rap is sweet. My first free hanger from that distance. Not a bad way to end a sweet canyon.

The only casualty, my bro took a nice bite out of his hand on the last rap.

Here are a couple artsy shots from the drive down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Um, excuse me.......what camera/camera settings are you using? Are you using a tripod for some of those? Those images (especially the ones inside the slots) are outstanding -- probably the best Pine Creek shots I've ever seen! It seems like any other shots taken inside slots are too washed out, or underexposed. It's amazing how you were able to capture so many levels of light in those shots, without compromising detail.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I can't disclose my secrets....

Seriously though, I'm shooting on a 5D with 17-40 lens. I think I was at ISO 1600, around 1/20th of a second for most. Some in the slot are stabilized by a rock or something, but usually, I just hold as still as I can, and pop of 5 or 10, and hope one stays in focus. With that wide of a lens, camera shake is reduced a great deal. Also, the large SLR sensors are far more sensitive to light than a point and shoot, so that helps as well.

Have to agree, nice color in those pics, thanks.

Thanks for the TR. I did Yankee Doodle last weekend, as my first canyon, pretty neat.

I shoot a 5D,too, cant't believe you used it thru the canyon, I'm impressed!
    This is not a small camera and I usually only usse it while hiking. The Fedex guy showed up with an Olympus 720 P&S that I'm going to use for the rougher stuff.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Outstanding pics

Let me agree, excellent pics. the light changes with the approaching summer, but it looks like you got it pretty good. That shot of the last rappel is stunning.

Tom

Excellent pictures....

As a genreal rule I've found the best light in Pine Creek to be in late afternoon during summer.

The other benefit of the afternoon Pine Creek is you usually have the canyon to yourself, or at least only a small crowd. It never fails that the noobs and boy scout troops all show up about 10 am

a 5d huh ? you are a brave man takign that thru a slot. i thought about the pentax k10 due to teh gaskets, but i am so hard on electronics i decided point and shoots are much easier to replace time and time again. and GREAT shots. especially liek teh first pine creek shot.
    signature

Wow... very nice.
    Life is Good