Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TR: Canyonlands, Maze District.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Wow. I've never seen pictures of that area before and have spent nearly no time in Canyonlands other than mountain biking White Rim... it's gorgeous!! Your pictures are soooo great! Am I understanding that you had to rappel in to start your backpacking trip?
    No. You can scramble all the way in. We just rappelled for the fun of it the first night.

My wife is pretty understanding, and doesn't mind if I go.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    We accessed Petes Mesa from Shot Canyon, which was a very interesting climb. I will dig up some pictures of the route out.
    hmmmmm... are you sure ? shot canyoyn is a couple miles from petes mesa, w/ jasper canyon in between them. do you mean you came from teh trail junction at chimney rock, following jaspers west rim ? when we were there in 00 i believe there was no camping up there either. glad that has changed. sure got some killer views on top ! i didn't have time to wander too much, just teh southeastern side overlookign jasper.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    We accessed Petes Mesa from Shot Canyon, which was a very interesting climb. I will dig up some pictures of the route out.
    hmmmmm... are you sure ? shot canyoyn is a couple miles from petes mesa, w/ jasper canyon in between them. do you mean you came from teh trail junction at chimney rock, following jaspers west rim ? when we were there in 00 i believe there was no camping up there either. glad that has changed. sure got some killer views on top ! i didn't have time to wander too much, just teh southeastern side overlookign jasper.

You are right, sorry about the mix up. looking at the map it is an unnamed mesa.

Back country camping is open anywhere, except Pete's Mesa, like you said. Maybe that's why it stuck in my mind. I guess I better be careful about that mixup. Everywhere else is fine, as long as it is 300 feet from archive sites, vehicle camping areas, and parking areas. Hiking off trails is allowed everywhere, except around the dollhouse area. That is due to the river runners trampling all over the place. Of course they ask that you tread lightly on the crypto soil.

You are right, sorry about the mix up. looking at the map it is an unnamed mesa. Back country camping is open anywhere, except Pete's Mesa.
    looks pretty all teh same ! i believe they said petes was a no-no because of desert bighorns (?). but can't remember.

Everywhere else is fine, as long as it is 300 feet from archive sites, vehicle camping areas, and parking areas. Hiking off trails is allowed everywhere, except around the dollhouse area. That is due to the river runners trampling all over the place. Of course they ask that you tread lightly on the crypto soil.
    funny story on those regs...

we had planned to go to standing rock camp from hite, but teapot canyon kicked our ford escapes ass. sooooooo... after a few hours of driving in that way we turned around, went into hans flat and and hiked down north trail canyon instead. we were up all night driving. we didn't want to break the rules by not going to our designated site that the permit stated. 1/2 way to the maze overlook we met some rangers who said they got the note we left at hans flat stating we weren't able to reach standing rocks, so we are parked at north point adn will go in that way. hope that is ok ! don't wanna break " da' rules". they got quite a chuckle and thought we were nuts because we could have parked teh vehgicle ANYwhere along that road in from hite so long as there was legitimate space to do so. so instead of stoppign a coupel miles, or maybe 3-4, from our main target of ernies country, we spent all night driving around to hike 13 miles to teh maze overlook and down into the s fork horse complex. THEN out via the plug and down to ernies th near the bottom of the golden stairs. *whew* i went up petes as a side trip on day 2 as we moved camp. we hiked many miles that trip ! took every bit of 6 days to cover all the ground we wanted to see. and it was worht it !

canyonlands has the most amazing color to the landscape, as your pics captured well.
    signature

kris,

glad you had a great trip. the photos were superb. your welcome for the info. that camp at french spring fork is beautiful. your truck looks good with some canyonlands mud on it.

i can't wait to go back there again. i should be in the area the last week of april of first week of may, if anyone would like to meet up. i have a 4runner and will have tons of gear. ropes, rack, water etc.... i would love to spend some time exploring the fins and ernies country.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i can't wait to go back there again. i should be in the area the last week of april of first week of may, if anyone would like to meet up. i have a 4runner and will have tons of gear. ropes, rack, water etc.... i would love to spend some time exploring the fins and ernies country.
    That looks like three of us, so far, in there around the same time... It seems my brother and my friend won't be able to make it, so it looks like either April 22rd (late) to 26th (early) or May 1st to 4th is good for me in the area. Maybe I'll start a new thread, stop hijacking this one...

How hot is the mail man?
    We only have a mail woman and don't you dare say what I think you might say.

You got a pool boy?
    No one in Craig Colorado has a pool.

Do you tell her how to cook? What is it man? Do you walk around the house naked? Are you messing the place up? I have to know, I've never heard of this behavior before.....
    Nah, none of that. She just likes some quiet time to read and relax every once in a while.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Back country camping is open anywhere, except Pete's Mesa, like you said.
    Camping is (or was?) banned at the seeps in the Ernies Country as well.

Anyway, once again Kris, nice trip report. The Maze is a great area.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

If anyone is interested in seeing the "Maze with out seeing the Maze" and without any NPS regulations, Fiddler Cove Canyon looks exactly like the Maze. I would recommend it as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'll echo-great trip report and great photos. I haven't really thought much about the maze lately, but the last few reports are definitely selling the area quite well. May have to make a side trip next time I'm down .(Cirrus, you can be the advance party)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Back country camping is open anywhere, except Pete's Mesa, like you said.
    Camping is (or was?) banned at the seeps in the Ernies Country as well.

Anyway, once again Kris, nice trip report. The Maze is a great area.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

If anyone is interested in seeing the "Maze with out seeing the Maze" and without any NPS regulations, Fiddler Cove Canyon looks exactly like the Maze. I would recommend it as well.
    Where is that located?

The parkie at Hans Flat only said the Mesa was closed to camping. I would like to go back, and hit up Ernies country next time. I think the nice part of the maze, is how remote it is. The views are alright too.

Bogley BigShot
    Great Stuff! You even have a great foot shot! So what were you doing posted a picture of women's socks at flicker.