Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utahns receiving anti-Mormon DVDs

Utahns receiving anti-Mormon DVDs

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660206841,00.html

[b]Utah residents are being targeted in a strategically timed national campaign against Mormonism that was launched Sunday

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maybe that is the reason why the number of permits to protest are down for General Conference. All the money is going to produce and send a DVD rather than hire the fine upstanding folks who yell gibberish in the bull horn outside the conference center. Whatever floats their boat.....
    Life is Good

Don't the fine folks at Solid Rock Christian Fellowship have anything better to do? That's utterly pathetic and a little bit creepy.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

I'm gonna put a uutah.com business card in the case and send it back.

Wow, anti-Mormon literature...we've never seen this before. How original...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways. It's only logical. If there's any logic involved on the subject...

Sometimes fervent belief is not friendly toward the neighbours.

Don't feel bad - every person who comes to my door sharing, pushing, or selling their religion is dead set against my personal religious feelings. Just gotta roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'm gonna put a uutah.com business card in the case and send it back.
    Most important issue in this thread: You have a uutah.com business card?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Very very soon.

As a religious bystander, I have long admired the Mormons for their work ethic and ability to make something of nothing. The main difference I have seen between the Mormon beliefs and other Christian religions is the strong emphasis on family, which I feel is a fundamental characteristic of the LDS. I have never understood the need for some religions to try to promote themselves by bashing another. All religions seem to teach tolerance rather than judgment, yet many religious leaders are compelled to put down the others.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways.
    Some approaches are more effective than others. I don't care much for the way a lot of anti mormons approach the subject.

My question - why do they only send this crap out twice a year? I mean, most of us are Mormon's 365 - we can handle a bit more anti-stuff
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

< DVD's = < protest signs. I'd rather see more protest signs. They're quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    All religions seem to teach tolerance rather than judgment, yet many religious leaders are compelled to put down the others.

This accounts for my disdain for organized religion. Any religion professes to know the answers and have the keys to the kingdom is suspect in my book. And that's almost every religion out there. I grew up around a lot of catholics and fundamentalist born-agains, so know the territory. Ultimately it makes for sublime entertainment watching the factions duke it out.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    < DVD's = < protest signs. I'd rather see more protest signs. They're quite funny.

Do people REALLY protest the temple?

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    This accounts for my disdain for organized religion.
    You're right. God doesn't want people to get together and discuss Him. It's just rude.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways.
    Some approaches are more effective than others. I don't care much for the way a lot of anti mormons approach the subject.
    Good point - many churches seem to heap scorn on Mormons in particular (along with Jehovah's Witnesses, I think). Maybe to some, LDS just doesn't have enough history yet, being a relatively new 'sect'?

Anyway, I agree with sparker1 - admiration for the work ethic, and the emphasis on family. Perhaps both have something to do with the previous paragraph?

As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways. It's only logical. If there's any logic involved on the subject...
    Ha, logic . . .

It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote

Do people REALLY protest the temple?

All the time! Especially during General Conference. They have huge signs telling us (Mormons) that we are going to Hell. People rip up Mormon garments (which believe to be sacred), there are always protesters doing all sorts of things that if we were Jewish (or pretty much anyone else), they would get in trouble for hate crimes, but bashing Mormons is a lot more publicly acceptable.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Interesting article (make sure to click on the links if interested):

http://en.fairmormon.org/index.php/S..._the_Truth_DVD
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Good point - many churches seem to heap scorn on Mormons in particular (along with Jehovah's Witnesses, I think). Maybe to some, LDS just doesn't have enough history yet, being a relatively new 'sect'?

I'm gonna start protesting Catholics for The Inquisition.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Interesting article (make sure to click on the links if interested):

http://en.fairmormon.org/index.php/S..._the_Truth_DVD
    I just looked around for a bit (sorry, you know I'm not the reading type) and found this review of the DVD
    Rather than focus on what they believe, the video's producers have taken it upon themselves to describe and interpret LDS beliefs and teachings,
    This seems to be the case for a lot of non mormon "educators". They'll talk all about the things they think are strange with the LDS church, and eventually you're like, "Well, what the hell do you want then? Is this going somewhere?"

Thx for the link Scott.