Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Grand Canyon Colorado River Whitewater Trip!

Nice article Tanya. You are right that not too many people on this forum seem to be river rats. Too bad. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I'm off to Desolation Canyon for five days.

[quote="tanya"]Not too many of you seem to be into the river thing, but here is the article Bo and I just wrote for the Today in Dixie Magazine.
    The Trip of a Lifetime
    soitgos . . .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    It can only be because they have not done it! I never appreciated the Grand Canyon before this trip! I would have to actually put the Grand Canyon before ... my beloved ZION now!!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Nope, been on a river only a couple of years, so I am still learning the ropes My time will come, I am sure of that. Glad to live it through your picture and your story. Thanks!

I love boats and think any river trip would be a blast, but the Grand Canyon I am guessing is one of the most special of them all!

What are some other favorite river trips?

There are lots of great rivers. Yes, the GC is at the top of the list, but the Selway, the Middle Fork of the Salmon, and the Salt are right up there. Westwater Canyon has been called the best day trip in America. I think that may be true.

Steve
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by soitgos
    There are lots of great rivers. Yes, the GC is at the top of the list, but the Selway, the Middle Fork of the Salmon, and the Salt are right up there. Westwater Canyon has been called the best day trip in America. I think that may be true.

Steve
    Alex has mentioned Westwater Canyon trips. Where are all these rivers ... or at least the part of the river you usually run?

The Selway and Salmon are in Idaho. Idaho truly is the whitewater capital of the world. The Salt is in AZ. Westwater is a 17-mile section of the Colorado River, in Utah near the Colorado border.

Those are extremely famous rivers. There are others. The Bruneau and Owyhee in Idaho, the Rogue in Oregon, the Dolores and Animas in Colorado. Cataract Canyon is pretty awesome.

Ahhh . . . wonderful memories.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by soitgos
    The Selway and Salmon are in Idaho. Idaho truly is the whitewater capital of the world. The Salt is in AZ. Westwater is a 17-mile section of the Colorado River, in Utah near the Colorado border.

Those are extremely famous rivers. There are others. The Bruneau and Owyhee in Idaho, the Rogue in Oregon, the Dolores and Animas in Colorado. Cataract Canyon is pretty awesome.

Ahhh . . . wonderful memories.
    I don't think it gets better than being on a boat with no motor in a beautiful setting and fun friends along!

Do you have some non-Grand Canyon stories?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey, That's Us!

Tanya - Looks like we passed eachother on the river! I remember stopping at the Ross Wheeler and seeing you all camped there. Meeting OC and seeing his boat was cool. (I was in the process of building a similar boat myself at the time, which I have since finished and christened on Deso)

You posted some pics of our group - Andy and Dave in the "Hellgrammite" Dory and Bug rowing her Blue Achilles bucket boat

It looks like you may have used one of the pics in the article you published? We'd love to see a copy if one is available.

Thanks for a great trip report and for sharing your great pics.
    My photostream from the trip is online at Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/desiert...7594406125202/

Cheers,
    Jeremy Christensen

Re: Hey, That's Us!

Excellent photos! Welcome to the forum.

Bogley BigShot

Re: Hey, That's Us!

Quote Originally Posted by o.c.utah
    Tanya - Looks like we passed eachother on the river! I remember stopping at the Ross Wheeler and seeing you all camped there. Meeting OC and seeing his boat was cool. (I was in the process of building a similar boat myself at the time, which I have since finished and christened on Deso)

You posted some pics of our group - Andy and Dave in the "Hellgrammite" Dory and Bug rowing her Blue Achilles bucket boat

It looks like you may have used one of the pics in the article you published? We'd love to see a copy if one is available.

Thanks for a great trip report and for sharing your great pics.
    My photostream from the trip is online at Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/desiert...7594406125202/

Cheers,
    Jeremy Christensen

Wonderful photos and thanks for the compliment!

O.C. is awesome! We must have passed..... are you related to Steve Christensen?

Which of the photos is of your group?

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index37.htm
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index39.htm

I would glady put captions of who the photo are if you show me the photos and give the text to me!

The story
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/gra...yon-river-trip

The story was published in the Today in Dixie Magazine too!

Are any of the photos of your group in this thread?

No relation to Steve. Christensen is a common name hereabouts.

There are a couple pics of our crew in the thread...a couple of Dave Inskeep and Andy Stienenger (rowing) in Dave's home built red and green "Hellgrammite" dory, and a picture of Dave's wife Bug in her yellow drysuit (hardest woman on the river) oaring her blue achilles bucket boat, with Cody in the front (This is the first pic in the post with the article.) Was this picture published with the article in the Dixie mag?

Cheers, Jeremy

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by o.c.utah
    No relation to Steve. Christensen is a common name hereabouts.

There are a couple pics of our crew in the thread...a couple of Dave Inskeep and Andy Stienenger (rowing) in Dave's home built red and green "Hellgrammite" dory, and a picture of Dave's wife Bug in her yellow drysuit (hardest woman on the river) oaring her blue achilles bucket boat, with Cody in the front (This is the first pic in the post with the article.) Was this picture published with the article in the Dixie mag?

Cheers, Jeremy
    This was the one published... Jim and Bill Luginbill - they were from our group and in Lava Falls and this photo of O.C's boat, but did not have him in it. There was also a hiking shot with no humans in it.

These are your group? Not sure what you mean about article? This thread or the online photos?

This one? I am sure I can find the originals of any of the photos you want.

This one?

Yep, those are the ones.

The photo of Bug in the blue achilles was in your post on this thread where you copied the text of the article. I thought maybe the photo had been a part of the article.

I'd love to get the originals, you can send them to o.c.utah@hotmail.com.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Bogley BigShot
    I will do that!

Bogley BigShot
    They are on their way ... let me know if they don't make it.

Got them, thanks! You are the second person from another trip that I've stumbled across and received pictures from. If Only I could find the guy that took pictures of us in the Dory going through Lava. Bo's pics of OC in Lava are fantastic.