Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Man Dies after Raft Flips in Grand Canyon

Utah Man Dies after Raft Flips in Grand Canyon

Utah Man Dies after Raft Flips in Grand Canyon
    March 31st, 2007 @ 1:37pm

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) -- A Salt Lake City man died Friday afternoon after his raft flipped over while going over a rapids in the Grand Canyon, National Park Service officials said.

Marc Allred, 62, was with another man in the raft running the Crystal Rapid when the it flipped over and tossed them into the Colorado River, Grand Canyon National Park spokeswoman Maureen Oltrogge said. Allred's companion swam to shore and Allred was picked up by another boat.

Once aboard, Allred lost consciousness and the boaters started CPR, Oltrogge said. They used a satellite phone to contact park rangers, who went to the scene and continued efforts to revive Allred, but they were unsuccessful.

Allred was with his wife and 11 others on a planned 25-day trip down the canyon that began Tuesday, Oltrogge said. The Park Service flew his body to the South Rim of the canyon, accompanied by his wife.

An autopsy will be conducted by the Coconino County Medical Examiner.

The other boaters continued on the trip.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    See you on the Trail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is too bad. It really is a bummer how many people do "fun things" without the slightest realization that it may be the last thing they do. I wish this guy and his family all the best.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

tough break. but it beats dying in a hospital with tubes sticking out of you.

when i did the grand, crystal was the biggest challenge for me. it was much more serious than lava. i sneaked it on river right. it has a huge hole in it that was super scary just to watch.

my condolences go out his family and friends.

Dang.... dying on day 4 of a 25 day trip really sucks..... not meaning to be insensitive, but if it was me I would have want to get a couple more days in. I guess it really was a one-in-a-lifetime trip.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Dang.... dying on day 4 of a 25 day trip really sucks..... not meaning to be insensitive, but if it was me I would have want to get a couple more days in. I guess it really was a one-in-a-lifetime trip.

Crystal is one of the worst there... that and Lava.

The boat I was on ran it perfect..... I hardly got wet. It was smooth!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    That is too bad. It really is a bummer how many people do "fun things" without the slightest realization that it may be the last thing they do. I wish this guy and his family all the best.

I thought every rapid was the last thing I would ever do!!!!!

Lava!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here's another lava shot. what a difference in the water color. the big hole is just to my right. it's huge!!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    here's another lava shot. what a difference in the water color. the big hole is just to my right. it's huge!!

Great photo. Those HOLES are what scare me! I just cannot see how someone falling into one of those can survive.... the current would take them to the rest of the holes most likely. Dubendorf that I almost fell in had 3 BIG holes (I think) Would I, or anyone else, not have been swept through all 3 if I fell in the first? So many seem to fall out or have boats turned over, but few really do seem to die in the Grand Canyon on the river?

Anyone ever been on a river trip with a death? It would have to really suck, because the group is required to finish the trip and remove all their gear from the canyon. This means folks on the trip above will miss the funeral.

I was on a river trip once where a girl was bitten by a rattlesnake. The NPS flew the girl and her mother out but everyone else was required to finish. Fortunately for the rest of the family stuck on the river we were only one day from the end.

It would have to really suck, because the group is required to finish the trip and remove all their gear from the canyon.

.....everyone else was required to finish.

I'm not very familiar with the rules of rafting. What does that mean that people are required to finish? I can understand not being able to just abandon your stuff, but is there something that prevents members of the group from leaving early or just pulling the raft out sooner than schedule a different boat ramp than anticipated?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

on the grand canyon the first real takeout is 225 miles from the put in. you would need at least have a minimum number of people to run the boats that far. i dont know if you could hire the mules to haul your stuff up from phantom ranch or not. plus options for hiking out are limited as well. if you don't hike out from phantom ranch you would need to arrange a car pickup at the top of one of the other trailheads. so of which are rather remote. ie south bass or at the top of the trail that goes up tapeats creek and past thunder river to monument point. logistically a nightmare.

The NPS flew out the victim and spouse, as is typical in this type of case. Others could hike out at one of the access points. But bottom line is the group is still responsible for removing everything from the canyon and the easiest method to remove the gear is to float it out. I mean is sucks, but you can't just abandon your gear on the river or the NPS will issue a huge fine.

I know of one instants where a guys jeep broke down in The Maze. He told me he spent $4000 to finally get the Jeep out because the NPS would not let him abandon it. The biggest problem he had was the Jeep was only worth $2000.

Bogley BigShot
    on the grand canyon the first real takeout is 225 miles from the put in. you would need at least have a minimum number of people to run the boats that far. i dont know if you could hire the mules to haul your stuff up from phantom ranch or not. plus options for hiking out are limited as well. if you don't hike out from phantom ranch you would need to arrange a car pickup at the top of one of the other trailheads. so of which are rather remote. ie south bass or at the top of the trail that goes up tapeats creek and past thunder river to monument point. logistically a nightmare.

Bo was stung by a scorpion our 2nd night on the river. He did not set up a tent and was sleeping out on the ground. After than he started to set up his tent. Is there more than one variety of scorpions along the river in the canyon?

I was stung by one at Kolob Arch in Zion and did not have to get medical help either?

Bogley BigShot
    The NPS flew out the victim and spouse, as is typical in this type of case. Others could hike out at one of the access points. But bottom line is the group is still responsible for removing everything from the canyon and the easiest method to remove the gear is to float it out. I mean is sucks, but you can't just abandon your gear on the river or the NPS will issue a huge fine.

I know of one instants where a guys jeep broke down in The Maze. He told me he spent $4000 to finally get the Jeep out because the NPS would not let him abandon it. The biggest problem he had was the Jeep was only worth $2000.

Did you raft the Grand Canyon Shane?

my 4WD went out when i was up by paul bunyons potty in some soft sand. i was well and truly stuck. called a wrecker and he suggested that i just hitch to moab and rent a jeep and towe it out myself. so that's what i did. only cost me about $200. i'll never call a wrecker if i don't have to. unless the axle broke and it wouldn't roll of course.

Bogley BigShot
    Have you done the Grand Canyon more than once?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Nope.... The Grand the only major section of the Colorado or Green I have not done. No way in hell I can take a month off of work to do it.... so my plan at the moment is this is to be my first great adventure when I retire. Since I came up with that idea I've kinda been saving it.

It gives me something to look forward to other then wearing Depends and eating prunes

Bogley BigShot
    Nope.... The Grand the only major section of the Colorado or Green I have not done. No way in hell I can take a month off of work to do it.... so my plan at the moment is this is to be my first great adventure when I retire. Since I came up with that idea I've kinda been saving it.

It gives me something to look forward to other then wearing Depends and eating prunes

Are you in line for permit or are you going to do a commercial permit or go with others? I would love to do this trip several more times! This time not 6 weeks after surgery! OUCH!

Are you in line for permit or are you going to do a commercial permit or go with others? I would love to do this trip several more times!
    For a month long trip I would probably go Pro or maybe hook up with someone who picked up a permit. If you can go on short notice or row a raft or are willing to go off-season it's not to hard to get on a trip.

Bogley BigShot
    Are you in line for permit or are you going to do a commercial permit or go with others? I would love to do this trip several more times!
    For a month long trip I would probably go Pro or maybe hook up with someone who picked up a permit. If you can go on short notice or row a raft or are willing to go off-season it's not to hard to get on a trip.

I can do those! Sign me up!