Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: southern utah

southern utah

over the summer i worked on a little project i had been thinking about while poring over maps for the past 15 years. although i originally conceived of something done by hand, i realized this medium is ideally suited. i had a lot of fun putting it together and i thought it might be of interest to the community. it's essentially a large map of southern utah with many canyons and a number of features labeled. i will continue to add to this over time.

it's a relatively small image (6MB) with a high pixel count, but will be laborious to download without highspeed internet. many browsers are set to fit the image to the browser window. you should be able to click on a certain region, to view that region of the image at the proper resolution. you then can scroll across the entire image relatively rapidly --- OR zoom back out and click on a different region to zoom back in. it takes a moment to download the 6MB of data to your browser, but then should view/scroll rapidly thereafter. this map will be linked in the beta section of the Canyoneering Links page for future reference.

enjoy
    cyns of southern utah map

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's pretty sweet.

Another idea you may want to try is doing overlays for Google Maps or Google Earth. That way you can attach beta about each landmark.

Wow! Very cool!

Just one correction: you misspelled my town - "Monitcello"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Sweet.... I now have a 24x36 color map of Southern Utah hanging on my wall. The advantage of having large format plotters

One suggestion.... Slide the title inside the left edge of the map and crop off the un-used white on the left side. This will allow the map to print to a larger scale.

Really a nice map

Re: southern utah

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    over the summer i worked on a little project i had been thinking about while poring over maps for the past 15 years.
    Excellent map! Thanks, stefan. I'll be studying that for a while.

Nice job stefan. What is "Grotto Canyon" listed in the northern Swell, east of Cedar Mountain? Is that another name for Lost Spring Wash? I've been meaning to check out that area (Lost Spring & Big Hole Wash)--it's on my to-do list within the next few months.

thanks guys! glad you like it.

btw, i welcome any suggestions. there are some areas i haven't gotten to yet, like the kaiparowits ... i kinda like it blank at the moment. i just don't want it to get too busy.

thanks rock, i'll fix that ...

shane, good idea. i'll reformat that on the next go.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    That's pretty sweet.

Another idea you may want to try is doing overlays for Google Maps or Google Earth. That way you can attach beta about each landmark.
    I actually started plotting points for hikes/canyons on Google Earth with links to beta. I started it a long time ago and never have time to update it but I think I have most of climb-utah's stuff, canyoneering usa's, and I even got through Kelsey's Tech book listing what page each canyon is on. I'm at work now but maybe I'll post it when I'm home, it helps me plan trips, shows everything in the area. I'll probably have to get permission from Shane for some of them, they link to his non-circle of friends pages, but they give away the location of some of the canyons and ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I'll probably have to get permission from Shane for some of them, they link to his non-circle of friends pages, but they give away the location of some of the canyons and ruins.
    Hmmmm.... might have to think about this. One of the major reasons behind the CoF was to create a riff-raff filter. The CoF allows new areas to be introduced slowly so they filter into the community and do not create a massive land rush. At the very least I would recommend such a list be placed in the uutah members only area.

Before starting the CoF whenever a new canyon was introduced it would suffer major impact from everyone rushing to do the latest and greatest. The CoF greatly reduced this problem. This is also the major reason I do not believe in publishing a top ten list or ranking canyons and routes.

That's wicked cool.

I would vote for putting your other map in the CoF Member's Area. That would be awesome - Even just as a wall hanging.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Man, that map is awesome. Nice work on it. Where did you get all the aerials? The details are phenomenal.

Personally, I've been working on a google earth map with linked beta, but I've only worked on about 10 canyons near Escalante, and I figure it will take some serious time to really make it worth my time. If someone is farther along than I, I'd be stoked to get my hands on it. Perhaps we can add it to the CoF site, or even make it so we can all contribute to it and occasionally update it.

BTW, I just found this site through climb-utah, and I am stoked to get on board. Glad to be here.

Dan

Welcome! This site, combined with Climb-Utah is like a Kelsey Guidebook on Steroids. Nothing better.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Kewlness!! Nice werk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    Nice job stefan. What is "Grotto Canyon" listed in the northern Swell, east of Cedar Mountain? Is that another name for Lost Spring Wash? I've been meaning to check out that area (Lost Spring & Big Hole Wash)--it's on my to-do list within the next few months.
    hey, thanks.

so grotto is a short unnamed canyon north of cottonwood wash and south of big hole wash and east of lost spring wash. it's one of steve allen's hikes and his name for the canyon.

wow stefan, awesome job thank you so much. Now I can print it and shove it into my cooworkers noses and show them how big of the geeks they are living in Utah and not knowing what's down below. Thanks a bunch!

PS: If you need me to mirror the image for bandwidth issues, let me know.
    PSS: Can we stick this post in All about uutah?

Wow! It's exciting to look at a map/photo like this and see all the places in Utah I am starting to get to know.

I also thought it was cool/funny to see how bright the settling ponds east of Dead Horse Point appear. Abby and I saw and photographed them from Hatch Point last year.

Nice piece of work. I'll be studying it for a while.

One more suggestion.... make the background color something other then white. it will look better when made into a large print or poster. I prefer Black or grey as a neutral color that looks good about anywhere.

I'm not sure of what copyright laws (if any) exist, but places like Walmart will make a photo quality poster size print for about $20.

And I think Shaggy's Google Earth map idea is really sweet..... I'm willing to work with him in regards to my stuff to make such a map available.