Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Colorado River Whitewater Trip!

Bogley BigShot
    Most are just lazy days on the river. I only sat out one rapid to get photos of our group. I do have a few of people I don't know though. I will post some more when I get a chance to go through them. Most cameras on the trip were ruined. I was happy all my stuff made it though!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Most cameras on the trip were ruined.
    Really? Not enough precautions were taken?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Most cameras on the trip were ruined.
    Really? Not enough precautions were taken?

Jack says it's the silt that gets to them. Most of our trip we had gorgeous green water, but once the silt hit the river and it turned brown it was hard to get off our hands. It's just plain sandy out there!

I just started reading The Very Hard Way, a biography about Bert Loper (an old time Colorado River boatsman), and now I'm itching to go run some rivers. Do you know if his "Grand Canyon" boat is still down near Mile 24 1/2 Rapid?

but once the silt hit the river and it turned brown
    don't you mean "silt hit the fan"?

Well, that sucks. Is it permanent damage to the cameras?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    I just started reading The Very Hard Way, a biography about Bert Loper (an old time Colorado River boatsman), and now I'm itching to go run some rivers. Do you know if his "Grand Canyon" boat is still down near Mile 24 1/2 Rapid?
    There was a metal boat up on the rocks at one camp/rapid, but we joined the trip at Phantom Ranch which I think is below that.

Bogley BigShot
    but once the silt hit the river and it turned brown
    don't you mean "silt hit the fan"?

Well, that sucks. Is it permanent damage to the cameras?

They don't know. They are still out on the river. If they have some good shots though, they will send them to me. Bo took a lot of hiking photos along the trip and I took mostly river shots.

Do you know if his "Grand Canyon" boat is still down near Mile 24 1/2 Rapid?
    A recent radio show I heard said that it was still there.
    Peace.

There was a metal boat up on the rocks at one camp/rapid, but we joined the trip at Phantom Ranch which I think is below that.
    That was across the river from Shinumo at Bass Camp. It was abandoned back in the 30's according to Monty? I forget the name of the pioneers that built and abandoned the Boat, but it was built similarly in design to those used by Powell? Looked more to me like "The Monitor"

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Welcome back girl! Your photos are awesome - as usual. Sounds like you've been in your element for the last 2 weeks - scenic, spectacular beauty and surrounded by men.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    Welcome back girl! Your photos are awesome - as usual. Sounds like you've been in your element for the last 2 weeks - scenic, spectacular beauty and surrounded by men.
    Ah but Savannah! We were blessed with Tanyas presence! Lest you forget (or didn't know) we all vyed for her attention. I found that we all recieved what we loved.....her presence and her quest to make this one of the best experiences yet! Her smile lit up our world!

Bogley BigShot

Yeah

I missed you!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Ah but Savannah! We were blessed with Tanyas presence! Lest you forget (or didn't know) we all vyed for her attention. I found that we all recieved what we loved.....her presence and her quest to make this one of the best experiences yet! Her smile lit up our world!

Awwwww... how sweet

We were blessed with Tanyas presence! Lest you forget (or didn't know) we all vyed for her attention.
    I just wanna know how long it took before the guys dropped the act, and started breaking wind in front of her.

We were blessed with Tanyas presence! Lest you forget (or didn't know) we all vyed for her attention.
    I just wanna know how long it took before the guys dropped the act, and started breaking wind in front of her.
    Dang Sombeech! You know the situation too well! Fortunately the beeches were either very long, or camp was set just off a rapid. Amazing how all sound is muffled! Just had to lick a finger and test for prevailing winds

A few photos
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Bogley BigShot
    Some rapid shots. I think I have one with a man falling out of a boat on a rapid, but have not ran across it yet.

Bogley BigShot
    BRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!! That had to be COLD!!!!

Falling out during a rapid

Some rapid shots. I think I have one with a man falling out of a boat on a rapid, but have not ran across it yet.
    WoW! While I was out 'dinkin' around in the desert, letting scorpions knaw at my knuckles, chasing chuckawallas, and staving off spring sheep...you were busy taking pictures, amazing at that, of the moment and capturing them forever. These are some of the BEST I have ever seen! Those pictures put me at the helm and even in the bow as I'm about to be swallowed into the depths!!!!!!!

Bogley BigShot
    WoW! While I was out 'dinkin' around in the desert, letting scorpions knaw at my knuckles, chasing chuckawallas, and staving off spring sheep...you were busy taking pictures, amazing at that, of the moment and capturing them forever. These are some of the BEST I have ever seen! Those pictures put me at the helm and even in the bow as I'm about to be swallowed into the depths!!!!!!!

Thanks! The man falling out gives me the chills!!!!