Thread: New Bike

New Bike

Hey guys I am looking for a new bike and I cant decide to go Full Suspension or not. Is it worth taking a small downgrade in components to get full suspension?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In my personal opinion you can't beat full suspension. The only way I would go with a hard tail is if I was racing. Full suspension all the way.

Note: this is only my opinion, and I don't know great detail about bikes. Goodluck

Re: New Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Hey guys I am looking for a new bike and I cant decide to go Full Suspension or not. Is it worth taking a small downgrade in components to get full suspension?
    It all depends on the type of riding you are planning to do. These days you can get a very efficient climbing bike and still benefit from full suspension; nonetheless, if you are planning on hitting trails that are pretty tame, you cant go wrong with a nice hardtail, light and climbs like a beast. The comfort you get from a full suspension bike is great for longer rides, more intense rides and for a little bum comfort on a rough downhill.

In my opinion you cant beat the comfort of a full suspension; however, you will never know what comfort you may be missing if you get a sweet hardtail and it will help you pick your line a little better and get a little more technical in your riding. I started riding a rigid, then graduated to a hardtail, and added a full suspension and was glad that I started on a hardtail due to the fact that it helped me pay attention to trail details and work on choosing a good line to ride.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I'd stick with full suspension if it will primarily be an off road bike.

Ok so what do you guys think about the bike i linked to in my first post?

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Ok so what do you guys think about the bike i linked to in my first post?
    Both look like a great bike - the price is the same - if that's your budget - go with the full suspension.

But I know very little about bikes....
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

The opinion of another admitted non-expert: I'd go full suspension no matter what. I tune the rear shock on my XC bike so tight it basically responds like a hardtail unless I'm really flying hard over the rough stuff. It rides fine whether I'm offroad or even on a paved trail. So, you can get the best of both worlds with a full suspension bike.

I recommend the full suspension. I would look into a more recognizable brand such as Specialized or Trek. They offer good warranty's and a better resale value later if you decide to upgrade.

True I am still looking but I agree I think I am going to go full suspension.

If you are on a budget and willing to buy a used bike you should check out Craigslist. I scored my 04 Bighit Spec w/ boxxer and other upgrades for $550 it needed a bit of work done but it has been well worth the price so far.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/297228690.html

Very nice I will definitely check out Craig list.

I recommend MTBR.COM check the classified adds. I searched for about 3 years daily. I found a bike and started a bidding war against a local guy. Finally I convinced the seller to hold the bike for me and that I would drive out to California to pick it up. He didn't want to break it down to ship it since he had a local guy interested in buying it. I payed 1400.00 for a bike that was worth about 5000.00.

I'd love to buy a used FS bike - but I'm 6'4 and it's tough to find an XL frame that's used
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

When you hit 6' + and over 200 # you need a good frame and shocks - you will not regret getting full suspension
    Kona makes some amazing bikes...personally, I like Kona and Rocky Mountain..either one you cant go wrong with!

rigid ftw.

you'd probably want fs though.
    gears and suspension are for old men and girls.