Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Man Dies after Raft Flips in Grand Canyon

Bo was stung by a scorpion our 2nd night on the river. He did not set up a tent and was sleeping out on the ground. After than he started to set up his tent. Is there more than one variety of scorpions along the river in the canyon?

I was stung by one at Kolob Arch in Zion and did not have to get medical help either?
    [/quote]

yes, as i remember there's 2 species of scorpion found in the grand canyon. one subspecies called the grand canyon slender scorpion is small and has a real nasty sting. the smaller the more dangerous.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/naturescience/insects.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Deaths on the river

I've been on the river when people have died. Luckily, not people who were actually with me. We ran Marsh Creek in 2003 because the road to Boundary Creek was still closed. Two people on two separate trips died that day. May 25, 2003 was not a good day.

I was scouting the gorge on the Selway in June 2004 when I witnesses a raft capsize in Ladle. One person made no attempt to get out of the river. I ran down the trail more than a mile until I was wheezing and had to stop. We later learned she died.

Last summer I was on a GC trip where a man had to be evacuated. This was due to complications of diabetes, not something that happened on the river. He later died.

I have acquaintances on the trip that resulted in the death that initiated this thread. Perhaps some of you know Steve Pace? It was his permit. He waited a very long time to get it. And then a tragedy like this occurs.

Sad.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot

Re: Deaths on the river

Quote Originally Posted by soitgos
    I've been on the river when people have died. Luckily, not people who were actually with me. We ran Marsh Creek in 2003 because the road to Boundary Creek was still closed. Two people on two separate trips died that day. May 25, 2003 was not a good day.

I was scouting the gorge on the Selway in June 2004 when I witnesses a raft capsize in Ladle. One person made no attempt to get out of the river. I ran down the trail more than a mile until I was wheezing and had to stop. We later learned she died.

Last summer I was on a GC trip where a man had to be evacuated. This was due to complications of diabetes, not something that happened on the river. He later died.

I have acquaintances on the trip that resulted in the death that initiated this thread. Perhaps some of you know Steve Pace? It was his permit. He waited a very long time to get it. And then a tragedy like this occurs.

Sad.
    The little local paper here reported a Kayaker death at Lake Powell.... very sad.

I have the deepest respect for those that fall out of those boats and keep running the rivers. What kills most people? The cold? Rocks? Unable to surface?

Floating rivers is actually not particularly dangerous. At least statistically speaking. Not nearly as dangerous as riding in an automobile.

Lots of different things cause death on the river. I sincerely don
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Do we have to go in cold water to participate in the workshop

It won't be particularly cold in June, but swimming and getting out of the water are certainly skills we hope participants will learn.

My rule is if someone is going with me on class 4 water before June or after September you must be able to get back in a raft and get on top of an overturned raft.

You have to be able to save yourself. You just can't expect someone else to be there for you. After all, they've probably got their hands full saving themselves.

The first rule of the river is never create a second victim.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    It won't be particularly cold in June, but swimming and getting out of the water are certainly skills we hope participants will learn.

My rule is if someone is going with me on class 4 water before June or after September you must be able to get back in a raft and get on top of an overturned raft.

You have to be able to save yourself. You just can't expect someone else to be there for you. After all, they've probably got their hands full saving themselves.

The first rule of the river is never create a second victim.
    Are you talking Grand Canyon? Is the water in the 40's in June?

Oh no. I wish Grand Canyon. This will be on the Green River, just outside the town of Green River. I expect the temp to be somewhere near 60. Evening classroom session Friday, June 8, all day Saturday and through early afternoon Sunday. It's billed as a beginners rescue course, but it's good for everyone to learn and practice these skills. It could save your life.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Oh no. I wish Grand Canyon. This will be on the Green River, just outside the town of Green River. I expect the temp to be somewhere near 60. Evening classroom session Friday, June 8, all day Saturday and through early afternoon Sunday. It's billed as a beginners rescue course, but it's good for everyone to learn and practice these skills. If could save your life.

I can live with 60 Are you teaching? I think you would be a great teacher.

I will be one of the instructors, although I have two remarkable young men coming in to do most of it. You'll be shocked at the things these guys can do. Have you ever seen someone mantel the bow of an 18-foot Maravia? It's worth the price of admission just to watch what these guys can do. You'll also be shocked at what you're capable of after learning a little technique. You probably know that from rock climbing . . .
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    I will be one of the instructors, although I have two remarkable young men coming in to do most of it. You'll be shocked at the things these guys can do. Have you ever seen someone mantel the bow of an 18-foot Maravia? It's worth the price of admission just to watch what these guys can do. You'll also be shocked at what you're capable of after learning a little technique. You probably know that from rock climbing . . .

I like the older guys. Who wants to watch youngsters?

I want to see you "mantel a bow"

Do you know OC? I loved his campfire stories!

Oh, you'll want to watch what these guys can do. I can't come close to mantelling the bow of a raft anymore. But, I can get back in . . .

If anyone is interested in the workshop, send me a mailing address to:

soitgos2001@yahoo.com

and I'll send a detailed flyer.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Oh, you'll want to watch what these guys can do. I can't come close to mantelling the bow of a raft anymore. But, I can get back in . . .

If anyone is interested in the workshop, send me a mailing address to:

soitgos2001@yahoo.com

and I'll send a detailed flyer.
    What exactly is "mantelling a bow"?

Actually, being somewhat slow, why don't I just post the information. Lost the flyer formatting, but the info is all here.

River Rescue Workshop
    On the Green River
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    The Son!

Can someone swim in a rapid or do you just go where the water demands?

Mantel a bow

I'm sure most of you know what the rock climbing move is to "mantel". To lift yourself up so you're weight is on your hands.

An 18-foot Maravia has 24-inch tubes. The rocker is probably another 6-8 inches. So, the top of the tube at the bow is 30 inches above the water. To mantel the bow means to spring out of the water and above the tube, so you are holding yourself on top of the tube on your hands. From there it's a simple process to pull yourself into the raft. Of course, there are very few people who can do something like that.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Mantel a bow

I'm sure most of you know what the rock climbing move is to "mantel". To lift yourself up so you're weight is on your hands.

An 18-foot Maravia has 24-inch tubes. The rocker is probably another 6-8 inches. So, the top of the tube at the bow is 30 inches above the water. To mantel the bow means to spring out of the water and above the tube, so you are holding yourself on top of the tube on your hands. From there it's a simple process to pull yourself into the raft. Of course, there are very few people who can do something like that.
    Maybe fewer that have photos of them doing it! Do you have photos of you or your son doing that?

Yep, the son. I've said this many times and will say it many more, he is the best I have ever been with. He was 14 when I realized I had nothing more to teach him. He's currently the kayak instructor at Utah State U.

One of the skills we teach and practice is aggressive swimming. A life saving skill. We used to teach the defensive swim position. Not anymore. Save yourself and do it NOW!
    soitgos . . .

I may have a photo. I'll have to look for it. If not, you can take one during the workshop :-)
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Yep, the son. I've said this many times and will say it many more, he is the best I have ever been with. He was 14 when I realized I had nothing more to teach him. He's currently the kayak instructor at Utah State U.

One of the skills we teach and practice is aggressive swimming. A life saving skill. We used to teach the defensive swim position. Not anymore. Save yourself and do it NOW![/u]

You have sold me.

Do you tell campfire stories at the class? That would be the best part.