Thread: San Rafael Swell Conditions

San Rafael Swell Conditions

Does anybody know what the conditions in the Swell are like right now? I was planning on going through the Sqeeze this Saturday and if I feel good on Sunday morning Quandary, if not something shorter/easier.

I understand the north wash area got a lot of water a week ago and the canyons there are (or were) most likely full. I was wondering if anybody knows if the hidden splendor area of the swell is full of water. I am also wondering if I am being too aggresive in thinking I can go through those now with a 3mm wetsuit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went through cable canyon on the 15th and all but one of the potholes were dry. The one that did have water was really cold though. I took a 4/3 wetsuit and did not wear it. Not sure if the seger's would be the same or if it would have water. Go prepared 3mm might be a little chilly if it is FULL of really cold run off.

you can PROBABLY go through them with a 3mm wetsuit and not die depending on your natural thickness but you will freeze big time if theres any amount of water. Find a 2mm shortee for 20-40 bucks to add that to your 3mm and you should be good to go, you'll still find it chilly though if there's much water but I personally have done it with that set up at similar times of year and its worth it. You can't go to Hidden Splendor and expect dryness, they just aren't dry canyons. But then again its been much warmer than a normal March so I guess 3mm is probably more adequate than it normally would be in march. By the middle or end of April 3mm is good to go. By the end of May: typically shortee time.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    you can PROBABLY go through them with a 3mm wetsuit and not die depending on your natural thickness but you will freeze big time if theres any amount of water. Find a 2mm shortee for 20-40 bucks to add that to your 3mm and you should be good to go, you'll still find it chilly though if there's much water but I personally have done it with that set up at similar times of year and its worth it. You can't go to Hidden Splendor and expect dryness, they just aren't dry canyons. But then again its been much warmer than a normal March so I guess 3mm is probably more adequate than it normally would be in march. By the middle or end of April 3mm is good to go. By the end of May: typically shortee time.

Welcome BACK Benny!

I agree. Depending on your personal thickness, 3mm might be insufficient. I have worn 3mm in wet canyons in late summer and been chilled before, but I'm a skinny guy and get cold easy. I have found 5mm to be my personal comfort zone.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Hey Benny, we missed ya. Where you been?

I use a 3mm full wetsuit for most everything and would have no problems wearing one through the Squeeze on a nice spring day. But then again... I don't get cold easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    But then again... I don't get cold easy.
    Don't get cold easy? Then what's with the neoprene socks?

Quote Originally Posted by utidcapaco
    Don't get cold easy? Then what's with the neoprene socks?
    Actually I always wear neoprene socks when canyoneering because it keeps the sand away from my foot and provides some extra padding.

Hmmm. . . maybe I should try them.

According to Summit41, Hidden Splendor area got quite a bit of rain last Saturday. If so, then the potholes will most likely be full. I did the Squeeze last year in April sans wetsuit and it was DAMN cold. The high that day was about 65. You will definitely be cold with a 3mm and what fun is a canyon is you are chasing sunlight?