Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Ship in a Cyclone

Cruise Ship in a Cyclone

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That would be freaking scary!

I'd always wanted to see how those designs handle in heavy seas. That's awful. Too much up top, not enough bow. They maximize cabin at the expense of seaworthiness. That was a really bad field too, though.

The white-knuckle fear of piloting a boat in heavy seas is like nothing else. I feel sorry for the captain here -- this must have gone on for hours.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

YIKES! So why would a cruise liner ever be close to seas like that. Did the captian forget to watch the news at 10:00? Weather reports? HELLLLO...
    Life is Good

Looks like too many people had the buffet that night and they are all on the right side of the ship.

If this boat's a rockin', don't come a knockin'.

I'm not understanding how it's leaning so far to the right. There must be more than the waves to affect it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    YIKES! So why would a cruise liner ever be close to seas like that. Did the captian forget to watch the news at 10:00? Weather reports? HELLLLO...
    It looks to me like the wind is coming from the port quarter. If so this would account for some of the roll to the starboard.

He might not be able to turn into the wind due to an engineering casualty or hazard to navigation. Something we cannot see like a reef or whatnot.

And if he did turn into the wind it might increase the roll because of the waves and swell.

Doesn't look like he making much way either and while I cannot see anyone on deck or bridge I wonder why the helicopter is there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'm not understanding how it's leaning so far to the right. There must be more than the waves to affect it like that.

It's because the boat is very topheavy -- poor design. Also, he's taking those seas off the quarter now and then, which causes a hard roll. Then the wind is catching the high sides and contributing to the roll. The boat, if you notice, has a rounded chine -- another factor in the roll. Also think he didn't have enough forward speed to overcome the roll, but I don't want to second guess the captain. Had he gone broadside, the boat would have laid down for sure.

That ship design is crap. That's the story in the film.

So, it's waves, wind, design, and speed.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote

That ship design is crap. That's the story in the film.
    That ship was in the mediterranean, which is know for having calm waters. A huge storm, cyclone, freak tsunami, etc. can actually happen pretty much any where at any time. Often being docked will only make it worse (because the ship is tied up and scraps against the dock until the ship sinks, or the dock is destroyed.

The ship design is awesome. I don't know if you guys have ever seen a cruise ship out of the water, but it is basically a huge catamaran. If the ship design were not excellent, the ship would have sunk.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    The ship design is awesome. I don't know if you guys have ever seen a cruise ship out of the water, but it is basically a huge catamaran. If the ship design were not excellent, the ship would have sunk.
    That doesn't look like a catamaran. Do you have a pic of that hull out of water? When she was yawing, you could see the round chine. The film's a bit rough. But I really don't think it's a cat. Too narrow, single bow.

Disc, I know you like to argue any point w/me, but the reason that boat didn't lay down is superior handling by a seasoned captain. I don't know really whether he tried to heave to or what, but loooking at the film you provided, that boat didn't have much grace. She is entirely too top-heavy, as proved by the film.

I've spent loads of time on the water, and more than enough in hard seas. What I see on the film is a boat that's very awkward. Cruise ships have a lot of different s\designs -- some good, some not.

Do you know the circumstances here? Were there passengers?

-- Wm Blake

Rev- I know you like to argue with me! But seriously I have spent a lot of time around cruise ships and most of them do have similar designs over the last 10 years, with different amenities. I'll see what I can find.

Rev- I know you like to argue with me! But seriously I have spent a lot of time around cruise ships and most of them do have similar designs over the last 10 years, with different amenities. I'll see what I can find.
    Business or pleasure?

-- Wm Blake

Both. I was employed by Holland America for a couple of years. I have taken 3 of their cruises.

Both. I was employed by Holland America for a couple of years. I have taken 3 of their cruises.
    That must have been an experience -- were you working "on baord," or otherwise?

-- Wm Blake

Otherwise. I have been on board lots of times for work, but I have never worked on the boat.

You two need to get a room at that cruise ship

No humping on Port Side. We're having a little bit of a weight issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    No humping on Port Side. We're having a little bit of a weight issue.

No figgining in the rigging. Always to leward, never to windward.

Yarrgh!!!

Hey, I'm putting my cruiser back in the water this spring. Couldn't sell her for a resonable sum in this market, so I'm condemned to put out to sea again. Now where's my martini shaker...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

-- Wm Blake

Ahhh, you're a polluter of our waterways. Take up swimming, no motorized use on the water