Thread: Campout, Temple Mountain, April 20-22

Campout, Temple Mountain, April 20-22

The bi-annual San Rafael Event is at Temple Mountain on April 20-22. If you're at all into geocaching, you ought show up! Even if you're not into geocaching, well, it's still a good time. I've been to the last four campouts in the San Rafael Swell, and they're great. We always bring our kids, and we never run out of things to keep them busy and having fun.

Last fall we camped just north of I-70 at the base of the San Rafael Reef and did lots of hiking, and a few brave souls made a quick jaunt over and did Moonshine Wash. Last spring we camped at Justensen Flats and did a lot of off-roading south of Copper Globe. I imagine this year that there'll be a good mix of off-roading and hiking. I'm planning on taking my kids to Wild Horse Window, and out to some sand dunes a few miles east of UT-24.

I assume most cachers already know about this event, but I figured I'd post it just in case anyone else is interested.
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think the ole UTAG folks would run me off....j/k

No I think it would be just one particular person over there that would try that.

Just set up your tent or park your trailer near the campfire and you'll be fine. Me and the other more rowdy guys will be hanging out there all night long after the kiddies go to bed.
    Blog | FB

If I were still going to be in the State of Utah, I'd totally be there! Last time I went down to Crack Canyon, I really wanted to hit Temple Mountain. I hope you guys have a great time!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I plan on being there with my 7 year old son.

BTW, thanks for keeping us posted over here, too!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

How many people attend this event each year?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    How many people attend this event each year?
    There are probably around 30 who usually camp there the entire weekend, and an additional 20 or so who show up just on Saturday for some geocaching and a potluck dinner.
    Blog | FB

Between this, the Car show in Moab, and TrailFest with Fuzzy in Price it is a tough choice weekend.
    I have wanted to make this event for several years, it looks like a ball. This year it is Trailfest .
    next year maybe!

It was a great time there in the Swell. Lots of People were there playing in the area too.

Nice to meet you, Udink!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Udink, you going to post your video up here? Its a good one!
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Udink, you going to post your video up here? Its a good one!
    Here it is.

I just got back from camp yesterday afternoon. It had rained all morning, but I'm still glad I stayed an extra day. I wish I could have done Crack Canyon with you guys, and I'll probably go back pretty soon (minus the wife and kids this time) to try it out.
    Blog | FB

I'd wait a bit. DorkTeam put a geocache up there.

He said he was gonna call it "The Suppository"
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    I'd wait a bit. DorkTeam put a geocache up there.

He said he was gonna call it "The Suppository"
    A cache up Crack canyon called the suppository

I've finally gotten around to posting some pictures from the trip. A few of them are below, and there are more here.

The camping spot in Temple Wash

My wife attempting to climb up to a geocache (she couldn't make it)

The kids in Wild Horse Canyon (not the "Little" one)
    Blog | FB

Nice pics thanks for sharing