Thread: Drip Irrigation Issue

Drip Irrigation Issue

I set up a drip irriation system for my tomato plants last year and it worked great once I regulated the pressure down to 30 PSI. It's a simple configuration, just three spiders coming off a 3/4 inch PVC pipe with drippers (2GPH) on the ends of each line coming off the spiders.

This year, I have to turn the water supply off manually because the valve will not shut off with the timer. I don't know if the valve is screwed up or if I'm using the wrong one. If I pull the line off the back side of the valve it shuts off just fine, but it doesn't react to a slow drop in pressure.

Is there a special sort of valve for this purpose? Right now I'm using a lawn sprinkler valve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And it shut off last year with the timer? What model of valve do you have?

Is it possible that the valve is shutting off, but the excess water is still draining? Usually in these drip and misting systems, you'll shut the valve, but there is still water pressure that needs to bleed out.

I love drip irrigation! what a time and water saver.
    I bet the electric valve is toast. just pull it apart, clean the spider webs or wasp nest out and it might work. They make diaphragm kits for most valves too if it needs. It should be able to handle more than 30 psi as well.

There is a special valve for it - my uncle tried to talk me into a garden and the valve - his cost - was around $100-150.

I don't remember the fancy name of it - but I'm sure you can find it - if you want to spend the $$
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    And it shut off last year with the timer? What model of valve do you have?
    Last year it worked perfectly. It was nice not having to remember when to water. Anyway, the valve is a 1 inch electric Hunter PGV101JTM.
    Is it possible that the valve is shutting off, but the excess water is still draining?
    I checked it again to see, and it was still running 30 minutes after shut-off. I'll switch it with one of the valves I use for the sprinklers to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I love drip irrigation! what a time and water saver.
    I bet the electric valve is toast. just pull it apart, clean the spider webs or wasp nest out and it might work. They make diaphragm kits for most valves too if it needs. It should be able to handle more than 30 psi as well.
    Ill try that too, thanks for the advice. It's was the drippers that didn't like the 30+psi, they would pop off the ends of the lines or not let water through at high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER
    There is a special valve for it - my uncle tried to talk me into a garden and the valve - his cost - was around $100-150.

I don't remember the fancy name of it - but I'm sure you can find it - if you want to spend the $$
    Nothing personal, but I like your answer the least! But if I need to buy a special valve to keep it automatic, then I'll do it. I enjoy the hell out of playing with irrigation systems anyway, and hobbies tend to eat up the funds.