Thread: A Story for Udink

A Story for Udink

Utah Man's License Plate Is 'Too Intoxicating'

SALT LAKE CITY - Of course it is illegal to drink merlot while driving in the state of Utah. But apparently, it is also illegal to drive with it on your license plate.

Glenn Eurick's 1996 Mercedes has had the license plate reading "merlot" for 10 years. He says the plate never became a problem until the Utah Tax Commission told him last week that he had to remove it because the state doesn't allow intoxicant words to be used on vanity plates.

So six or seven-letter words like liquor or whiskey probably wouldn't make it through the state screening process before the plates are issued. But merlot did and Eurick was fine until an anonymous caller told the state that merlot was also an alcoholic beverage.

Eurick's car with the offending plate is dark red, like the wine. He said few people who asked about the plate made the
    connection, other than one man when Eurick stopped for gas in Green River.

"He asked us if we chose merlot because there were too many letters in cabernet sauvignon," Eurick said.

Eurick said he will challenge the state's decision.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maybe "Udink" is a type of alcohol and that is why they wouldn't allow you to have your own last name as your custom plate.

okay it's official ... the state of utah is losing it.

my gawd ... stout and porter are types of beer, will i be barred from using those terms too? merlot is a grape anyhow, what ... are we soon going to be banning the terms grain, hops, barley, rice, apple, peach, pears, sugar ... just because we can ferment them and turn them into alcohol.

someone needs get off the power trip here

A friend of mine sent me a link to this story on ABC4's website a couple days ago. I get people sending me all kinds of stuff to do with Utah license plates. Check out this picture that somebody sent me a while back:

Apparently it's easy to slip one past the Tax Commission, but I just happened to be unlucky. The next vehicle I get, I'm going to apply for UXXXX (with the "offensive" part of my name removed), but I seriously believe that they'll reject that as well. You just can't please 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    banning the terms grain, hops, barley, rice, apple, peach, pears, sugar ... just because we can ferment them and turn them into alcohol.
    We could also ban "potato" but that my start a civil war with Idaho.

At one time I had a Hot Rod with the plates 1FASTMF.

My plate reads: PARIAH.

Go figure!
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake