Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projector for a home theater?

Projector for a home theater?

So I am thinking about getting a projector for a home entertainment system. I was told they are better now than Plasma or LCD TVs. I don't know anything about them. So does anyone have any experience with one. What are the pros/cons. What should I look for when I am buying one, etc?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My brother has a projector for his, and although I love his huge screen, I would recommend against it. If the lights are off, it looks good. But if the lights are on, you can barely see it.

Of course my brother used "Screen Goo" on the wall, instead of a projector screen. I'm sure that makes a big difference.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I know there are difference between cheapo computer projectors and media entertainment projectors, I guess they output more light. Do you know the model and year of the projector your brother has?

I can find out. He bought it last year (and paid around $2000 for it) instead of a TV because he had heard it was great. I think he still likes it, I just prefer the normal screen.

My friend's parents just bought a nice projector and they have a nice screen, and in the dark it looks much better than my brother's or than a normal TV but it is not quite as good with the lights on.

Icthys is the man you need to talk to. That's what he does for a living.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I checked out all the different systems a couple months ago and I finally ending up buying a 50" Plasma. I have been extremely happy with it and feel it was the best choice for my situation and intended use.

I have a home theater room and use a projector. I went with a Hitachi LCD and I think it was around $3000.00. If you're going to use a projector you do need to have the room dark, think movie theater. The screen is important, too, and depending on who you talk to can run alot of $$$$. I've got a 120" diagonal screen.

I shopped three vendors before I purchased and all had different opinions and very different pricing. Be careful.

The bulb in the projector will need to be replaced occasionaly and that will run about $200.00 from what I've seen. I got a warning to replace my bulb six months ago and it's still going strong.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

My brother paid full retail price for his projector. I looked around a week later and found the same projector for a lot less.

Make sure that what ever you decide that you are patient and do your homework.

Maybe after you decide what model you are going to go with, you should tell us and we can have a competition to find the best price for it online. I'm usually a pretty good Internet shopper.

Are we talking projector

or Projection TV?

I think we are talking "projector"

I am talking about mounted projectors, NOT TV. Thanks for the clarification. DiscGo thanks for the offer man! Things like that I usually like to buy at Costco, so if I am not happy I can simply return it with no hassle.

This is the one I am thinking about: http://tinyurl.com/yokq2f

Itchy replied to me via PM and gave me more info for my research. I guess the best way to find out how good they are is to try it yourself.

The way my room is downstairs either I get a TV or a projector, I will still need to use my already installed 0 light shades on the windows. It blocks most of the light and works quite well. My entertainment room is facing the sunny windows, so if I got a TV the reflection would be just as bad.

Thanks for the input guys!

You can buy the projectors that work well in the lit up rooms as well.

You'll be looking for resolution clarity, and I forget, but is it VGA? Not sure, but I'm looking for one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    The bulb in the projector will need to be replaced occasionaly and that will run about $200.00 from what I've seen. I got a warning to replace my bulb six months ago and it's still going strong.

Win
    Mine cost almost $500 to replace. I heard a loud POP and saw a puff of smoke. It took a freaking month to get the new lamp, but the projector works like a champ now.

I agree about the dark room. A basement with no windows is prime. I even built a platform to put one of my sofas up on and now I have stadium seating. As for the screen, I just painted a well prepared wall with a flat enamel. I bought some white paint with a few drops of black to reduce the glare. I bet that adding some powdered glass to the mix would make a very nice movie screen.

I also use my computer as my DVD player. The resolution is worlds ahead compared to S-video (It doesn't have component video). I bought a nicer sound card that has fiberoptic output. It rocks the house.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Things like that I usually like to buy at Costco, so if I am not happy I can simply return it with no hassle.

That makes sense. Just let me know if you change your mind. And again, don't go with the screen goo.

Where do I start?

Buying a projector and getting a crappy screen or just using a painted wall is wasting the purchase of a projector. The screen is what reflects the light so it makes sense to get a decent screen, I've never seen screen goo but I've heard it's pretty good but once it's on the wall there is no moving it.

I also recommend not getting to big of a screen! The bigger the screen the more area the light has to cover and won't look as bright. I've got a 92" diag. screen and it's just right (screen size also depends on how far you will be sitting away from the screen). Just don't get a huge ass screen cause your wall is huge ass.

There are also different materials for screens. A grey screen will help accentuate the black levels which will then help the lighter area appear brighter.

The more money you pay the brighter and better the picture is going to be. Although I don't think one needs to pay $3000 bucks for a good picture. Anything above that price and you really should know what you're looking at or have the money for it.

Projectors have their place but they are more and more becoming something you can have in every room. It is true the bulbs burn out and you have to replace it which can be expensive. It depends on how often you use the projector. We use ours for movies only right now and watch at least one per week. After 1 year the bulb is still going strong. The thing I like about projectors is the price. You can get a nice 720p projector for a $1000, add a screen for $500 and you've got a 92" screen not a 50" screen. Several years down the road when the bulb is ready to go sell the projector, buy a new and better one for the same $1000 and you're ready to go. Try buying a new LCD or plasma 50" display for a $1000 every 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    Just don't get a huge ass screen cause your wall is huge ass.
    What if I've got a huge ass?

Somebody stop me.

So what attribute are you looking for when you compare brightness? And what about a 1024p projector?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    Just don't get a huge ass screen cause your wall is huge ass.
    What if I've got a huge ass?

Somebody stop me.

So what attribute are you looking for when you compare brightness? And what about a 1024p projector?
    Projector brightness is measured in ANSI lumens. I think mine is 1500 ANSI lumens, and it's a bit on the dark side.

Getting a 1024p projector will add a feature you can't use. The "p" means Progressive Scan. Nobody broadcasts in progressive scan, and only a few HDDVD players produce a "p" signal. It will just show the 1024i picture if the output device doesn't support Progressive Scan. The "i" means Interlaced. Don't ask me what exactly that means. I just know that Progressive is supposedly better than Interlaced.

The thing I don't understand is Contrast Ratio. What does that mean? Whiter whites and darker blacks?

A very important feature is "keystoneing." It allows you to position the projector higher or lower than the optimum angle. The projector should be able to keystone an analog (non-serial) signal.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

The whole lumens thing is not a great factor in determining the brightness of a projector, it helps, but manufacuters don't have a universal system to determine a projectors brightness. Some projectors can be very bright in the middle of the screen and have a great lumen rating but thent he edges and corners can be dull. The best thing to do is look for reviews and go look at the projector yourself.

Contrast ratio is the difference between the blacks and whites, mostly how black the black is going to be. It's got the same rating issues that lumens have.

I think you guys are talking about 1080p and 1080i. If there is a 1024p projector you are paying for resolution you will never be able to use since it couldn't display 1080p but then has more than necessary to display 1080i or 720p. Just get a 720p projector and leave the suckers to buy a 1080p projector.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    If the lights are off, it looks good. But if the lights are on, you can barely see it.
    And depending on the backdrop it is shooting against makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    If the lights are off, it looks good. But if the lights are on, you can barely see it.
    And depending on the backdrop it is shooting against makes all the difference.
    You make a good point.

If you've got walls or cabinetry that is highly reflective it will brighten up the room similar to an open window. The stupid company I was working for built this big theater with expensive video equipment ($20,000 projector) and put in all this custom wook work with a nice shiny finish on it just perfect to brighten up that room, DUUUUHHHHHH! Good example of a company that is ONLY in it for the money and not for producing the best possible product.