Thread: What to wear on my feet

What to wear on my feet

Hello all.

I have two trips to Utah planned. The first in May will include a backpack through Buckskin Gulch, a day hike to The Wave and some yet to be determined hikes.

In September I'll be hiking in Bryce and Zion including a overnight to Kolob Arch and a dayhike in the Narrows. We will also be hiking in the Pine Valley area, probably ascending Signal Peak.

I'm used to hiking in the muddy, rocky, rooty Adirondacks. I'm thinking that my usual heavy, gortex, metal shank, leather backpacking boots will be overkill and I'm looking to get something new.

So what does evryone wear on their feet while hiking these areas? I'm thinking of these: http://www.salomonoutdoor.com/us/pro...757&currItem=3. Or maybe just trailrunners?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Try to get a shoe that doesn't have leather for canyon hikes that require wading.

I just use running shoes, but some others like more support.

The key is light weight and no leather.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

For backpacking trips I always wear gortex with ankle support. For day hikes I just put on my Tevas.

Welcome to Utah!

Welcome to the site. It is really helpful for planning your Utah trips.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Read this:

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

I think you will find some of it useful for Buckskin and The Narrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Try to get a shoe that doesn't have leather for canyon hikes that require wading.

I just use running shoes, but some others like more support.

The key is light weight and no leather.
    Very true. I did wear leather approach shoes for most of my trip down Buckskin and Paria - lots of wading. The approach shoes were old and the uppers were worn out (holes & so on) which is why I didn't mind trashing the leather on them. I had already replaced these shoes, and since they were very comfortable, nicely worn in, I figured using them would be good for my feet.

I wore my leather backpacking boots further down the canyon where there was less crossing of the river, and they were fine.

The best things in the world, I found, were the neoprene socks I wore. Really helped in the cold water, and excellent padding for the shoes for long days. For something so cheap ($7.50 - Canadian!) they were really worth it, to me.

I wear shoes while hiking. Going barefoot is asking for trouble.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'd also recommend trail or road running shoes. You'll encounter sand trails in the Kolob area and probably here and there enroute to the Wave or Buckskin. I've never figured how to keep it out. Just periodically stop, air out the feet, shake out the socks and shoes.

If you're inclined to hike with trekking poles, bring 'em along as they will come in handy in the Narrows.

P.S. I love chacos for most everything.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I'm glad this question comes up from time-to-time on this site. I'm also in the market for some new hiking shoes, but don't know what to get. My only real concern is durability. I've been buying Hi-Tec shoes for the last couple of years (because they were on sale at Big-5), but they wear out way too fast. Now, I'm ready to buy whatever will last the longest, at whatever price.

Does anybody have any specific brands that they've had success with as far as durability?

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    If you're inclined to hike with trekking poles, bring 'em along as they will come in handy in the Narrows.
    I liked using the walking stick I rented (with the 5.10 Canyoneers and dry pants) from the Zion Adventure folks. They say (well, they would, wouldn't they?) that trekking poles are easily bent or otherwise damaged in the rocky riverbed, and that wouldn't surprise me at all.

My kids found me a great stick for canyon strolls, recently. Just need to trim the length a little, and take a spokeshave to it, and it will be perfect. When I figure out how to take it on a flight I'll be all set...

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    Does anybody have any specific brands that they've had success with as far as durability?
    Well, boots rather than shoes, but my Merrell hiking boots lasted me for years. Finally had to give them up because my feet have become - well - nasty. (Bone spurs and so on. Some of the joints are becoming very large and no longer fit in these boots.)

The shoes I hiked in for the last 3 years (since the Merrells stopped fitting) did really well. They were Columbia "Chasm" shoes - available in Canada, but I don't see them on the Columbia website. I did a lot of both hiking and serious backpacking in these shoes. Low, so no ankle support to speak of, but I had no problem carrying a 50+ pound pack around on rocky, rooty trails. Abused them a lot, and they've always done well. The stitching is finally giving way here & there, but I've certainly got my money's worth out of them.

I finally replaced my boots last fall with a pair of Meindl "Island Pro MFS wide" boots from Germany. Members of the Meindl family have been making shoes since 1683 (11 generations), though the company wasn't started until 1928. The boots were a big investment, but I'm really impressed with them so far. Comfortable from the very beginning, and really high quality craftsmanship.

Their website: http://www.meindl.de/english/

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Thanks for the recommendation. They've even got a shoe called the "Utah." Just my style.

+1 for Chaco boots.
    "I am convinced that adrenaline is an essential nutrient and that we take risks not to escape life but rather to prevent life from escaping us"

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I'm glad this question comes up from time-to-time on this site. I'm also in the market for some new hiking shoes, but don't know what to get. My only real concern is durability. I've been buying Hi-Tec shoes for the last couple of years (because they were on sale at Big-5), but they wear out way too fast. Now, I'm ready to buy whatever will last the longest, at whatever price.

i won't get into brands, i used to use raichle (palue sa) which were good.

yeah, i'd classify 3 types of hiking shoes.

1. is a large class and ranges from trail running, lightweight hiking and approach shoes to sneakers and the like.

2. hiking boots that are a mix of leather and some sort of breatheable material

3. solid leather hiking boots.

if you want serious durability, i'd recommend going with the solid leather, in particular one with harder rather than softer leather (sort of old-school mountaineering boot). these often come with a 3/4 shank which needs to be broken in and can be hard on the foot in the process, BUT the point of it is to distribute the pressure over your foot. often these can be resoled and can last a long time. the last pair i had lasted 7 years before i retired them from hiking. now i just use them for car travel before and after i go skiing since they're great in the snow.

another thing to keep in mind is that the leather we use today isn't as good as it was in the old days. some folks used to breed cows specifically for leather where the cows sit on the range for a long time, letting the sun/weather do its thing on the leather. however, those days are gone for the most part (i've talked to people in the shoe making/cobble business) ... so the bottom line is that instead of having your boots last something on the order of 30 years, you're lucky if they last over 5-8 years. i know a couple of cobblers which are still getting 20-30 year old shoes coming in for repairs ... impressive!

another thing to keep in mind is to treat the leather. there are various theories depending on whom you talk to, BUT when leather starts to crack, especially at creases, this can lead to serious wear on the boot. treating the leather (obvious thing is to clean it regularly, but there are additional treatments) will help it to last longer.

with all of that being said. i have moved away from these solid leather boots to something that is very lightweight. for backpacking and hiking i use the La Sportiva Exum Ridge. it's the most comfortable maneuverable shoe i have ever worn and i can wade in it and it feels as it does dry. it's not durable inthe long term, so this goes against your interests. i have backpacked long distances with them with weight and they worked great for me.

it's just two different approaches. i think you have much better maneuverability with these light weight pliable shoes, but you have more support, more durability, and more protection from the elements in the solid leather boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    I wear shoes while hiking. Going barefoot is asking for trouble.
    I have a buddy who I hike with a few times a year that always hikes barefoot.
    I have seen him do Provo Peak, Upper Eardley Canyon, Maple Canyon Loop, and Squaw Peak. I know he has done a lot more then that. He brings some flip-flops just in case there is snow.