Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Colorado River Whitewater Trip!

Grand Canyon Colorado River Whitewater Trip!

Just got back tonight from 2 weeks on the River! Tanya and I joined 10 other folks at Phantom Ranch and began a SUPERB trip down the river and hiked out of Whitmore Wash this morning! Among the crew was OC Dale in his Dory and amazing campfire stories (All Lies!). Tanya had a Very, Very close call on Dubendorf, but It's best described by her! I learned about lateral waves while testing my skills in a "Duckie".....GEEZE, next time I wear a drysuit for those Dam cold Swims! Thanks Jim and Tanya for plucking my arse out of that river!
    I bet Tanya will have some great stories as soon as she washes out the dirt from her dreadlocks! Cheers......Bo[/b]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Grand Canyon Colorado River Whitewater Trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Just got back tonight from 2 weeks on the River! Tanya and I joined 10 other folks at Phantom Ranch and began a SUPERB trip down the river and hiked out of Whitmore Wash this morning! Among the crew was OC Dale in his Dory and amazing campfire stories (All Lies!). Tanya had a Very, Very close call on Dubendorf, but It's best described by her! I learned about lateral waves while testing my skills in a "Duckie".....GEEZE, next time I wear a drysuit for those Dam cold Swims! Thanks Jim and Tanya for plucking my arse out of that river!
    I bet Tanya will have some great stories as soon as she washes out the dirt from her dreadlocks! Cheers......Bo[/b]
    Great stories and Great photos! I never want to be staring at a hole that big again. Thanks to Bill for pulling me back into the boat a second before I went into that hole!

Photo: The Legend! OC! Dale O' Conner
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    Monty and Jack Tillinghast in the Lava Falls Rapid

Bogley BigShot
    Tommy and my boat buddies - Brothers Jimmy and Bill

It was 20 years ago when I floated the Colorado river. I remember lava falls and Crystal rapids. I thought that I wouldn't make it out alive. We lost a 25hp mercury motor at lava falls and popped 3 of the bladders in our pontoon in crystal rapids. Floating from Lees Ferry down is quite an experience. It is like you are in another world. Did you stop at any of the hot springs or at Phantom ranch?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    It was 20 years ago when I floated the Colorado river. I remember lava falls and Crystal rapids. I thought that I wouldn't make it out alive. We lost a 25hp mercury motor at lava falls and popped 3 of the bladders in our pontoon in crystal rapids. Floating from Lees Ferry down is quite an experience. It is like you are in another world. Did you stop at any of the hot springs or at Phantom ranch?
    The boats made a stop at Phantom. The whole trip was 30 days I believe, so there were lots of stops with places to hike. Bo headed out on most of the difficult trails that were offered. I just went to some of the easier ones. Crystal was scary, but we did a good run through that one on my boat and the group did well on it. It was that giant hole on Dubendorf that almost took me. I am not so sure I would have survived those 3 big holes if I would have fallen out of the boat. We hit the 1st hole and the wave knocked me almost out. My face was down to the water and my waist was over the boat and I was almost gone, when Bill, the other passenger drug me back in. He got me on the floor of the boat and we hit the 2nd hole. That wave hit me on the head! I wanted off the floor and got up just in time for us to hit the 3rd big hole. I was a lot more respectful of the rapids after that! I hiked on the side and took photos as the group went through Lava. Celebration Night followed! The surviving lava celebration!

Bogley BigShot
    Tom (Yellow Dog) and Bo.

Wow! Sounds like quite the trip. We're glad you made it back OK. Cool pictures.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Wow! Sounds like quite the trip. We're glad you made it back OK. Cool pictures.
    Thanks Justin. I must have 800 to 1000 photos from that 2 week trip. I have a new respect for the Grand Canyon. The river is the way to see it without a doubt!

Bogley BigShot
    Rafting photos of Bo

Bogley BigShot
    Jim dubbed this hidden Beach - Tanya's Beach

Jim and I were stranded here until a lone kayaker rescued us and sent us on our way to new territory

Bogley BigShot
    One last shot for now

Wow, fantastic photos, Tanya. I love the first shot of your beach - looks very cool. I know so little of rafting, kayaking, paddling. What a blast - going to have to look into this stuff.

Hoping for more photos! And make sure you give us a little bit of a narrative. How long a day did you spend on the river? What sort of camping did you do? How were the temps? MORE MORE MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I was a lot more respectful of the rapids after that! [/color]
    The second you lose respect for the river, IS the second you go under. The whitewater river is the most respected mother nature's force I have experienced so far.

Tanya, can't wait to read your full TR and look through 10,000 photos. I love your photos! Sounds like the trip went just like it was planned, Life threatening and adrenaline rushing

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Wow, fantastic photos, Tanya. I love the first shot of your beach - looks very cool. I know so little of rafting, kayaking, paddling. What a blast - going to have to look into this stuff.

Hoping for more photos! And make sure you give us a little bit of a narrative. How long a day did you spend on the river? What sort of camping did you do? How were the temps? MORE MORE MORE!

We could not have asked for better weather! The days were warm, but not too hot and the nights were just cool enough to enjoy a fire and sleep well. We were with a group of men that had done the river many times. Jack over 40 times, Monty over 80 times and OC over 300! A few others had done it a time or two. They were very organized! We would unload tables and gear and set up a kitchen. 2 or 3 were responsible for cooking each night and doing breakfast the next morning. Bo and I each only had to cook twice. We would break camp and be in the boats by 9am, stopping when there was a trail someone wanted to do. We would usually stop to camp about 3 or 4pm. Everyone set up their sleeping stuff and then sat around the campfire and listened to OC tell tales of the Grand Canyon and Jimmy tell jokes. Good times!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    I was a lot more respectful of the rapids after that! [/color]
    The second you lose respect for the river, IS the second you go under. The whitewater river is the most respected mother nature's force I have experienced so far.

Tanya, can't wait to read your full TR and look through 10,000 photos. I love your photos! Sounds like the trip went just like it was planned, Life threatening and adrenaline rushing
    Many of the men had turned over a few boats in their many years of doing the river. OC had only done it once, and that was on Lava. His heart was pounding all day as we approached it. The guys seemed to be into the adreneline rushing, but I enjoyed the dead water places where we just strolled through the water and enjoyed the canyon, the river and the company. We are going to write up an article for the St. George Today magazine about the trip. I think for the May issue.

Welcome back.... We missed ya

Nice photo's, I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Welcome back.... We missed ya

Nice photo's, I look forward to hearing and seeing more.
    Thanks Shane

As I trudged out of the canyon.... up that long hot trail.... I was thinking... forget hiking... boating is the way to go.

WOW what an EPIC trip.

And welcome back...when do we get to see the pictures of you?

I must have 800 to 1000 photos from that 2 week trip.
    Nice. We need some kind of "mass upload" program here. We'd love to see the rest of them.