Thread: Topaz Mountain

Topaz Mountain

We have a new camper and needed a weekend trip for it's maiden voyage so we headed to the desert.
    We drove to Topaz mountain for some rock hounding.
    The mountain is 150 miles from my place, all paved except the last half mile of gravel.
    The kids had a blast breaking rocks, climbing rocks, and a little atv riding.
    It was the perfect family weekend get together
    The kids took the pictures so here is what we have.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice camper Was it pretty warm out there this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Nice camper Was it pretty warm out there this time of year?
    It was 55 and sunny when we arrived, cold at night but even warmer the next day. I think close to the perfect time of year for the desert.

The camper is light weight and low profile for hauling, then pops up to a roomy and loaded interior. A big expensive tent mostly, but what it takes to get the wife to come along.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How long is the drive from SLC to it? I am wanting to take my kids down there. Would you say it would be fun for 3-4 year olds?

Is it easy to spot the topaz?

Geez, you did well in the topaz-hunting department. I really like that area-lots of cool areas to explore, and you get the minerals as a bonus . Kind of a fun warm-up for the canyon country.

Nice Blue Tick.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Would you say it would be fun for 3-4 year olds?
    I would say yes. Also, there are hot springs, petroglyphs, steam vents, Drum Mountains, and other cool things around that the kids might like.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks Scott. I guess I could poke around and find more info on that area, but does anyone have any useful, urls about Topaz mountain, handy to share?

Ok boys, all this talk of Topaz Mountain and Lehman Caves has prompted me and my family and one other family to make the trek over Spring Break. We will do one day at Topaz Mountain and one day at Lehman Caves. Any suggestions on how to spot the Topaz or where to look? I haven't been there since I was 12 and didn't know what to look for way back then. The pictures above are helpful but any other hints would be appreciated.
    Life is Good

Cool stuff, Topaz Mtn is definately on the list this spring. Hammer and rock sieve.

Nice trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Ok boys, all this talk of Topaz Mountain and Lehman Caves has prompted me and my family and one other family to make the trek over Spring Break. We will do one day at Topaz Mountain and one day at Lehman Caves. Any suggestions on how to spot the Topaz or where to look? I haven't been there since I was 12 and didn't know what to look for way back then. The pictures above are helpful but any other hints would be appreciated.
    I am definitely not an expert, we just had good luck this trip. I always look for areas that have been recently worked. If you can find a crack and get a wedge hammered into it and break a slab off you will likely spot gemstones. I found that a long skinny regular screwdriver was a lot of help to dig in soft spots and get the gems out. It is terribly addicting, dirty and fun!