Thread: Tech Talk - HDMI, DVI, and Component

Tech Talk - HDMI, DVI, and Component

All three are video cable formats. Two are digital, one is analog, and one carries audio as well as video. Do you know the differences?

Component - This is the cable that carries an analog signal. The signal is divided up into three signals. They can be labeled as RGB, YCrCb, YPrPb, and some others but those are the most common. Each signal is carried on it's own seperate cable thus a component signal has three seperate cables. Component can carry every video resolution. Because component video is an analog signal it can be run for very long distances.

DVI - DVI is one of the two digital video cables. It can also carry all video resolutions. It is only one cable and has a large connector which there are several different types of connectors. The shape of the connector is the same for all, the difference is in the number of pins in the connector. DVI can be converted to HDMI with only a simple DVI to HDMI converter. Since it is a digital signal it is recommend that cable lengths do not exceed 50'. If you need more length that that there are expensive converters that convert the signal so that it can be carried over cat5.

HDMI - This is the second type of digital video cable, it is also the one that can carry and audio signal. It was developed to simplify the connections necessary for video and audio. It will carry all video resolutions and once HDMI 1.3 is available on consumer equipment it will also carry HD audio signals which is a full 8 channels of audio at a high resolution signal, it currently will only carry 5.1 and I believe 6.1 signals as well. Once again it's only recommended up to 50' and is interchangeable with DVI however the audio will not be transmitted once converted to DVI.

It appears that HDMI is the true winner between the 3 formats. Once one digs a little deeper it is apparent that there are some problems with HDMI. Digital signals are equipped with a protection called HDCP. All displayed that have an HDMI input are required to accept and HDCP encrypted signal, however that does not mean every signal can be displayed on a HDMI display. There are instances where HDCP prevents some material from being veiwed. There is also another problem with HDMI. There is another protection that comes with 1080p material which will prevent recording the material. All this protection crap also applies to DVI. For the most part all this won't be much of an issue.

With component however there is no protection crap associated with it. You can do whatever you want with a component signal with two exeptions. The first one is this. Even though component is able to carry a 1080p signal all HD DVD and Blue Ray material can only be veiwed through HDMI. No biggie if you ask me, 1080p is overrated anyway, so just watch everything in 1080i or 720p over component. That's what I'd do, at least for now. The second draw back is audio cannont be carried over component. Once again no biggie for me, it's only one more cable to carry a digital audio signal.

As for know I run everything over component, that is until HDMI can get it together and clean up all the bugs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is interesting. Thanks. I just bought a HDMI cable for my 360, and I'm not a little less excited about it, but I do feel more informed.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Do you know anything about setting up PC (DVI output) to a TV (HDMI input)?
    I currently have it connected with S-Video cables I had set up and wired before i upgraded to a HDTV. But I want better quality without spending $600 on a video card with a HDMI output.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    That is interesting. Thanks. I just bought a HDMI cable for my 360, and I'm not a little less excited about it, but I do feel more informed.
    For the 360? Is it a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Do you know anything about setting up PC (DVI output) to a TV (HDMI input)?
    I currently have it connected with S-Video cables I had set up and wired before i upgraded to a HDTV. But I want better quality without spending $600 on a video card with a HDMI output.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    You'll need a DVI to HDMI cable or a HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI converter. Since they are both digital video they convert over very easily. You may have to play around with the resolution and aspect ratios.

I'm not a gamer but I believe the 360 is capable of 1080p if you get an upgrade for it. You can also get a HD DVD upgrade as well. I've heard you can play the games in 1080p with component since the games don't have HDCP, but HDMI will work as well.

No I bought it on eBay for 15 bucks.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

ug..

HDMI to HDMI Cable, 30 ft. US$199.00

DVI to HDMI Cable 30 ft (M-M): $178.95

I have also heard there are a lot of config issues with some video cards running HDMI to HD tv.

What would you suggest, I guess I could keep running the S-video it looks ok... I only use it for downloaded movies and TV shows.

ug..

HDMI to HDMI Cable, 30 ft. US$199.00

DVI to HDMI Cable 30 ft (M-M): $178.95

I have also heard there are a lot of config issues with some video cards running HDMI to HD tv.

What would you suggest, I guess I could keep running the S-video it looks ok... I only use it for downloaded movies and TV shows.
    Yep, with all the hype those HDMI/DVI cables get expensive at long lengths. I've heard quite a few different issues with HDMI in general. I suggest buying the cable and if you have problems just take it back. Have you checked online wire/cable stores? You can usually find better prices but returning them could be a hassle.

Another thing you could try is your VGA output if you have one. You'd need a VGA to component breakout cable which aren't that expensive the last time I picked one up which was about $20. Then you just hook it up component and enjoy those movies in a higher resolution. I think you're cheating yourself if you continue to use s-video but I understand the dilema if you have to shell out $200 for a cable.

One more thing. Monster cable is a rip off if you have been looking at them. Digital cables are quite simple and there isn't much of a quality difference in the expensive cables and the cheap ones. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the "Super Duper Best Quality Jack the Price Up" cables. The same goes for audio, composite video, and component video. Don't buy the expensive stuff. Just make sure it's rated at 75 ohms. I can also make any cables besides HDMI, DVI, and S-Video at custom lengths for a much better price. I can make them for 50 cents a foot plus $5 each cable. A 30' cable would be $20. At cablestogo.com a cheap (the kind that come free with some equipment and the kind I would never buy) 25' cable is $18, the next step up is 25' for $30 and then 25' for $31. A digital audio cable gets even worse which is the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    I think you're cheating yourself if you continue to use s-video but I understand the dilema if you have to shell out $200 for a cable.
    Well I am watching prirated movies so they are not always the best of quality so i am really trying to justify getting all new cables. I like to watch photo slide shows on my TV and I have been using my Xbox360. I can stream Pics and Music from my PC via my LAN and they look MUCH better over ethernet then on the S-video also i can use the controller as a remote. The only problem is that my OS is XPpro and there are streaming video restrictions. If I install MediaCenter I can stream videos with out setting up cables.
    Discgo, are you streaming vids to your 360? If so what OS are you streaming from?
    I am thinking I can just build a cheep computer with winders media with a huge hard drive for just a few more bucks the cables and new video card.

Thanks for all the info Itchys