Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydration Packs

Hydration Packs

I'm getting rather frustrated with leaks in my Camelbak 100oz. bladders and starting to wonder what kind of experience others have had with various brands of hydration bladders/packs.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I keep getting the cheapo bags from the Recreation Outlet on 33rd and keep getting my bag wet every time.

I am seriously considering just carrying nalgene bottles with me instead.

Yeah, I've given up on bladders. I hate the taste, they pop inconveniently, and they suck to pump water into, or out of for cooking. Nalgene bottles all the way for me... But, the camelbacks are super convenient, especially for mountain biking, etc... Backpacking though, I stick to bottles.

Dan

I gave up on bladders. I now carry Gatorade bottles.

I use the cheap Outdoor Products 2L bladders from Wal-Mart--I think they're $8 each. With their most recent model (the light blue wide-mouth), I've only had one fail in the past two years.

I haven't had any problems with the 4 Camelbak bladders that I own.

How many problems/bladders have you had?
    Let's Roll

i love my camelbacks. my 100oz i've had for over 3 years with no problems. i keep it in a codura sleeve i made to protect it and its always on top of my pack so it doesn't get crushed. if you are going to go back to bottles don't go nalgene. they are so heavy. a old soda or juice bottle is lighter, cheaper and easily replaced. 1.5 liter or 2 liter are at every podunk gas station on the road.

My biggest problem with bladders is when they fail you can really be screwed. Think 10 miles from your car in the hot desert. I now carry my water in multiple one liter bottles. I have seen 4 or 5 bladders fail in my life from falls and such.

I love my Camelbaks I have one I have been using regularly for 3 years I have since bought three more for the twins and other uses. I have never had a leak. I will never go back to taking my pack off to get a drink.
    See you on the Trail

My bladder is fine thank you... What was the question?? Oh ya. I love my Camelback. I have had two in 8 years and my second I just purchased. I bought the insulator bag thing to put the bladder in and I have never had it pop or leak and believe me, I abuse my stuff pretty bad in canyons. I have had to replace a mouth piece or two from the skinny stuff in the north wash. The new camelpack bladders are supposed to be stronger and not have the "taste". I never know cause I mix Gatorade and water in my pack. Also, I typically carry one bottle, just in case. Gratefully, "just in case" has not happened.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I abuse my stuff pretty bad in canyons.
    In canyons? How do you keep your mouth piece out of the putrid water?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I abuse my stuff pretty bad in canyons.
    In canyons? How do you keep your mouth piece out of the putrid water?

I don't.... adds flavor and protein. Mixed with a little sand you just about get all your minerals and protein for a day Actually, I have never really worried about it. Either I tuck the tube behind my neck and try not to go under water. Also, I squeeze the mouth piece allowing anything in the mouthpiece and tube to flush out and then drink. Never been sick yet (knock on wood.) And given the number of mouth fulls I've experienced a few drops on the mouth piece aren't too worrisome. After all, it can't be a whole lot worse than dunking your Gatorade bottles in the drink and then partaking.
    Life is Good

To be fair, I've had Camelbaks for several years and used them extensively without a lot of trouble. Once before, I needed to have a replacement cap and handle send for a 100 oz. reservoir that chronically leaked from the cap.

But during a recent trip, I had leaks spring from two different 100 oz. reservoirs. One hole I found before we left because there was a plume of water coming out of hole in the nipple which connects the bladder to the hose. Then another bladder had a slower leak that I found when water dripped onto the back of legs after hoisting the backpack I use to carry my daughter.

It's interesting that some here forgo hydration bladders entirely, though. In spite of the hassles of leaks, I can't imagine not having that bite valve handy, as it helps immensely in keeping hydrated. Since there are many manufacturers making bladders now, I was hoping to glean some first hand information.

Thanks for the replies, and please keep them coming.

I used bottles in ancient history, went to bladders about 1997 and used them exclusively until about 2003. About then I experienced and witnessed several problems as mentioned above and have went back to bottles. I'll still use a bladder occasionally or for things like riding my mountain bike. I'm not dis'n bladders, just telling you the reasons I switched back to bottles. I don't think any of the experienced canyoneers I usually partner with use bladders when in canyons.

One other fault I found with bladders is sometimes I get low on water before realizing I still have a long way to go. With bottles you always know exactly what you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    don't think any of the experienced canyoneers I usually partner with use bladders when in canyons.
    In that case, I should mention that I only use mine for hiking--never been canyoneering with mine. I doubt the cheap ones would stand up to much abuse.
    Blog | FB

Too bad about you experience with bladders. I love my camelbaks it would be hard for me to carry bottles.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I also use the semi-disposable Walmart specials. The only problem I have with mine is the mouthpiece dribbles. By the time I've made it to camp I'll have a big wet spot on my shoulder. Unfortunately the tube is a different size or I would swap the mouthpiece off my cameback because I like the Outdoor products bag alot better.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

On the off chance that anyone cares, I should follow up with a hearty compliment for Camelbak's customer service. Today I received brand new replacements for the two leaking bladders. One of the used bladders was several years old, and I didn't even have a receipt for either one. So, I'd have to say that Camelbak's replacement policy is generous.

Nonetheless, I ordered a Deuter bladder to use with the Deuter pack. Just to see how a different one works.

I use the MSR dromedary bags, have several sizes, I take it in my cave pack that gets thrown down drops, dragged and stuffed in tight places, never had a problem. Just tuck the drinking tube inside, and I use the mouthpiece that can be "locked" off.

Backpacking I usually have it bagged in a trash bag just in case. Never had one leak even under a lot of compression.
    Bottles take up too much space for my taste, I'll usually have a Nalgene along clipped to outside of pack just in case. I'll also carry a big Platypus collapsable bag to haul water from springs. Also these water bags are less weight than most bottles, although some of the bottles are pretty light.
    You can rest when you're dead

For canyoneering I use a Platypus (100oz.) filled with PowerAde, plus a bottle of PowerAde. For Backpacking, Snowshoeing, and Day Hikes I use 2-3 Nalgene bottles filled with CytoMax.