Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering Courses

Canyoneering Courses

Hey guys,

I am looking in to taking some canyoneering classes this year, hopefully before summer gets really far underway. I noticed there are a few options, including North Wash Outfitters, Zion Adventure Company, Zion Rock and Mountain guides, and the ACA courses in Cedar City. Any one have any insight on which courses are the preferred ones?

Looking through the archives, I noticed Rich's course in Cedar City is highly recommended, but it doesn't look like there is another one until October.

I've done 4 or 5 technical canyons with more experienced leaders, so I am basically just looking to increase my skillset to be more prepared. Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

never taken any courses anywhere (and really don't understand teh need to if i can get out and do it w/ others who are willign to pass along tips and techniques), but have heard rich likes to teach inside, dave likes to do outside. don't know how valid that is but that is what i have heard from a few sources. and in my mind bluff is a much nicer locale. but i am prejudiced ! no idea on the zion outfitters courses.
    signature

Hansen Mountaineering does a class. I am actually taking it on April 7th. I have a brother-in-law (Cacccc) but I dont want to be a bother so I just took the class. Its $30 to take it. I will try to find this thread again after it is done and let you know what I thought about it. I am an extreme noobe to canyoneering/ropes so I thought a class was a good idea.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Hansen Mountaineering does a class.
    I'm familiar with most the canyoneering classes/schools and this is the first I have heard about the Hansen Mountaineerings course. If they teach a basic skills class for $30 that is a bargain. I would be interested in hearing more.

If you are a noob I think any course you take will be a major benefit.

I took a course with Zion Rock. The course I took taught basic skills with a lot of emphasis on safety. Classroom was about 3 1/2 hrs and then we went and did some skills in a small area outside Zion. Went back to the classroom for another 1 1/2 hrs.

Time and money well spent.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I've taken the basic course with North Wash Outfitters w/ Dave Black and Jared Hillhouse and found it highly informative.

Most the ropework was done inside/outside of a coffee shop before hand till we had worked through most things and then headed out to a quick practice canyon within minutes.
    I found that it both touched on advanced techniques (how many other classes rappel off knot chocks? :) as well as being n00b friendly (having just started climbing/canyoneering, I couldn't even tie a bowline, yet was not exiled to the land of the n00bs)

Definitely recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Hansen Mountaineering does a class.
    I'm familiar with most the canyoneering classes/schools and this is the first I have heard about the Hansen Mountaineerings course. If they teach a basic skills class for $30 that is a bargain. I would be interested in hearing more.

If you are a noob I think any course you take will be a major benefit.

I too would like to hear more. I know many of those guys out there. I am curious as to who is teaching and what it is they are teaching.
    Life is Good

I hear the the Emperor himself, Mr. Tom Jones will be doing some guiding for Zion Adventure Company this year. Tom is excellent with noobs and I've always considered ZAC to be the Cadillac of canyoneering schools.

I'm not sure if The Emperor will just be guiding or also teaching some classes. He occationally lurks around this forum, maybe he will give us some more details.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

you pays your money, you take your chances...

I hear the the Emperor himself, Mr. Tom Jones will be doing some guiding for Zion Adventure Company this year. Tom is excellent with noobs and I've always considered ZAC to be the Cadillac of canyoneering schools.

I'm not sure if The Emperor will just be guiding or also teaching some classes. He occationally lurks around this forum, maybe he will give us some more details.

I'm not sure they've scheduled me for classes, but we talked about it. CAN do whatever class you want. You payz your money, we do it your way. Tom

I've always considered ZAC to be the Cadillac of canyoneering schools.
    Interesting - good to know this. A friend and I were looking at their rates last fall, and (I at least) thought they were a bit steep. But if they're good, I'm happy to pay the going rate. Thanks.

Oh, hang on - "Cadillac" as in good (1970), or "Cadillac" as in overpriced and of shoddy quality (1990)? I'm assuming the former...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Oh, hang on - "Cadillac" as in good (1970), or "Cadillac" as in overpriced and of shoddy quality (1990)? I'm assuming the former...
    I'm thinking 1959.... I like the big tail fins....

But from Tom's post above it sounds like he will work about whatever you want... hard to beat that deal.

Re: you pays your money, you take your chances...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    I'm not sure they've scheduled me for classes, but we talked about it. CAN do whatever class you want. You payz your money, we do it your way. Tom
    What is the going rate to sit at the feet of the great emperor while learning the nuances of this craft?

Personally, I'd rather not support the Zion Adventure Company if I can help it. All though I hear their staffs for canyon hiking are the best on the Colorado Plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Personally, I'd rather not support the Zion Adventure Company if I can help it.
    Ooooh, I'm intrigued. Why?

Sorry, that last comment sounded like I had something against the ZAC, which I don't.

Basically, I'd rather pay someone straight up rather than split the money multiple ways, where the guide probably doesn't get a huge cut of the cash. I figure ZAC can help hook up people with guides, but why go through the ZAC if you can go straight to the source?

I am willing to guide for free but you have to convince my wife to let me go... I think the best place to learn it, is in the canyon with an experienced rock whore. And if you are a noob then add a little extra time to your trip.... And dont forget the "silver burrito", nobody wants to see it...

Re: Canyoneering Courses

Hey guys,

I am looking in to taking some canyoneering classes this year, hopefully before summer gets really far underway. I noticed there are a few options, including North Wash Outfitters, Zion Adventure Company, Zion Rock and Mountain guides, and the ACA courses in Cedar City. Any one have any insight on which courses are the preferred ones?

I've done 4 or 5 technical canyons with more experienced leaders, so I am basically just looking to increase my skillset to be more prepared. Thanks in advance.

Dan
    We would love to have you get into some of our classes here. We have recently added some new courses to our schedule this spring. Check them out at

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/courses.htm

Thank you for looking at our courses.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

I took a class on Saturday 4/7/07. It was at the Hansen Mountaineering store in orem, but it was taught by 12 Finger Outdoor or something like that. The owner of 12 finger is Dan. Our teacher was John. The class was a basic climbing/rappelling etc. class. The class was for getting the cert for "Topping out" and "Climb on safely" for the BSA. It was fairly basic and centered around the scouts. I don't think people normally take this class unless they are part of the BSA but I don't know. I left the info I had for them at home. They don't just teach the BSA class. John said they teach all kinds of classes.

I used to rock climb in high school but this class was a great refresher. They taught alot and had patience with people who really knew nothing about climbing/rappelling.

Just to clarify Hansen Mountaineering doesn't own 12 Finger. They just let 12 finger use their facilities.
    The man thong is wrong.

Tom, Do I owe you some money, lol

What is the going rate to sit at the feet of the great emperor while learning the nuances of this craft?
    Dan,

A few years back, when I first met Tom at one of his fest's, and I was pretty much toast after doing Telephone and Behunin in 12 hours shuttle to shuttle, he showed me alot of canyoneering techniques (probably spent 2+ hours). Lots of contingency, knots, how to help people in case of emergencies. He put me into a bunch of scenarios and I had to get my way out of them. Taking a one on one class would be pretty helpful indeed, I would even consider doing it again, and paying for it. Jump on the offer if ever it presents itself. Once learned/shown you have to put it into practice though and often, otherwise you will lose it.

Also, when ever you go do canyons, get involved (carry ropes, stuff rope bag's, ask to setup the simpler rappels...etc) this will let you enjoy the canyon better and get you some skillsets. The more you do this and hopefully going out with more experienced canyoneers (for more advanced techniques) you will learn alot. Watch what is going on.

Wasatch,

Thanks for the tips. I actually went on the Tom's Fest this past weekend, and learned a fair amount. Basically had Tom to myself, after everyone bailed due to the poor weather. It was good to see how the experienced guys set up, and I still think I will take an ACA class later in the year.

Come to think of it, I probably should pay Tom for his efforts... Had a great time down there.