Thread: Critics Don't Want Sky-Bridge Built Downtown

Critics Don't Want Sky-Bridge Built Downtown

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1013742

Critics say the sky-walk will funnel people from one side of the City Creek project to the other, essentially trapping people in the shopping complex and drawing them away from Main Street shops.
    HELP!!! HELP!!! We're trapped!

They argue the purpose of the complex was to draw people to Main Street to revitalize the area.

But developers say the sky-walk is crucial to the project and argue it will increase foot traffic on Main Street.
    I guess there's always somebody in opposition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are lots of sky bridges around the world, and it does not seem like business around them goes under. I guess I'll be curious to see what happens here.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

EVERYTHING on Main Street goes under. A sky bridge won't help or hurt it. It's the fact that Utah has three seasons: colder than hell, pretty nice, and hotter than hell. It makes outdoor shopping a dicey proposition unless you load up the block with high end stores like The Gateway.

The LDS church is concern with the neighborhood around Temple Square, so they are taking the fiscal approach of just throwing money at the problem to make it go away. The LDS church is spending over a billion dollars on improvements for the neighborhood of Temple Square hoping to encourage a better atmosphere.

I would think this sky bridge has to be part of that, but I'm not sure how that is going to make the streets any safer?

I say put that monstrosity at the Grand Canyon, where it belongs.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I used to Live Near Spokane Washington They have something like a dozen Sky bridges So that you can move all over down town with out ever touching pavement. Yet the street level business are just as busy as the upper level businesses.
    See you on the Trail

Yeah, I was also thinking about Seattle and how little it has effected business there. I think people just hate changed (me included).

OOPS
    I was wrong Spokane does not have a dozen sky bridges they have 21.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A961948260

I noticed the article said they started 20 years ago but I remember using them 30 Years ago
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    OOPS

I noticed the article said they started 20 years ago but I remember using them 30 Years ago
    You may want to limit your intake of Aluminum Foil for a few weeks and see if it helps....
    Life is Good

OOPS

Wow ScoutMaster! Way to back up your posts!

You may want to limit your intake of Aluminum Foil for a few weeks and see if it helps.... lol8
    P~ Nothing wrong with long term memory It's the short term that is failing me.
    I DO remember walking all over town back in 1977 on the sky bridges.
    See you on the Trail

You may want to limit your intake of Aluminum Foil for a few weeks and see if it helps.... lol8
    P~ Nothing wrong with long term memory It's the short term that is failing me.
    I DO remember walking all over town back in 1977 on the sky bridges.
    You know I'm just joshing.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    EVERYTHING on Main Street goes under. A sky bridge won't help or hurt it. It's the fact that Utah has three seasons: colder than hell, pretty nice, and hotter than hell. It makes outdoor shopping a dicey proposition unless you load up the block with high end stores like The Gateway.
    Personally, I dont think the weather is that bad, and it really hasnt effected Gateway at all. Winters are mild, summers are tolerable if you can sit in the shade a sip a icy beverage. What down town needs are places where people want to hang out - and of which I have seen no where in the entire Salt Lake valley - that would be cool little pubs, coffee shops and restaurants with OUTDOOR SEATING. Every very cool town I've ever been in has hundreds of people walking about and hanging out outside because they can. Great for people watching and enjoying the views.

What's the take on the church allowing shops to be open on Sundays and on allowing liquor to be sold? What about coffee shops??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Scott P. Card said
    You know I'm just joshing
    Do you know what P~ means?
    See you on the Trail

You know who the loudest voice in opposition is Rocky and there's only one reason he's fighting it... the church is funding it. He will do anything he can to make it as difficult as possible.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    What's the take on the church allowing shops to be open on Sundays and on allowing liquor to be sold? What about coffee shops??
    Probably not much if it's not on their property.

Last I heard, which was about a year ago, the church was going to allow coffee and alcoholic beverages to be sold in their new downtown development, The City Creek Center. However, they will sell the restaurant spaces to a private developer so that the church won't be directly involved in any alcohol sales. They are not going to allow private clubs and bars to open in the new development though, liquor will only be sold through "high quality restaurant tenants".(1) Stores in the City Creek Center will be closed on Sundays, but restaurants can choose to remain open.(2)

(1)Booze Yes, Sundays No (PDF alert)
    (2)Downtown rebound: LDS Church unveils plans for 20-acre development

I know that when there was concern about Olympic events being in Provo (where alcohol is not able to be sold at sporting events) the LDS leader (Gordon B. Hinckley) made it clear that people should be able to buy beer if they want it for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Last I heard, which was about a year ago, the church was going to allow coffee and alcoholic beverages to be sold in their new downtown development, The City Creek Center. However, they will sell the restaurant spaces to a private developer so that the church won't be directly involved in any alcohol sales. They are not going to allow private clubs and bars to open in the new development though, liquor will only be sold through "high quality restaurant tenants".(1) Stores in the City Creek Center will be closed on Sundays, but restaurants can choose to remain open.(2)

(1)Booze Yes, Sundays No (PDF alert)
    (2)Downtown rebound: LDS Church unveils plans for 20-acre development
    Thanks for the info. A shopping center not open on a weekend day seems silly to me... that's when people are often out and about shopping and sightseeing. But, oh well. There's always Gateway.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost