Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate American Idol

I hate American Idol

I think they should call it 'American Puppet'. These people don't write their own songs or play instruments yet almost 30million people tune in to watch this show.
    I don't think you can call someone an artist when they have teams of people doing all the work for them. How may people to you think work for Britteny Spears? Doing her hair, makeup, working on her image, writing songs and lyrics... The mainstream music industry has gone to shit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've never even turned it on

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I've never even turned it on
    Same here. I haven't seen one episode...nor do I wish to.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    nor do I wish to.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    nor do I wish to.
    Amen
    I don't watch it but I see it on the news, websites, co-workers, a friend ect... sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I don't watch it but I see it on the news, websites, co-workers, a friend ect... sucks.
    It's amazing what people get sucked into watching Simple things for simple minds

Re: I hate American Idol

How may people to you think work for Britteny Spears? Doing her hair, makeup, working on her image, writing songs and lyrics... The mainstream music industry has gone to shit.
    I once dated someone who called pop stars like this "package jobs."

I actually don't know anyone who will admit to watching American Idol. I will say that Oklahomans went out of their way to make a big deal that Carrie Underwood won it in 2005. She is from Muskogee and Checotah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_underwood

Agree with all of you. I watched 2 minutes of it last night and wanted to puke. I think the first couple episodes are funny - when they basically get people off the street. But it gets ridiculous real fast after that.

What happened to music along the lines? The musicians / rockers of yesteryear were butt-ugly! It didn't matter what you looked like, as long as you made good stuff. Now it's completely backwards - all that matters is that you look good and someone else creates your music. I hate it. That why probably 75% of what I listen to is oldskool.
    Peace.

What is American Idol?

There was a snowstorm or something and I watched an episode this season. Then the gossip girls in the office yap about it (and the Hills?) every day burning about 3.5 hours of their work day. I know what's going on with that one chick and the topless pictures, and the skinny guy who had curly hair that made him look like a girl or something. I think there's a fat kid too.

It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    How may people to you think work for Britteny Spears? Doing her hair, makeup, working on her image, writing songs and lyrics... The mainstream music industry has gone to shit.
    I once dated someone who called pop stars like this "package jobs."

I actually don't know anyone who will admit to watching American Idol. I will say that Oklahomans went out of their way to make a big deal that Carrie Underwood won it in 2005. She is from Muskogee and Checotah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_underwood
    I watch it! My kids got me started. I think its great entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    What is American Idol?
    yeah right Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I watch it! My kids got me started. I think its great entertainment!
    Puppets... if the wrote their own songs it would be a lot better. Its music brought to you by corporate America. Should I send your kids some Pink Floyd or Zeppelin CD's ?

American Idol = Idle American

(Not sure what that means, but I thought it up on my own.)

Yeah, show me you can write a goddamn song, then I'll be impressed.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Welcome to the world of Non Heavy Metal.

My wife watches it...

My wife and kids watch it sometimes. I only liked the auditions where the freaks and geeks come in and sing and go away looking dumber than before.

As for writing their own material - take a look at country music - very rarely do they write their own - maybe roll their own - but rare to hear of anyone writing their own stuff. It's moving to where a lot do, but still - it's country.

Maybe that's why my MP3 is full of Zep, PF, Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, and the hair bands of the 80s. They may only be to play three chords, but dammmmmmnnnnn, it's an awesome three chords
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER
    They may only be to play three chords, but dammmmmmnnnnn, it's an awesome three chords
    Peace.

Yeah, metal is the only genre that writes their own stuff anymore. Not even Rappers are original! They buy their raps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Yeah, metal is the only genre that writes their own stuff anymore. Not even Rappers are original! They buy their raps too.
    You have to look more to the indie side, or "alt-county," which is just some KILLER rock and roll (check out the Drive By Truckers). I like Americana in general, bluegrass, Zep, Neil Young (one of the few people to understand the electric guitar), some of the jam bands out there..
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake