Thread: Front Derailleur

Front Derailleur

Hey guys I am looking to upgrade an Alivio front derailleur to something better but my bike is only 8 speed. Do the new derailleur work for 8 speed to or do I need to look on ebay for something to use?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They are mostly all alike in operation. There are only four basic types...Top swing top pull, top swing bottom pull, bottom swing top pull and bottom swing bottom pull. Alivio(Im going from memory here) is a top swing bottom pull, the most common type and easiest to work with...and nearly every shop carries them. Go to Taylor Bike Shop in Kearns and they will have one in stock ( Im psychic) Guthries or any other 'real' shop will too.
    If you want to upgrade a Deore LX or XT are great replacements. You DO NOT need an XTR - even if you are racing as a pro. I run XT on the front and LX on the rear of my daily beater....never a problem and easy to adjust on trail if needed.

Great thats what I needed to know I think I am going to go with a lx as I have heard there is not much difference in lx and xt.

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Great thats what I needed to know I think I am going to go with a lx as I have heard there is not much difference in lx and xt.
    There is a very slight weight difference between LX and XT - but youll never feel it riding...were talking a few grams...and if I remember right the LX has a center part that is not metal, where the XT is all aluminum...they are both tough and reliable. The XTR is titanium and weights nothing but cost twice as much....good luck!

I run LX and XT on my two bikes with gears...they both work the same if you ask me. Both are used with an 8 speed drivetrain with no problems if that helps. Just make sure you get the right type like mentioned by greyhair biker above!

Beau

I went ahead and got an XT now next step is a new shock but that will be a month or so out.