Thread: Dodge Dakota - opinions?

Dodge Dakota - opinions?

I've pretty much got my Toyota Tacoma sold, and I'm looking at Quad Cab Dodge Dakotas, years 2000 & 2001. They're priced between $10k - $12k.

What do you guys think? I'm looking at a V8 5.9L engine, which I believe is 245 HP.

All I need is something that will tow a boat, and 4 guys & gear on road trips.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wait until Scotty P see this thread

I own a rent to own car business (blah) and two of my trucks are Dodge Dakota's - not the 4WD type. Anyhow, these folks tend to beat the crap out of stuff to the point of no return. However, the Dakota's take a beating and keep running - somehow.
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

I bought my '96 club cab 4x4 used back in '98 and it is still running strong almost 180k later. Minus the crappy chrysler paint job! Actually drove it from CA to Maine then back to CA this summer and still averaged about 19 mpg with the V6. Things have broken - so it is no Toyota or anything. Probably about 3k worth of repairs over the last 9 yrs I would say. Water pump, clutch (at 165k), rear diff, steering parts, transfer case, etc. It is the older body style by the way...not to sure if I like the newer ones. That is about it I guess.

Beau

Beech -- dunno how big your war chest is for this project, but I'd try and find a first generation Dodge Cummins.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Re: Dodge Dakota - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    What do you guys think?
    As long as it doesn't try and kill you, you should be all set

I think I'm gonna go for it. I'd go full size (for the same price!) but I want to be able to park the damned thing. Each time I see somebody doing a 5 point rotation so they can park in the slot.....

Plus, gas mileage is better. It's still got 8 cylinders, so probably more power than I'll need.

...and I don't want to shut the truck off so my McDonald's order can be heard at the drive thru.

go diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    but I want to be able to park the damned thing
    That would be the difference between coil springs and leafs. Coil springs allow for a better turning radius than that of the leafs. Full-sized Dooge's have had coil springs for sometime and Ferds just switched over to them

Well, I test drove this Dakota last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. It had the full size power with the V8 5.9L and drove like a car.

I found out it's the same engine they put in the full sized 1500s.

I think I'm gonna nab it, at just under $11k.

Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck with the Dooge, I'm sure it won't kill ya

Wait until Scotty P see this thread
    Yeah. What's wrong with you Sombeech, trading in a Toyota for a Dodge. I should come up there and smack you around a bit.

What do you guys think? I'm looking at a V8 5.9L engine, which I believe is 245 HP.
    Wow! 245 HP from a 5.9 V8. Never mind Nissan Frontier V-6 has 261 HP and the Tacoma V-6 has 236 HP and the and both get a lot better gas milage.

OK, enough Dodge bashing. They may really be out to get me if I continue doing it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Yeah. What's wrong with you Sombeech, trading in a Toyota for a Dodge. I should come up there and smack you around a bit.
    Well, I pretty much just go the opposite direction that you suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Wow! 245 HP from a 5.9 V8. Never mind Nissan Frontier V-6 has 261 HP and the Tacoma V-6 has 236 HP and the and both get a lot better gas milage.
    You got a quote for that info? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

But I may be wrong on my info. That would really suck if I had less HP with a V8 than the Nissan's V6.

Well, I pretty much just go the opposite direction that you suggest.
    In that case, I must say that Dodge is a very fine vehicle and you should by one.

You got a quote for that info? That would really suck if I had less HP with a V8 than the Nissan's V6.
    Sure, I'll provide a quote for the Nissan. How about two? :

http://www.nissanusa.com/frontier/sp...ions_king.html

http://autos.yahoo.com/nissan_truck_...IFT3g2dBa7IsYF

Actually though, the Frontier is supposed to be a good vehicle, but supposedly the Nissan Titan is very trouble prone.

Anyway, have fun with your Dodge. I don't like them, but that's my personal choice and you are free to make your own choice .
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

If I had a Nissan Frontier I'd shave it's tailgate and teach it drive backwards. That's one woofer of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    If I had a Nissan Frontier I'd shave it's tailgate and teach it drive backwards. That's one woofer of a truck.