Thread: Hidden Splendor / Chimney Canyon

Hidden Splendor / Chimney Canyon

We are headed down to the Hidden Splendor area in two weeks. We are planing on checking out the Muddy Creek Gorge, Ramp Canyon and up the Knotted Rope crack to check out the view and the heads of Miners Hollow and Quandary.
    Anyone been up Chimney Canyon? Is it worth taking a day to check out? Or is there anything else around there we should check out.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't done Chimney Canyon, so I can't comment. Other than that, here is my 2

Personally, I think Chimney Canyon is a great place to explore.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Hidden Splendor / Chimney Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    We are headed down to the Hidden Splendor area in two weeks. We are planing on checking out the Muddy Creek Gorge, Ramp Canyon and up the Knotted Rope crack to check out the view and the heads of Miners Hollow and Quandary.
    Anyone been up Chimney Canyon? Is it worth taking a day to check out? Or is there anything else around there we should check out.
    Thanks
    Knotted Rope (aka Miner's Hollow) is good when full of water, but right now it is likely to be kind of difficult, and still require a wet suit. Quandary is likely close to dry, might be a good bet. The Direct is likely to be in tough conditions and require a wetsuit, so be sure to bring the description and follow it carefully.

You can set up a return up Ramp by setting a rope. A long sling can be placed around a rock, and the rope set up as a toprope. Like HE said, Ramp by itself is worth no more than an hour or two.

Mud Canyon is pretty good, non-technical and should be dry, except crossing the river to get there. But not too exciting.

Chimney is supposed to be very, very pretty. Haven't made it there myself yet, shame on me.

If you want to stay dry, but rappel and get a good tour, consider the Knotted Rope Ridge Climb and Rap on my site. A fun day out, but requires carefully following the directions. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell

Tom

Thanks Tom. I overlooked the wetsuit issue. I wore a farmer john last year at this time in Miner's Hollow and would definitely recommend at least that or a good shortie. A full wetsuit will only keep you warmer.

P.S. How's the new 'puter?

Scott, do you have any pics of Chimney Canyon? I am having a hard time finding any online.

As far as the Knotted Rope Crack, We are not going to bring any gear and I HATE cold water. We are just going to hike around on the reef and enjoy the views.

Hard to beat the view.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Scott, do you have any pics of Chimney Canyon?
    Yes, but not in electronic form. I don't have any scanned and haven't been since the late 90's.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.