Thread: Flow rates for Virgin Narrows

Flow rates for Virgin Narrows

Hi,

Does anyone know the upper limits of the hikeable cfs flow rate for the Virgin River NArrows? We are going to Zion in April and I have seen that currently the rate is fluctuating between 70-90 cfs.

Adrian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you are talking a through permit from the top to bottom the magic number is 120 cfs.

If you are talking hiking up from the bottom I think its whatever you can survive. Things get really difficult hiking up stream above about 200 cfs.

Everything you need to know is here:

Zion Narrows
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/narrows.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

If you are talking hiking up from the bottom I think its whatever you can survive. Things get really difficult hiking up stream above about 200 cfs.
    The day my group came out of Englestead the Narrows was running at 240 cfs. (It was a good time!) When we arrived at the paved trail, there was a ranger not allowing anyone up river. There were also at least two signs that said the narrows were closed. My thinking is that they do in fact prevent folks from going up stream when running above 120 cfs.
    Life is Good

Thanks,

I was hoping it would be o.k. to descend from Mystery. And it sounds like it will be--though I will check with NPS.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrians
    I was hoping it would be o.k. to descend from Mystery. And it sounds like it will be--though I will check with NPS.
    Mystery Canyon is the one exception to the rule.... the magic number for Mystery is 140 cfs.

You can thank the Zion Canyoneering Coalition (and a few others) for that extra 20 cfs boost.

Zion Canyoneering Coalition
    http://zioncanyoneering.org/

That is one of the positives to come from the ZCC. They lobby the park for the extra 20 cfs and got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    When we arrived at the paved trail, there was a ranger not allowing anyone up river.
    I've seen ZNP post a ranger at the end of the paved trail when flash flood potential was really high. But I have also seen hikers up stream at what I would consider big flow and no ranger.... I have also seen them post a warning sign with no ranger.... so I don't know what the official rule is for hiking from the bottom is.

All this talk of walking flow levels is very interesting.

I am curious about safe boatable flow levels? And, if during the time period when there would be enough water for a little 4 pound butt boat if the road would be open (free of snow) to access the approach to the upper Narrows route?
    From Alaska
    looking for adventures everywhere