Thread: Short TR - Hard Day Harvey and Good Day Jim

Short TR - Hard Day Harvey and Good Day Jim

So I figured someone who actually took pictures would pipe up before me, but no one has so I figured I'd at least give a short TR so everyone knows the conditions of HDH and GDJ. We went down these two over Spring Break while we were down at Lake Powell. HDH was pretty much dry, a couple ankle deep pools but that was it. Classic fun, really beautiful and lots of good obstacles. I love the downclimb to 90 degree turns, one while you are suspended almost 20 feet in the air and another where it turns and then you have to climb up a crack in the pothole to continue "down" canyon. Great day.

Good Day Jim was dry too. We handled the first keeper much easier than last time I was there. We all handlined into the hole instead of rapping, this left arms free for the person in the bottom to help handliners out etc... no fumbling with the rope trying to give yourself enough slack to climb out the other end. The second keeper was easily bypassed on ledges by Reed and Pete, but the Eric's decided to give it a go. That thing is NASTY! A throw from above is tough because it's a long way, a throw from the bottom is tough because it's a good 15 feet deep and slippery as shiz down there. We managed to throw a potshot over the lip after taking out so much sand that it kind of defeated the purpose. We lucked out and the knot tied to the potshot caught on a flake up top and miraculously held Eric C's weight (first attempt he slipped back into the hole, second attempt he got out). Luckily you can bypass this easily because it would increase the canyons difficulty by quite a bit if you HAD to drop in it.

Good times, lots of farting and burping around camp, great food, warm starry nights, and that fireball from hell Reed set up was right up there with torching a giant pile of tumbleweeds. It was one of those "this is what life is all about," trips!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't have a lot from the Sevenmile canyons, but I will post what I do have of the trip
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Your pretty brave if you boated all the way to Seven Mile in that little ding

We camped up Forgotten Canyon and funny you should mention that. Me and a few others who had already done HDH stayed at camp on Saturday screwing around. My buddy dared me to hop in the canoe and take it back to the marina. We had time to kill, so I did. I started out and the weight of me and 4 gallons of gas combined with the 5hp trolling motor had the bow of the canoe 3 feet out of the water. So I stopped at a rock fall and loaded 100 pounds of rocks in the front of the canoe to level it out. All I had with me was a GPS, and a two way radio to communicate with base camp. At 4.5 miles per hour and 14 miles it took me a little over 3 hours. Hard part was navigating big houseboat wakes that threatened to swamp me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    We camped up Forgotten Canyon and funny you should mention that. Me and a few others who had already done HDH stayed at camp on Saturday screwing around. My buddy dared me to hop in the canoe and take it back to the marina. We had time to kill, so I did. I started out and the weight of me and 4 gallons of gas combined with the 5hp trolling motor had the bow of the canoe 3 feet out of the water. So I stopped at a rock fall and loaded 100 pounds of rocks in the front of the canoe to level it out. All I had with me was a GPS, and a two way radio to communicate with base camp. At 4.5 miles per hour and 14 miles it took me a little over 3 hours. Hard part was navigating big houseboat wakes that threatened to swamp me.
    HAHA!! That's awesome!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.