Thread: GPS advice anyone?

GPS advice anyone?

I'm looking at handheld GPS units, and kind of like what the Garmin GPSMAP 76S has to offer. I need it to have an altimeter and the capability to handle marine maps as well as topo. Color is not a must-have.

Any suggestions? I liked the Garmin on my boat, but have no sense of what else might be better.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just got word that the Garmin Emap is available for $60 at Sports Authority.

Rev- If you tell me what you are looking to spend, I can probably find you the unit with the most bang for your buck. If you don't really care than my two recommendations are the:

Rino 530

60csx

I have the Rino 530 and I love it! But I hear great things about the 60csx. They are just about equal in price.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

P.S. If you cllick on:

Rino 530

60csx

They will take you to their pages.

DiscGo;

I'm looking to spend between $200 and 400. I appreciate your help -- especially since it's your fault I'm doing this! I want in on the geocaching game...

-- Wm Blake

Rev- If you are willing to pay the $400 than I'd say get the 60csx.

You should be able to pick one up for about 350 after shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60...QQcmdZViewItem

My recommendation after that is that you spend an additional 120 after that sometime (I would recommend sooner than later) and get Garmin City Navigator V8. You don't have to have the maps to geocache but the GPS unit is a lot more helpful with the maps than without them.
    Here is just a normal eBay listing I found for it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GARMIN-MAPSO...QQcmdZViewItem

Now you are free to continue doing your own research and shopping selection. This is obviously just my advice. But the 60csx with the Map Source maps is just about the best set up that you are going to get.

If you want to tone things down a bit, let me know and I can still help you select a great unit for a more affordable price if you'd like.

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista. I love it. It got dropped and cracked the screen, which is after the one year warranty, and they told me they would fix it, as well as the click stick which isn't working, for $125.

I had gift certificates from work, and bought a Garmin 60csx.

Software for the mapping is pricey, ($99 last I looked)

I have had the 60csx for a week, and haven't used it too much, but the bit I have for geocaching, has worked well.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Garmin 60cs

I've had the Garmin 60cs for a few years now and love it. I have all of the mapsource CD's and it's great to enter the points off of a site like Shanes, then trnasfer them to you device with proximity warnings. Absolutely fantastic.

PS Don't buy the Mapsource CD's just shoot me an e-mail and i'll make you a 'backup copy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    DiscGo;

I'm looking to spend between $200 and 400. I appreciate your help -- especially since it's your fault I'm doing this! I want in on the geocaching game...
    I think you will love the Geocaching game it is way addicting. If you have any questions please ask.

BTW I bought the Garmin VISTRA CX and Love it. It is a great little unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I just got word that the Garmin Emap is available for $60 at Sports Authority.
    I can confirm this one of the Guys at work just bought one.

Re: Garmin 60cs

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc

Don't buy the Mapsource CD's just shoot me an e-mail and i'll make you a 'backup copy'.

I'm all for open source, but Garmin has one of the tightest security / anti-piracy system of which I am aware. They only allow you to use 2 GPS units on the same software. I have tried a lot of ways around this, and have been unsuccessful (and this is usually my area). If you have a way around this, I want in!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers

Don't buy the Mapsource CD's just shoot me an e-mail and i'll make you a 'backup copy'.

I'm all for open source, but Garmin has one of the tightest security / anti-piracy system of which I am aware. They only allow you to use 2 GPS units on the same software. I have tried a lot of ways around this, and have been unsuccessful (and this is usually my area). If you have a way around this, I want in!
    I know somehow you can because I have a copy of ver 6.11 that I got from somebody elses copy. Which only covers the western US

I started with Version 7. Maybe that is when their protection became better.

I know my National Geographic TOPO CDs are a lot easier to share.

Sounds like everyone likes Garmin. You've given me a lot of options to consdier.

Thanks fellers.

-- Wm Blake

Another vote for Garmin, I've got the 60Cx and like it alot. Good luck with your purchase.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers

Wow. That's 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. And, that rapper dances like a arthritic white guy.

To each his own. I'm downloading that rap song right now.