Thread: Capital Reef Hiking

Capital Reef Hiking

Cohab Canyon to Frying Pan to Cassidy Arch.... enjoy!

My best friend (for 32 years, can you believe that?) came for a visit from MI. We road tripped down south in the Vanagon and had some grand adventures.....
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Weather looked a little iffy... Glad you had a good time. Nice photos - thanks for sharing them!

You're very welcome! :-) The weather was iffy! Rain off and on the whole time, with some spotty hail and, as we got to the top, thunder. The thunder seemed north of us (it was all at Little Wild Horse!) but just as we climbed the rocky top where the arch is - BAM!!! a HUGE thunder boomer - I can assure you, I high tailed it off of there!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Thanks for sharing. I love Capitol Reef. I remember the Frying Pan trail being suprisingly strenuous, with a lot of up and down.

Those are nice shots. Thanks for sharing. I'll be in Capitol Reef within a few days.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

There is a lot of up and down on Frying Pan! But I definately recommend it - it was an amazingly beautiful hike, Sparker, if you're going there soon, definately do that one before the sun gets too hot, I can imagine why they call it the Frying Pan. :-) One of the prettiest hikes I've ever done.

you're killing me here. love those desert lightning and thunder storms. from a safe distance of course.

What a great place to be! Capitol Reef will always be my favorite. There's nothing prettier than seeing a rainstorm down there. Nice photos by the way. Vanagon... sweet ride.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Thanks for sharing all your adventures in this section. Its been fun reading them and seeing the pictures. Great place to visit with a good friend for sure.

love that clearing (or was it building ?) storm, dappled lighting.

cool...
    signature

Thanks for sharing, great pictures. I, too, love a deseert storm. I need to go back up there and do a couple of hikes.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    love that clearing (or was it building ?) storm, dappled lighting.

cool...
    It was moving through in waves. Rain, hail, thunder, clear sky, rain, hail, thunder, clear sky.... We kept thinking it was going to clear up because of the intermittent sun, but then another big 'ol grey cloud would come across from the south. It was pretty exciting! Fortunately, no earthbound lightning. :-)

nice tree

beautiful photos, nice lighting!

i remember in sixth grade my class came down for two nights and we hiked this route from the CG up to cassidy. my buddy and i were the first to get to the arch ... i sat and watched him walk on it ... wow, that was something else!

thanks for sharin'