Thread: What A Rig!

What A Rig!

While we were at the campground at Torrey, outside Capitol Reef, I noticed an unusual rig parked at a nearby site. It occurred to me that it was the perfect vehicle for a photographer, since it will obviously go almost anywhere and let you spend the night, ready for sunrise at any remote location.

I chatted with the owner and learned the truck was originally a German military vehicle. The owners, a British couple, had the body installed in Great Britain. They have been visiting North America since 2003, covering much of Canada and the western US, even going through Mexico and Central America to Panama. They will tour the east coast before returning to the UK.

The truck is an old stink-pot diesel that has trouble with our clean fuel. It liked the cruddy diesel fuel found in Mexico. It has about 24" clearance, can go through 4 feet of water (has a snorkel), and with 8 forward and 8 reverse gears can go almost anywhere. We later ran into the couple where they were camped halfway around the Cathedral Valley loop. The truck has all the standard water and holding tanks, so they can dry camp much of the time. What a great rig!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is sweet. I wonder how it does on fuel.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Sweet - I love UniMogs. Really nicely customized, looks like. Now that could get into some interesting spots.

i've seen some of those here in new zealand. it's a mercedes isn't it? i even saw one with arizona plates. quite the all terrain rig.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i've seen some of those here in new zealand. it's a mercedes isn't it? i even saw one with arizona plates. quite the all terrain rig.
    I saw a home-made rig in New Zealand, but not nearly as nice as this. I assume it is a Mercedes, as it was German military.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I saw a similar rig in Zion N.P. a few months ago. (it was a Mercedes) My wife saw my eyes light up and emphatically stated. "NO!" I spent some time looking up Unimogs, they do make a great vehicle for exploring.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    I saw a similar rig in Zion N.P. a few months ago. (it was a Mercedes) My wife saw my eyes light up and emphatically stated. "NO!"
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Unimog's are sweet

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum