Thread: Photos, Lower Antelope Canyon

Photos, Lower Antelope Canyon

I don't know where these should go. It's not "Canyoneering", it's not "Hiking", it's not even in Utah....but, I wanted to share a few with you.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Woah, where is this at? AZ?

Great pics. We went there last Fall and had lots of fun. Except there had been some flooding several days earlier and so they closed the bottom part of the canyon. We had to enter and exit the same way. Were you able to go out the official exit?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Suh-weet! Excellent photos, Stan. I've been seeing photos of this place for years, and it still totally speaks to me. One day I'll get there!

Great photos!! I think I might have to look into this place.

this is the first time I've seen a picture of the ladder that's in there. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess that they want to give access to as many people as possible to make as much money as they can. It's the American Indian's land anyways, right?
    Peace.

Our local paper ran a contest asking people to submit pictures of the places where they read the paper. We submitted this picture in Lower Antelope (not that great of a pic IMO) and the printed it on the front page (covering more than half the page) in their year end edition.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Oh the horror that is "THE LADDER"

dillweed, the ladders (et al) are their response of action following the deaths of 11 people during a flash flood in 97'. there are also drop down metal rope ladders, located at the top of the canyon, that can be used to assist in a food scenario.

navajo land

The ladders were in the canyon BEFORE the flash flood that killed the visitors. The ladders were installed so that the canyon would be accessible to camera toting tourists with fat wallets. The Antelope ladders are my standard reply when someone tells me canyons should be bolted.... my reply is why stop at bolts when we can install ladders.

Since the flash flood the Injuns have installed big boxes located all along the rim with rope type ladders that they can quickly toss over the canyon rim to assist folks out.

I'm happy I got to canyoneer Antelope before it became a tourist attraction complete with ladders. One of the highlights to any Powell trip in the "good ol' days" was to be dropped off at the head of Antelope and canyoneer down to the boats carrying cold beer waiting on the lake.

Didn't intend to open a can of worms about ladders in Antelope Canyon. Seems it is a sore spot with some. For me and many others, it couldn't be done otherwise. I don't know when the stairs went in, I've heard both versions, or why. Obviously, the land owner wants an income from his property and I have no objection. Only governments can afford to keep such land available for only a very few.

Anyway, to answer the questions, Lower (and Upper) Antelope is just outside Page, AZ on Navajo land. Upper can only be seen with a guide. Lower gives you a choice. We go without a guide, thank you, and stay a couple hours. Both trips, I have walked to the north end (exit) and descended via the stairs, about 75 feet I'd guess. Then I go toward the entrance.
    Stan

Sorry. Duplicate post.
    Stan

Stan, some of the best pictures of Antelope I've seen.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

That is a great compliment coming from Win.

I also those these were awesome pictures!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

those are awesome pics. I will have to check this canyon you one of these trips to powell
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Didn't intend to open a can of worms about ladders in Antelope Canyon.
    Not really a can of worms.... but the ladders are kind of a sore spot with me..... something along the lines of sleeping with Angelina Jolie without having to buy her dinner first....

Your pics are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ..... something along the lines of sleeping with Angelina Jolie without having to buy her dinner first....

Yeah, I can see where you would find that offensive. I always turned Liz Taylor down for the same reason.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ..... something along the lines of sleeping with Angelina Jolie without having to buy her dinner first....

Yeah, I can see where you would find that offensive. I always turned Liz Taylor down for the same reason.

Nice pics! We're heading down there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    We're heading down there this weekend.
    I wanted to try Waterholes Canyon while there, but we ran out of time. Hope you have a good visit.
    Stan